Is beauty a cultural fabrication?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

space_guy

Is beauty a cultural fabrication?

Postby space_guy » Tue Mar 7, 13:05 2017

In the last years, there are more and more events like photo sessions for overweight women with the goal of delivering the message that beauty comes in all shapes and that the idea that only certain characteristics are beautiful is the result of culture. What do you think about the subject? Are we born with a predisposition to find some phisical characteristics beautiful and others not or is it only culture? And aside from that, could these campaigns have the negative effect of promoting unhealthiness?

rowan

Re: Is beauty a cultural fabrication?

Postby rowan » Tue Mar 7, 15:20 2017

1) we already know that what constitutes "beauty" is neither constant through time, and is driven by society
2) being "overweight" is not unhealthy. I'm not your google but there's plenty of literature out there.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Mar 7, 21:24 2017

What we find beautiful is primarily a function of culture and environment. Who's looking also matters a lot, which is why numerical scores for beauty are very imprecise - beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
*ahem*

But no, I don't think these campaigns are inspiring people to be overweight. I don't see any causal vector there. (And as rowan noted, that's not the same thing as "unhealthiness.")

Aum

Postby Aum » Wed Mar 8, 1:20 2017

It's hard to put words to my observation, but I would say that there's innate beauty and learned beauty. On the innate side, humans seem to find symmetry more attractive than asymmetry. There's also pheromonal response, which is highly subjective and varies person to person. These, among other things, form innate attraction patterns.

Learned beauty, or learned attraction, is when you initially may not be attracted to someone, but the longer you're around them and get to know them their other subjective qualities enhance their attraction level.

Beauty is truth and truth is beauty. Whatever is beautiful to you informs your aesthetic and can tell you a lot about yourself. It may be culturally informed but ultimately it's individually derived.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

space_guy

Postby space_guy » Wed Mar 8, 13:43 2017

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Wed Mar 8, 14:44 2017

space_guy

Postby space_guy » Thu Mar 9, 14:10 2017

Return to “Random”