No votes
None
6%
Other
No votes

Total votes : 31

What gender do you identify as?

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Jan 2, 0:44 2012

Okay, so there has been a lot of assumptions lately about the gender distribution on our website. While I feel we have a pretty diverse membership, it seems the majority of our members ARE women, but I realized I don't actually have any idea what the distribution IS. I am polling this in the interest of curiosity and science! I am trying to structure this poll in a way that is all-inclusive but easy to see percentages of. If I missed your option, please let me know.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Re: What gender do you identify as?

Postby Tweek » Mon Jan 2, 1:03 2012

I'm a boy; at least I think I am; if not I've been using the wrong facilities for over forty years :P
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!
Tweek
Coffee Freak
Coffee Freak

Postby newlydiscovered » Mon Jan 2, 1:10 2012

I am woman. Rawr.
:pirateflag: Daughter of the fiercest pirate captain in high space, and pirate wench of the SNSDW

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:Newly is Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-appled whore of Eroticon 6!
newlydiscovered
Happy Little Vegemite
Happy Little Vegemite

Postby cwbyrvr » Mon Jan 2, 3:45 2012

It might have been nice to include specific trans/cis options for man and woman. At any rate, I am a cis female. I am mostly certain of this.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil

Postby Sonic# » Mon Jan 2, 9:13 2012

I guess man.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Mon Jan 2, 12:19 2012

cwbyrvr wrote:It might have been nice to include specific trans/cis options for man and woman. At any rate, I am a cis female. I am mostly certain of this.

I was thinking, this poll is specifically about gender (not sex) and therefore you could just pick your gender, even if it was different from your sex, and we could just say all cis women and all trans women were just women. Is this a faux pas? (I don't know any transgendered people, really, so I honestly don't know.)
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby edit the sad parts » Mon Jan 2, 14:15 2012

I identify as a woman.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.
edit the sad parts
philophobia
philophobia

Postby Neko » Mon Jan 2, 16:09 2012

I go by woman as default. I don't ever feel like a woman (or like a man or anything else, for that matter). But I only accept female pronouns and wouldn't care to be referred to in any other form so I suppose that makes me a woman.

I'm just tired of my gender being so damn important to everyone when it comes to choices I make or interests I have. (Not talking about this poll, I mean meatspace and the rest of the internet.)
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t = 1
Neko
TOUCH NOT THE CAT
TOUCH NOT THE CAT

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Jan 2, 16:23 2012

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:I was thinking, this poll is specifically about gender (not sex) and therefore you could just pick your gender, even if it was different from your sex, and we could just say all cis women and all trans women were just women. Is this a faux pas? (I don't know any transgendered people, really, so I honestly don't know.)

Yeah, I was under the impression that not including specifics such as those would be more liberating. "Yeah, I don't have a penis, so I'm technically a woman, but I feel in my heart that I'm a man." Well, okay, then you are a man. There's no need for further classification.
Dr. Mung-Mung wrote:He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world.
Storage and Disposal
You address omnipotence, tread carefully
You address omnipotence, tread carefully

Postby The Other Lizard » Mon Jan 2, 17:06 2012

I'm a woman.
"Radical" simply means "grasping things at the root" - Angela Davis :tree:
The Other Lizard
quiet squamata
quiet squamata

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Jan 3, 0:07 2012

Neko wrote:I go by woman as default. I don't ever feel like a woman (or like a man or anything else, for that matter). But I only accept female pronouns and wouldn't care to be referred to in any other form so I suppose that makes me a woman.

Yeah, I felt weird about picking "woman" too, because I don't ever particularly feel like a woman or a man... but then, I am very comfortable with my female body, dress in a way that is feminine, play up my feminine sex appeal and was raised as a girl, so I guess that makes me a woman.
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby monk » Tue Jan 3, 1:50 2012

Rainbow Dolphins wrote: I don't ever particularly feel like a woman or a man...

This seems pretty normal to me, I mean if you don't have a reference point to judge from like a major life change when you went from feeling one way to feeling another then what you feel is just that and I don't think it can be labeled.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby great girl wonder » Tue Jan 3, 12:16 2012

I am a woman.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?
great girl wonder
Someday you'll meet the real me
Someday you'll meet the real me

Postby Daktoria » Tue Jan 3, 14:15 2012

The poll could have used an internal/external sense of self modifier. Some people define gender role by personal experience. Others define gender role by social interpretation.

I'm a guy hands down, but society calls me a woman all the time due to weakness, openmindedness, idealism, understanding, and/or sensitivity. Before, it was all misconstrued as lack of confidence, and over time, it became a self-fulfilling prophecy.

You get alienated after being mocked over and over. You try to overcome it, but... society won't have it. Society likes to pile on top of those who suffer, and it creates "altruistic" dependency to demand the abused forgive their abusers.

Many women seem to suffer from this a lot too. They get stuck in "Stockholm Syndrome" relationships where they pragmatically learn to love the men who tease their minds into oblivion.
Daktoria
established
established

Postby rowan » Tue Jan 3, 14:27 2012

Daktoria wrote:I'm a guy hands down.

Then click the "man" option. Who cares what society says?
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Tue Jan 3, 17:10 2012

The topic is "what gender do you identify as," so I'm asking what your gender is in terms of self-evaluation, not what society evaluates you as.
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby Daktoria » Tue Jan 3, 18:30 2012

Gender isn't a social construct?
Daktoria
established
established

Postby Sonic# » Tue Jan 3, 19:40 2012

It is in part. It's also an identification. Once again, the two are not a binary.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby drunken dragon » Tue Jan 3, 20:25 2012

I am a woman.
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.
drunken dragon
I like where this is going.
I like where this is going.

Postby Tookie » Wed Jan 4, 14:16 2012

We had an interesting conversation in a class about how many of us identified as "women" vs as "females" - I sometimes use woman, but usually with a qualifier: young woman, queer woman, etc. I use "girl" more often, which is somewhat tongue in cheek.

Also, re: the trans question, I think the question as worded is totally acceptable. Many trans folks do not wish to use the trans label, and those who do (eg. someone who identifies as a trans man) could select other.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?
Tookie
Spleentastic!
Spleentastic!

Postby monkeypoop » Wed Jan 4, 18:06 2012

I suppose I identify as a woman, but honestly, the word "woman" seems a little too adult and mature for me. I identify more with the word "girl."
monkeypoop
I have a nose.
I have a nose.

Postby Nachos » Sun Jan 8, 17:52 2012

I am female. I identify as a woman, and I have all the parts that society would say makes me a woman.
No thanks, I already have a :penguin:

A woman is like a tea bag. You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Nachos
with cheese...
with cheese...

Postby she_rat » Wed Jan 11, 2:25 2012

i was born female and whilst i have no wish to be male,i'm not thrilled at being female and i don't feel i really fit into a gender catagory. i feel i am in the middle of the gender spectrum...i think i'm just me. i wish that my gender wasn't something that had to be labelled (not here but in 'real time').
"tired of crowd searching, telepathy and hope. watch the stars, predict the past and change the world with a silver eclipse. the only thing that's permanent is destruction, we're all going to disappear, trying to leave something more permanent than myself." Sarah Kane
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/outfitappropriate
she_rat
established
established

Postby Mathmo » Wed Jan 11, 5:09 2012

I identify as a woman. And "woman" rather than "girl", fairly strongly, and I have done since about age 20 - perhaps this makes me unusual? I think things like being married really young have influenced this.
Mathmo
established
established

Return to Polls