SKYRIM

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, MFS, helium

Sonic#

SKYRIM

Postby Sonic# » Sat Nov 12, 8:50 2011

Did anyone here buy the game on its release yesterday? Is anyone planning to play the game? Is anyone eager to get back to playing the game again?

After a futile trip in which I learned that Wal-marts around here close at midnight, I downloaded it on Steam, and started playing it late Friday morning. (I took a day off.) Now I'm doing make-up work, but it was so worth it.

For now, I will just say one thing: going down a waterfall is fun. Going down three of them is even better. :D

Mordak

Re: SKYRIM

Postby Mordak » Sat Nov 12, 9:19 2011

Screw skyrim, Call of DUTY 3! Just finished it. Graphics were sweeeeeeeeeeet!

Nothing will ever be better than Morrowind in the Elder Scroll Series.
"mordie-pordie-pudding and pie" kicked your butt and made you cry :P

cwbyrvr

Postby cwbyrvr » Sat Nov 12, 17:24 2011

I also got it on Steam Thursday night and started playing as soon as soon as it would let me. I've logged 8.6 hours so far (was off Friday as well, though that was just a coincidence). It would be more but I had plans with a friend on Friday as well, hehe.

I just got off work, took a shower, and am now eating before I get back into it because otherwise I'll be really hungry but not get up to get food. I'm not even that far yet, I have spent an awful lot of time reading every book I come across which I haven't already read.

My favorite part so far has been brawling in the Inns...

This is relevant.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

cwbyrvr

Postby cwbyrvr » Sun Nov 13, 19:37 2011

Mordak wrote:Nothing will ever be better than Morrowind in the Elder Scroll Series.

Sorry to double post, but... I think you should rethink that stance. At least give the game a shot.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Mon Nov 14, 7:46 2011

I've been playing for a while now. I like it better than Morrowind.

I have lots of gold.
I lost my housecarl Lydia, found her, and then proceeded to accidentally kill her with a dragon shout. Whoops.
I have a house! It keeps all of my dragon bones and scales, because that's, like, 70 lbs. each, and I've killed six or more.
I'm a werewolf. I wonder idly if it's possible to be a vampire werewolf.
Exploration s really fun in this game. Cyrodiil definitely had a shape to it, and so it felt somewhat smaller since I could think of each part of the map as a section. In this case, the map is far more square, the elevation differences really matter, and... it just seems so vast! It's like Morrowind all over again.
I also like occasionally getting in over my head. Giants, yes, but also the more advanced Draugr in groups with disarming shouts. They are ow.
Currently I'm trying to sneak into an embassy and find documents. My character isn't good at sneaking. Invisibility potions FTW!

Otherwise, I like brawling too. :D

Mordak

Postby Mordak » Mon Nov 14, 9:09 2011

It's something I'll buy in a couple of years, I think.... I got right into morrowind but because its not a lan game its not so much fun for me.

I've been waiting so long for Diablo 3 to come out! And when it does, I dare say I'll be trading my car in for a new pc to run it nicely.
"mordie-pordie-pudding and pie" kicked your butt and made you cry :P

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Nov 14, 14:47 2011

cwbyrvr wrote:
Mordak wrote:Nothing will ever be better than Morrowind in the Elder Scroll Series.

Sorry to double post, but... I think you should rethink that stance. At least give the game a shot.

Screw ALL of those games. Being poor and feeling too old for video games is where it's at! When I find one where I don't get my ass handed to me by 12 year old kids online, I'll jump right on it.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

monk

Postby monk » Mon Nov 14, 14:56 2011

Storage and Disposal wrote:When I find one where I don't get my ass handed to me by 12 year old kids online, I'll jump right on it.

and here ya go

oh, and welcome to the old farts club, bang your cane practice on tuesdays, get off my lawn drills on friday nights.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

cwbyrvr

Postby cwbyrvr » Mon Nov 14, 21:16 2011

Storage and Disposal wrote:Screw ALL of those games. Being poor and feeling too old for video games is where it's at! When I find one where I don't get my ass handed to me by 12 year old kids online, I'll jump right on it.

But you don't have to play Skyrim with anyone! That's the beauty of it. I love going back to single player games after getting sick of MMOs through WoW and Rift. Not having to deal with other living people is fabulous.

I've logged about 30 hours by this point. I really haven't even done all that much, especially quest-wise, but I have had tons of fun regardless. I'm just shy of level 17 mostly from crafting things and lockpicking. I have been running around doing some miscellaneous quests and am kinda avoiding the main quest lines for the time being for no real reason. I do have a house as well, I keep my housecarl at home rather than as a companion because I don't want her to die. So she just guards my stuff, mostly. My house is full of books. Books, everywhere. I filled the shelves in no time at all, so I have them piled on my tables and other various non book shelf shelves. I have a book problem. I can't seem to leave them behind so long as I don't have to "steal" it to claim it. I have multiple copies of the same books, even... should probably sell the extras but most are worth only 1-5 gold anyway. I need another house for the rest of my books, most of them are in a chest right now.

Wes

Postby Wes » Thu Nov 17, 3:13 2011

I'm having an absolute blast with Skyrim. Right now I'm doing mostly magey stuff except when I run outta mana I pull out the 2h axe and go to work. It freezes prolly 3 times a day on PS3 though. =\ I need to hook it up to the internet and download the patch they put out.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Nov 17, 7:22 2011

So my playing has slowed down this week as school has gotten in the way. But I've found something beautiful. This is an exploration spoiler.

Blackreach. Under the Dwemer ruins I went into (which have kept the strange bronze factory designs), I came out into this giant cave. There were light-giving fungi and pinpricks on the wall giving off a fluorescent blue light. Dwemer ruins dotted the landscape. Some of the ruins were inhabited by those darn annoying goblin-like creatures. Others contained elevators back to the surface, elevators that would come up a great distance from the ruins I originally entered. The cavern is large enough to have a river, waterfalls, palaces, and the like. I love it.

Hufflepuff

Postby Hufflepuff » Thu Nov 17, 20:46 2011

My nephew got it, and being a long-time Elder Scrolls fan, I started playing. Got about fifteen hours logged so far. Pretty much not gonna be playing any more. Sorry to say, huge disappointment.

Normal combat is boring. It was boring in Arena, and it's been boring ever since. I thought the death combos and dual-wielding would alleviate that somewhat, but they don't; the combos are just animations (ripped from Assassin's Creed, it seems) that get old after the fiftieth or so time, and dual-wielding adds nothing to the gameplay.

Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind and even Oblivion made up for boring hack-and-slash with their extensive spell creation systems; I feel confident that essentially nobody ever played a purely non-magical character in any of those games, except as a challenge a la a speedrun, because straight combat is monotonous. The discarding of spellcraft entirely in Skyrim was a huge, perhaps the huge, fatal mistake. Fallout 3's combat is more diverse.

Sure, the spells themselves are be more diverse since they don't have to be able to be manipulated by the end-user, but for me and I think most long-time ES fans, spellcraft was where it was at. I'd've been perfeclty happy with a severely reduced spellcraft system, with most stuff like the Flames spell being changed to Powers. But to completely nix it? Huge disappointment.

I also thought fighting dragons would be amazingly fun, but it's unfortunately as boring and monotonous as fighting anything else, because the hack-and-slash combat mechanic is so old-school (in a bad way) and played out.

The world itself is awesome; a thousand times better than the generic crap they pulled in Oblivion. The most fun I've had so far has simply been exploring.

The dungeons are the best of any Elder Scrolls game by a wide, wide margin. I feel more like I'm playing something like Zelda and less like I'm wandering through a featureless maze (which is how dungeons felt in older ES games). I giggled like a little girl when I had to use what amounts to Samus Aran's Speed Dash ability to get through three auto-closing iron gates. And Whirlwind Sprinting off cliffs just for the heck of it is fun, too.

I love the item crafting, too; I'm much happier breaking down the spoils I strip off the chumps I murder into parts than selling them to a vendor who has 17 gold in his coffer, then spending an hour hunting down every other shopkeep in the area to try and sell off all my junk.

I didn't at first, but have come to love the Standing Stones replacing Birthsigns, since you can change them when you want.

I think the races were greatly improved and balanced, too. The improvement coming from every race having Powers, the balance coming from changing racial innates. In Morrowind, for example, you'd be stupid to play as anything but an Altmer Atronach if you were going for mostly-spellcasting. In Skyrim, every race feels equally valid for any style of play. Big improvement.

I love the way Skill Perks are handled. Oblivion sorta fudged it; it tried to just copy-paste Fallout 3, which I always felt didn't work well for an Elder Scrolls game.

But all of those things are minor, and don't make up for the fact that combat is boring, removing spellcrafting was a huge mistake and the gameplay is still ultimately the exact same as it's been for almost ten years now, since Morrowind; I spend more time rifling through crates and fingering dead bodies than anything else. In 2002, that was acceptable. It's nearly 2012; I expected more.

All in all, I'm disappointed because essentially, Skyrim is the exact same as Oblivion. All of the improvements - although there's some really good ones - are ultimately auxillary. The core gameplay is the same. Well, actually, worse considering the removal of spellcrafting.

As for random, equally-small nitpicks...

I like the Fallout style lockpicking, it's better than Oblivion style, but still thought they could've come up with something new. Or at least given the option for Arena/Daggerfall/Morrowind style; just click a button and it tells you whether you succeeded, and you can just keep trying until your lockpick wears out. Because I know there's a passionate minority who hates minigame-type skill checks. I'm not one of 'em, but still.

They did nothing new with Alchemy. Yawn. Again, it was fun in 2002, but I want more now.

Having no character stats sucks. The dungeons feel like Zelda in a good way. The Health/Magicka/Stamina bars feel like Zelda in a bad way. I mean, Skyrim is scarsely an RPG anymore; it's more like Bioshock: Medieval than anything. It really doesn't feel like an RPG, and I wanted to play an RPG.

Enchanting sucks. This is, of course, due to the fact that spellcrafting was removed, but still. They could have at least returned the ability for you to make cast-enchantments on clothing, and permanent enchantments on weapons, instead of forcing all clothing to make permaenchantments and all weapons on-strike enchantments. And dividing up what enchantments are allowed on what pieces of armor is even worse; it just adds a headache of planning and rifling through FAQs to do for me to get the kind of setup I want.

The voice acting is, once again, nails-on-a-chalkboard. Just utterly dead, lifeless, emotionless amateur amateur voice acting work. I can't take a single thing anyone says seriously. And this is one of the things Bethesda said they improved!

What the eff? No Levitate again! Why? Why why why? That's the funnest of the spells! If they were worried it'd make it too easy to sequence break, they could've just made it that you can only obtain the spell after beating the damn game, they didn't have to take it out again! WTF?

Five years from now, after the fan community has produced extensive, extensive mods (at least returning spellcrafting), I'll give it another whirl. As it is, I'm hanging up my horned helmet and lamenting the end of the Elder Scrolls series; Oblivion the death knell and Skyrim the funerary rites.

I wish I'd never played Morrowind. I'd've probably liked Oblivion and flippin' loved Skyrim if I hadn't been spoiled by Morrowind. Easily the second-best Western RPG of all time (the first being Planescape: Torment, naturally). Ehh, such is life.
Marry hatter ladle limb, itch fleas worse widest snore.
An ever-wear debt Marry win, door lamp worse shorter gore.

Return to “Random Weirdos”