Women's self defense

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Ana

Women's self defense

Postby Ana » Wed Jan 18, 18:09 2017

There's a lot of women's self defense courses nowadays, but I always wonder if any of those technics they talk about would be useful not just in theory but in real life or if it's just a way to make you spend your money. Have any of you frequented such courses or know something about those technics which might really help women facing assault?

luckypony

Re: Women's self defense

Postby luckypony » Thu Jan 19, 10:39 2017

Well, I take a course of kick boxing for over a year already. I think that self defence course is a good idea in such a case.

Aum

Postby Aum » Thu Jan 19, 14:29 2017

I've never been to one but I know many who have. The courses can't possibly teach comprehensive self-defense over a single weekend, but that's not the point. The point is to let women know the dynamics of attacks and what tools they have at their immediate disposal to save themselves. Popular media always makes it look like that women are easily subdued but the truth is that less than half of attacks are successful.

You'd be surprised how effective it is to scream savagely at an attacker while going for the throat, the crotch, the eyes, whatever else. You do what you can.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Jan 19, 16:10 2017

I took one when I was about 13 and all I remember now is that pressure points exist behind the ear. At the time it felt fairly useful I think.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Fri Jan 20, 10:40 2017

I've never taken an official one. But as a kid I got a bunch through school and brownies and such but those were about how to defend yourself as a child. In high school one of the Phys Ed sections was two weeks of defense (the only part of phys Ed that wasn't a waste of my time). I felt that was very useful it covered how to break the hold of an assailant depending on where they grabbed you, as well as the ultimate technique of "Grab Twist Pull" anytime a man's testicles were in reach. It taught us the proper way to hold keys in our hands as a weapon and how the best defence once an altercation has started is a good offence (most men don't expect a real fight. Screaming savagely (instead of a "help me" kind of scream) while trying to key their eyes/throat is one of the best ways to throw them off their game.

I keep meaning to take another one geared towards women out of their adolescence. Beyond how useful they are I think they're fun and interesting.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jan 20, 17:52 2017

There are definitely good ones and not so good ones. Like people are like "hey martial arts!" and as someone who has a black belt I'm like yanno, that's just not the point of martial arts mostly. You need a course that is going to help you overcome the inhibitions instilled in us from very young. Something that teaches how to disable someone else and then get away. Something that deals with de-escalation; how to carry yourself so that you're less of a target, etc. But mostly the thing about overcoming inhibitions of hitting someone hard enough to disable them; that is by far the hardest thing.

That's not to say my martial art training wouldn't be useful, my reflexes are good, my knowledge of painful anatomy is good, but in the end, my self defense course that I took would be way more useful. Thankfully I have not had to put it into practice.

Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Jan 20, 18:18 2017

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Fri Jan 20, 22:56 2017

Proven serious threat is often too late. You're not going to do all that much damage to a throat with your keys, but the serious attempt is going to make an attacker think thrice about their chosen target.

Galen

Postby Galen » Sat Jan 21, 7:42 2017

I took a Model Mugging course in Boston back in the '80s. It was very intense, but very empowering. They're still in business, but only in certain areas. Worth a google!

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Sat Jan 21, 8:10 2017

Ana

Postby Ana » Sat Jan 21, 10:15 2017

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Jan 21, 12:49 2017

I've been to demonstrations that were school sponsored/mandatory but not an active class. I would say that the demonstrations are not particularly helpful, probably because of what Rowan mentioned and overcoming inhibitions.

Tweek

Postby Tweek » Sun Jan 22, 12:42 2017

I'm surprised that nobody suggested:

1. Kick him in the groin
2. Cover him in kerosene
3. Set fire to him

It is the Spacefem way! :kkf:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Sun Jan 22, 14:49 2017

Bork

Postby Bork » Mon Jan 23, 13:15 2017

I took self defense (as a PE class!) in highschool. It was a semester long course and we went over a lot of different defense strategies. I think the best, and most beneficial part, was that they had actual attackers that we got to practice hitting full force to develop muscle memory for those situations. It's been a while, but I feel confidant that I would remember enough from the class to have a decent chance at fighting off an attacker.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Kittysu

Postby Kittysu » Thu Jan 26, 15:33 2017

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jan 27, 9:41 2017

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Jan 27, 10:37 2017

I am going to note that generally kicking testicles is not an effective self defense mechanism, as it only works about half the time (the other half it just makes them madder). I know kicking is not what was mentioned there but generally you're not going to have an opportunity to grab like that either.

Go for the knees (sideways, the way they're not supposed to bend) if you can, clap the ears (both at the same time, I also think this is a hard thing to accomplish), and otherwise eyes, nose, throat. The latter two can kill someone so are less good because then you could wind up in bad legal trouble but do it if it's what your opportunity is.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Jan 27, 17:03 2017

I'd imagine grabbing someone's balls would be nearly impossible through jeans..
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nech

Postby Nech » Sun Jan 29, 13:17 2017

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Kittysu

Postby Kittysu » Sat Feb 4, 14:03 2017

Kittysu

Postby Kittysu » Sat Feb 4, 14:15 2017

Kittysu

Postby Kittysu » Sat Feb 4, 14:20 2017

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Feb 4, 14:22 2017

^ Would you consolidate replies into one post in the future? It makes things easier to read/follow.

Kittysu

Postby Kittysu » Sat Feb 4, 14:38 2017

Return to “Random”