What major life experience changed you?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Postby spacebot » Thu May 18, 2:00 2017

Unvoiced_Apollo

Re: What major life experience changed you?

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue May 23, 7:05 2017

My mom telling others I was converting to Mormonism without ever discussing it with me. That was the catalyst that made me question what I really believed and eventually came to terms realizing I didn't believe.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue May 23, 7:33 2017

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:My mom telling others I was converting to Mormonism without ever discussing it with me. That was the catalyst that made me question what I really believed and eventually came to terms realizing I didn't believe.

Pardon the nosiness, but how old were you?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Tue May 23, 8:33 2017

DarkOne wrote:
Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:My mom telling others I was converting to Mormonism without ever discussing it with me. That was the catalyst that made me question what I really believed and eventually came to terms realizing I didn't believe.

Pardon the nosiness, but how old were you?

Probably about 12 or 13.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue May 23, 9:56 2017

Unvoiced_Apollo wrote:Probably about 12 or 13.

Yeah, by that age you question stuff around you more than you blindly believe.

For me, I'd say having kids. Changed my plans, my goals, my priorities. Forced me to adjust my temperament, gave me a new filters through which to observe my surroundings and new ways to process information. It has definitely made me more flexible and more sympathetic to circumstances different from my own. I'd never really pictured myself as a parent, so having kids almost feels like having jumped to an alternate timeline...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rinn

Postby rinn » Wed May 24, 11:01 2017

negative experience that changed me: my parents' divorce while I was attending high school

positive experience that changed me: living on my own, without a boyfriend, or parent, or inlaws...(I've experienced all those three, too)

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Wed May 24, 13:52 2017

My first time abroad, traveling alone, was a great boon to me learning to be comfortable alone when among people, if that makes sense. I've always been comfortable alone, but felt awkward when alone in public situations where people are usually together, like at pubs or exhibits. I learned how to take the initiative in socializing with strangers, or occasionally and deliberately not socializing when I needed the space, whereas before I almost always let others take the initiative.

Having a little brother after a decade of being the youngest child made me into a more nurturing person. It also gave me the necessary experience to be great with kids. I'm not conscious of it, but my wife observes that I usually engage little kids, adolescents, and teens.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat May 27, 2:34 2017

Although major life experiences probably contributed, I put most major changes in who I am down to small occurrences that pushed me over the edge. For instance, reading a book and finally having something "click", although life changing, isn't a major life experience.

The MoUsY spell-checker

Postby The MoUsY spell-checker » Sun May 28, 2:32 2017

It's hard to decide which experiences are more life changing.

Moving from Hong Kong to Sydney was an important one. I moved there for my last two years of high school, and it was a much-needed change because I have been slacking off at school all along even though I had good grades, and the new environment was a good motivation to take my studies more seriously. (I started slacking off again later on at university, but not quite to the extent I once did at school.)

Choosing to ride a bicycle as my primary mode of transport was also a major change to my life, not just because I became physically fitter, but because I then started looking for group riding events, and the people I met on those bike rides in turn introduced me to other people.

The other main one is transitioning. It has improved my life in ways I never expected. The best part is that I'm no longer perpetually nervous like I used to be.
:mouse: ~The MoUsY spell-checker~ :cheese:
:heart: Love me, love my bicycle. :bike:

Return to “Random”