Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

do you like your family?

Postby spacebot » Sun Jun 25, 2:02 2017

do you like your family?

Sonic#

Re: do you like your family?

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jun 25, 2:23 2017

There's a fair bit of range to my family. I'm tight with my siblings. I only talk about monthly with parents. I used to do better, but my dad keeps pretty busy and my mom, well, let me just offer this as illustration:

Me: "What've you been up to, Mom?"
Mom: "Well, [her boyfriend] is [whatever he's done]."

In other words, she spends more time talking about the boyfriend that wants nothing to do with us than talking about herself.

I love the grandparents that are still living. My cousins, aunts, and uncles are also fairly close, though politics is touch-and-go between all of us.

octarineoboe

Postby octarineoboe » Sun Jun 25, 10:33 2017

I like most of my family most of the time.
...this reminds me, I should call them.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Jun 25, 18:29 2017

I'm pretty tight with my close family. Extended is hit and miss.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sun Jun 25, 18:34 2017

Sometimes ;)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Mon Jun 26, 6:09 2017

My nuclear family I adore. My Family-of-Origin I love. My dad's side of the family I have nothing to do with, and my mom's side is alright but we're not hugely close (last interaction with my grandma I had was when I got angry at her for sending me a stupid chain mail (those still exist?) about how we shouldn't have to change the words of our anthem from referencing God because a CBC poll showed that only 14% of people wanted to change it.)

Galen

Postby Galen » Mon Jun 26, 10:16 2017

The thing I like best about my blood relatives is that they all had died by the time I turned thirteen. Whereupon I immediately began collecting surrogate moms and aunties and big sisters and girlfriends and such to create my chosen family, which is basically the best family ever. I adore my primary mom-type like crazy. She unofficially adopted me when I was eighteen. We live about 30 minutes apart and talk every evening on the phone and text about seventeen thousand times a day. She comes down to my neck of the woods every Saturday afternoon for an overnight. We have dinner and watch Doctor Who and on Sunday morning have a big breakfast and do the crossword puzzle together before she heads back to her house.

Thirty years on, all the folks I've connected with have morphed into an odd, rowdy, loving, and widespread-but-interconnected familial bunch. I even have extended-family type connections with my neighbors, ha! I can't imagine a more perfect family constellation for my situation. I feel lucky to have been freed of my toxic birth family at such a young age, because it gave me the room to pick and choose awesome people to be my real family.

Well now I'm all mushy and having that sappy "life is so good" half-crying feeling, so, yeah, thanks a lot for that, spacebot.

-skinnies eyes in all directions at once-

Nech

Postby Nech » Mon Jun 26, 11:15 2017

Let me return to this question when the dust of my transition settles cause the jury is still out on about 50% of 'em lol
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Return to “Random”