If America's First?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

melsbells

If America's First?

Postby melsbells » Sat Feb 11, 16:24 2017

I noticed on NPR, about a video from the Netherlands claiming to be second if America is first, then other countries getting in their bids to be second, but didn't bother reading beyond the blurb. Then the next day, spouse tells me about it because Finland also made a . Minutes after watching the video, a friend sends me the video.

My priviledge was definitely showing at times when I laughed, but it surprisingly got out so much frustration. I'm of two minds here. One, what Trump is doing is serious and making light of the situation only serves to mask that distasteful truth and let it happen. Two, what Trump is doing is serious and offering a way to laugh about the situation is empowering and allows us to move on to do something about it.

Disclaimer: As of yet, I've only watched Finland's video.

Edit: :moose:

iamthegate

Re: If America's First?

Postby iamthegate » Sun Feb 12, 1:51 2017

Watch the German one, it's great. It's true.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Feb 12, 11:31 2017

Ah I'll have to watch later. What do people think about their pointing out their own racist (& sexist) things? I'm glad people are recognizing them, but are they going to try to fix them?

Bork

Postby Bork » Sun Feb 12, 17:50 2017

The moose are bad hombres!!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

felipefs

Postby felipefs » Sun Feb 12, 18:53 2017

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Feb 12, 20:57 2017

I mean more dealing with current racism. Here in the US it's a big issue that our history is taught incorrectly but also that we think all the problems have been solved.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Feb 18, 14:50 2017

Germany did a much better job at obviously insulting Trump, but their video also made me wildly uncomfortable. I hope these videos really do cause people to be more introspective. With so many populist politicians in Europe gaining support on the path Trump paved, I think they can be seen as self warnings. Although Finland's video was overall less critical of the two I've watched, the way they talked about the civil war was particularly significant, a topic that's usually avoided.

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Feb 18, 20:42 2017

The mock videos do a good job of pointing out America's infantile political system. Only immature nations and societies who believe in zero sum game non-sense think that they're number one. There's no "I" in TEAM and there's no end point on a circle. Everyone on this planet is equal, despite what window dressing they think makes them special.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Return to “Random”