texas republicans discourage thinking in schools

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacefem

texas republicans discourage thinking in schools

Postby spacefem » Wed Jun 27, 19:45 2012

from the "you can't make this up" department, the texas republican party's 2012 platform is chock full of recommendations on educational policy & curriculum. this part is just downright funny:

The position causing the most controversy, however, is the statement that they oppose the teaching of "higher order thinking skills" -- a curriculum which strives to encourage critical thinking -- arguing that it might challenge "student's fixed beliefs" and undermine "parental authority."

source: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/2 ... 32097.html

so... students are supposed to have 100% fixed beliefs based on whatever their parents tell them, and then at the age of 18 they magically transform into thinking individuals? (or maybe just more texas republicans...)

helium

Re: texas republicans discourage thinking in schools

Postby helium » Thu Jun 28, 0:39 2012

What the fucking fuck? Once again Texas demonstrates its skill at making me clutch my head in terror, confusion and pain.
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"

Bork

Postby Bork » Thu Jun 28, 9:42 2012

Their big plan is to discourage critical thinking??? So they're going to fill Texas with a bunch of people who can't think for themselves and need to call mommy and daddy whenever there's a problem?

...yeah, no way that can go wrong.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Jun 28, 10:30 2012

so... students are supposed to have 100% fixed beliefs based on whatever their parents tell them, and then at the age of 18 they magically transform into thinking individuals? (or maybe just more texas republicans...)

Of course magic would develop critical thinking. No, they don't need such skills. Let a few wise patriarchs receive education to guide the flock.

*gag*

If their ideas aren't good enough to withstand a critical look, if their culture is so impovershed that it blows away with the most glancing bite of cynicism, then there's far more than critical thinking that will lead many to disobey and lose faith.

Also, since when did a study show that corporal punishment was effective in schools?

edit the sad parts

Postby edit the sad parts » Thu Jun 28, 10:43 2012

Not surprised they feel this way, just a bit surprised that they put it in writing for all to see(and ridicule). These are the same people who equate gays with criminals and child molesters, after all. There are obvious gaps in logic. I guess they don't want anyone to try and fill those gaps.

It would be nice if these people and their ilk got together and left society as a whole. They could go back to living in caves. I am sure that would suit them fine.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.

Aum

Postby Aum » Thu Jun 28, 16:25 2012

Suspension of thinking is the only way someone can be a staunch, GOP-supporting conservative in this day and age. Even the fiscal conservatives and moderates have largely abandoned the party.

Gotta tend to the crop and ensure people submit to dogma by keeping them stupid.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Amuro

Postby Amuro » Fri Jun 29, 19:02 2012

So when is this going to be implemented by The Texas Department of Education? But the only funny thing is it's not like critical thinking is being any way in most public school's they're designed to have most graduates to go work for someone else for the rest of their life.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jun 29, 19:09 2012

well I imagine that depends on who gets elected...

I'd guess they don't want them to magically turn into thinking people. I really don't think the current incarnation of the republican party wants people to be able to think about things. the repubs used to people I just disagreed with; now I think they've gone off the deep end. and that's not even hyperbole. there's a reason so many middle-ground conservatives have fled the party.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!

Amuro

Postby Amuro » Fri Jun 29, 21:52 2012

rowan wrote:well I imagine that depends on who gets elected...

I'd guess they don't want them to magically turn into thinking people. I really don't think the current incarnation of the republican party wants people to be able to think about things. the repubs used to people I just disagreed with; now I think they've gone off the deep end. and that's not even hyperbole. there's a reason so many middle-ground conservatives have fled the party.

Yeah that is very true especially after Jeb Bush said that stuff about Reagan and Bush 41wouldn't be welcomed in the Republican party of today. I assume sooner or later the GOP will get some political correction soon enough.

phantasmalkitty

Postby phantasmalkitty » Sat Jul 21, 4:05 2012

Please note that this is from Texas Republicans. Not everyone in Texas is a Republican or a Christian. I was born and raised in the Piney Woods of East Texas, and I am a Deist and a liberal. I now live in South Texas, and all my neighbors are Indian or Chinese. There are many Jewish people in this area as well, and I saw what looked to be two Buddhist monks in Wal-mart last week. The stereotype of the god-fearing, science-hating, backward, ignorant Texan is a lie. If you believe that stereotype, that is just another form of prejudice, and I fear the consequences for people like me, whose accents betray our origin every time we open our mouths.

As for this platform, it is ridiculous, but it looks like it's just a platform as of now. Hopefully it will never get implemented.

deanimal

Postby deanimal » Sat Jul 21, 10:59 2012

^As another liberal, non-Christian Texan, I agree. You have to admit, though, there's a lot of assholes here. Rick Perry being in office for as long as he has been is testament to that. The younger generation is a much higher percent liberal, I think, but we haven't taken over yet. Going to parts of the country where even older, rural people tend to be democrats more than republicans is always super weird for me, in an awesome way.
helium wrote:I went outside and suddenly there was no more gravity and my vagina could fly.
Sonic# wrote:Then the singularity happens. Then we meet God and fly into the sun. Then we save the whales.

kroniqua

Postby kroniqua » Sat Aug 4, 7:05 2012

i left texas 5 years ago. honestly the people are genuine and nice and look out for your interests, but i think there is still a lot of closed minded-ness. still its ignorant closed-mindedness. its easy to win people over if you just start talking. though they sound crazy, texans are mostly very friendly.

not everyone cares about politics and republicans... but i hate getting into debates when I'm there. i myself am an atheist a liberal, and i get along best with my super christian sister. we just don't talk about god. i think we have the same beliefs and hope for people. a lot of people in my family are teachers and they hate the state of education there.

Return to “Random”