What was the weirdest food you've ever eaten?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Postby spacebot » Sun Jul 9, 2:04 2017

melsbells

Re: What was the weirdest food you've ever eaten?

Postby melsbells » Sun Jul 9, 14:07 2017

I have a hard time picking superlatives. I've had a lot of food that's strange to my American palate since moving here. Mämmi is a seaonal (Easter) rye porridge that a lot of people hate and is unlike anything I've eaten before (I got lots of Finnish points for liking it). I've eaten sodium chloride flavored food, which I cannot recommend to anyone, but that's not exactly food, and not just from the perspective that it's simply not something I would eat. Maybe deathly poisonous mushrooms, false morels. The taste is really appealing, but they have to be handled and processed thoroughly and carefully. Luckily I've been taught from a family that knows what they're doing, because people have died inhaling the cooking water when trying to remove the toxin. Yeah, I'm going with weirdest food I've ever eaten being something that would kill me if not processed correctly.

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Sun Jul 9, 20:55 2017

I can't think of any weird food. I guess the weirdest would be brains, but that's not very weird. When we lost our EBT card, I was eating tortillas with only sriracha on them. I guess that's pretty weird, too.

I used to drink some really weird stuff. My friends and I would take all the gross liquid stuff, expired or not, out of the refrigerator and mix it all together. We'd then sit in the circle and play a very gross game of spin the bottle. There was no making out involved.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Mon Jul 10, 7:08 2017

Hmmm. The weirdest food that I eat regularly is broccoli with nutritional yeast and sriracha.

The weirdest food I've ever eaten is hard to say. I don't really tend to eat too many weird foods - like I never eat any exotic meats or anything. I'm up for trying anything veg though.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Mon Jul 10, 9:50 2017

Depends on the definition of weird, and of "food".
Weirdest animals I've eaten are scorpion and silk worms (which take the cake for most disgusting experience I've had eating something). I don't consider either of those "food".
I find most meat/gelatin loaves so loved in German cuisine extremely weird and generally a NOPE, but that's just me. I did give them a try.
Not really disgusting, but perplexing to me: patbingsu -- plain shaved ice topped with sweetened red beans, apparently a crazy popular dessert in Korea and China, but I just don't get it.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Galen

Postby Galen » Tue Jul 11, 7:08 2017

Rocky Mountain oysters. A long long time ago, when I was still a kid. All I really remember about it is that they were very chewy.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Tue Jul 11, 19:09 2017

I don't think I've ever eaten anything all that weird. A couple different kinds or reptile meat I guess (I have decided I do not like reptile meat)

Return to “Random”