Take that, One Million Moms!

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

Storage and Disposal

Take that, One Million Moms!

Postby Storage and Disposal » Thu Feb 9, 19:16 2012

http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/02/08/ell ... oms-group/
One Million Moms is an anti gay group that tried to bully JCPenney into dropping Ellen as their spokesperson. If anything, it was great publicity for JCPenney.

If you want to move this to feminism, go ahead. I just felt like making a short, random thread concerning it.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

LunchBox

Re: Take that, One Million Moms!

Postby LunchBox » Thu Feb 9, 19:24 2012

That's way awesome.

drunken dragon

Postby drunken dragon » Thu Feb 9, 19:41 2012

FuckyeahEllen and I'm buying more at Penneys now.
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Thu Feb 9, 22:58 2012

Yeah this was great. My friend called it a really polite corporate fuck you.
:heart: and :spacefem:

edit the sad parts

Postby edit the sad parts » Sat Feb 11, 10:44 2012

One million moms can take a long walk off a short pier. :P
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.

zibber

Postby zibber » Sat Feb 11, 15:31 2012

Best believe JCP had some board meetings about that shit, though.
Lavatories. Love them or loathe them, they're here to stay.

Aum

Postby Aum » Sun Feb 12, 4:32 2012

Does one million moms even have one million members? Honestly. It reminds me of the 99% movement, that half of America seems to be against.

I really wish people would stop coming up with such hyperbolic names for their organizations!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Meperidine

Postby Meperidine » Sun Feb 12, 8:13 2012

Aum wrote:Does one million moms even have one million members?

I heard 40,000. And please question whoever told you that half of America is "against" the 99% movement.
:heart: and :spacefem:

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Feb 12, 10:40 2012

I would guess that a lot of America isn't really *aware* of the 99% movement, given that the press coverage has been fairly shitty. But that's not the same as against, and most people who become aware of it are for it. And as the police brutality and overstepping has gotten more coverage I think more people are aware.

It will be interesting to see what happens in WI, re: the recall, especially since they're now using the homeowner settlement to plug the budget gap instead of, say, giving that money to the people who were screwed out of it in the first place.
/offtopic

I'm mixed feelings about JCPenny though, weren't they the ones with the stupid t-shirt line about girls -> too pretty to do math so I make my brother do it? But corporations, like people, I suppose are multifaceted and often don't make a coherent picture. I'm glad they stuck by Ellen.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!

edit the sad parts

Postby edit the sad parts » Sun Feb 12, 10:50 2012

rowan wrote:I'm mixed feelings about JCPenny though, weren't they the ones with the stupid t-shirt line about girls -> too pretty to do math so I make my brother do it? But corporations, like people, I suppose are multifaceted and often don't make a coherent picture. I'm glad they stuck by Ellen.

Yeah, that is a good point. It is important that we remember that this was a financial decision pure and simple.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.

Aum

Postby Aum » Sun Feb 12, 12:52 2012

Meperidine wrote:
Aum wrote:Does one million moms even have one million members?

I heard 40,000. And please question whoever told you that half of America is "against" the 99% movement.

That was mostly an exaggeration on my part. I support their movement, but saying that they represent the 99% is wrong and I think their movement would have had more support if they chose a different slogan instead of co-opting the nation.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

monk

Postby monk » Sun Feb 12, 13:43 2012

Their slogan represents who their target is. It's not they they're the 99% embodied as they are opposed to the 1% who are fucking it up for everyone and "we oppose the 1%" doesn't ring to the ear nearly as well as "we are the 99%"

JCP is really interesting, they just revamped their whole business model(as of this month) so that instead of offering sales & discounts on a small percentage of merchandise they are now going to have all prices at their lowest price all the time with no sales or discounts.

The story with Ellen just says to me that their board of directors have a much firmer grasp of reality than the board of the Susan G Komen foundation. Which is a very good thing to me.

I also believe that after the public outcry about the math is stupid tshirt deal that they pulled those offensive tshirts.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Return to “Random”