Spacefem.com

Recipe: Vegan Lentil Soup

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Recipe: Vegan Lentil Soup

Postby spacefem » Fri Jan 13, 5:36 2012

What's a tasty warm treat on a hot day? Homemade soup! This is my rough draft of lentil soup, as part of my 2012 resolution to eat less meat (and more lentils, they're really tasty). I looked up some recipes and sort of combined what I had loosely based on them and it worked out fine, so I'm gonna go ahead and say you can too!

Most important ingredients:
1 pound of lentils
1 yellow onion
1-3 garlic cloves
Vegetable oil
1 can crushed tomatoes

Highly recommended ingredients:
4-6 carrots
3-4 celery stalks
1 tsp of whatever spices you've got around. I used cumin, thyme, and a bay leaf. I bet basil would be yummy. Oh I might have thrown in parsely too.
1 can chicken or vegetable broth - obviously chicken would make it not vegan.
Lemon

Instructions:
Dice up onion and garlic and throw them in a huge pan with enough vegetable oil to make them oily... like 1/3 cup. Stir occasionally.

While that's cooking cut up carrots and celery. I really like carrots but do not like celery, so your balance may be different than mine.

Also, rinse your lentils.

Now the onion and garlic should be translucent & smell delicious. So dump everything else in the pot. Add enough water to make it soupy.

Simmer for 45-60 minutes, stiring and checking water level as needed.

Best served with some crusty grainy wheat bread, and lemon squeezed on to taste.

Sometime my plan is to make it without the can of broth, because I admit that's like making homemade bread out of, like, bread. So if anyone does that and tells me how it is, that'd be cool. Other than that, be creative, it's soup, throw whatever you want in there!

Ta-da!
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: Recipe: Vegan Lentil Soup

Postby Mathmo » Fri Jan 13, 8:40 2012

Heeey we probably have nearly all these ingredients! I could make soup!

What kind of lentils did you use? The ones we have lying around in the cupboard and actually use are little red split lentils, which cook in about 10-15 mins of simmering and are really good for stretching out dishes e.g. adding to mince dishes or meat based casseroles - my OH isn't a big fan of lentils but doesn't mind them if they're in something non-lentilly. But I know there are also yellow lentils and black lentils ... does anyone know what the big differences are? (I think the other ones are larger?)
Mathmo
established
established

Postby Tookie » Fri Jan 13, 9:51 2012

Mm, lentils. My roommate bought some tiny brown lentils - they're about the size of Le Puy lentils, but not the same colour - that are absolutely delicious. They have their skins on, which means that they don't turn to mush like red lentils (not that that is necessarily a bad thing, it's great for dhal and other thick soups, but sometimes I like the pop of intact lentils) and when cooked up with tomatoes, taste startlingly like meat sauce. I have also heard that Le Puy lentils are the king of the lentil kingdom, but I suspect they might be quite expensive.

Also, stock-wise, I have never gotten around to making my own vegetable stock (although it is very easy!), so I generally either just use water, or use a MSG-free stock cube, as they're way cheaper than buying pre-prepared stock.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?
Tookie
Spleentastic!
Spleentastic!

Postby LunchBox » Fri Jan 13, 12:32 2012

That sounds good! Actually I have just about all of the ingredients except lentils lying around. I might just have to try this out before the end of the week.
LunchBox
established
established

Postby monkeypoop » Fri Jan 13, 14:04 2012

my roommate just asked me the other day what he could make with lentils. I guess he just bought them because they were cheap and he doesn't have money for food? I'll have to share this recipe with him.
monkeypoop
I have a nose.
I have a nose.

Postby ladypenelope » Fri Jan 13, 16:38 2012

I love lentil soup! I like using a mix of red and yellow lentils (sometimes called split peas) so it gets the creaminess from the red and the texture from the yellow.

Also, if you have a lemon hanging around I can highly recommend squeezing the juice into the soup once its finished cooking and the heat is turned off (especially if you've got some cumin/coriander etc in there), you will not regret it!
ladypenelope
established
established

Postby LunchBox » Sat Jan 14, 13:55 2012

I just made this with a couple alterations last night. I added hot sausage which I had lying around (yeah not vegan at all), chicken broth, and a bunch of cayenne pepper/spicy spices and got a really tasty hot dish. I really liked cooking the onion/garlic and how the carrots/celery turned out. Will cook again.
LunchBox
established
established

Postby helium » Sat Jan 14, 13:56 2012

The night you posted this one of my friends made us super f'ing delicious lentil soup, but it had a ton of bacon in it. Kind of messed up the healthy/vegan part, but good lord it was good.
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby edit the sad parts » Sat Jan 14, 19:46 2012

Lemon is vital! I usually squeeze it over my bowl, once served. Lentils, in general, rock. They are so cheap and so delicious. When I was having a lot of money trouble I would eat lentils for dinner almost every day.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.
edit the sad parts
philophobia
philophobia

Postby DWH » Mon Jan 16, 22:49 2012

Saw this recipe this morning, made a variant for dinner tonight. Trader Joe's only had bags of mixed beans and lentils, so I got some of those. I hate celery, so I cut it out altogether, but definitely used the carrots. Spiced with basil and oregano (mmm), eaten while watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Fantastic dinner all around.
:canada: :america:
I AM 1/3 OF THE JEDI KUNG-FU FIGHTING 1337 NINJA ASSASSIN TRIO!
:pirateflag: Fiddler of the SNSDW
Evil Lightsaber-Wielding Sith Lord Ewok of DOOM!!

vex wrote:I'd totally single white female your life.
DWH
diabolical techie
diabolical techie

Postby Aelwyn » Tue Jan 17, 6:50 2012

My flatmate & I had a lentil chat the other night & I knew I'd seen a recipe somewhere; we're gonna give this a go later on this week.
Aelwyn
Demolitions.
Demolitions.

Postby spacefem » Sat Feb 4, 15:56 2012

okay sorry to bump this but I just had to say I finally tried this with some lemon squeezed on it, and ZOMG YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT it's awesome! like a totally different soup! I had my doubts but damn. so, recipe edited to add lemon. i'll never look back.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby ladypenelope » Sun Feb 5, 3:56 2012

spacefem wrote:okay sorry to bump this but I just had to say I finally tried this with some lemon squeezed on it, and ZOMG YOU GUYS WERE RIGHT it's awesome! like a totally different soup! I had my doubts but damn. so, recipe edited to add lemon. i'll never look back.

Yesss! That shit will change your life.
ladypenelope
established
established

Postby amuseme » Sun Feb 5, 4:28 2012

Would Limes do the same thing?
Yakkity yak, don't talk back.
amuseme
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer

Postby spacefem » Sun Feb 5, 9:01 2012

amuseme wrote:Would Limes do the same thing?

possibly! I was just really surprised that citrus went well with, like, carrots and beans. go figure! limes aren't as juicy, that's the only thing I can think would be unfortunate about them.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Feb 5, 19:27 2012

I think limes would work in a pinch, but it wouldn't be nearly as good as lemon juice. Lemons have a pretty neutral sour flavour, but limes are pretty distinctive... might not go as well.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Return to Random Weirdos