Spacefem.com

In regards to muscle soreness.

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

In regards to muscle soreness.

Postby lykin005 » Fri Mar 2, 23:17 2012

After the filming today and all the crawling and jumping and falling. I'm ridiculously sore. I've been told i just need to power through it. But I think it's worse than just regular muscle damage that's to be expected from exercise. I usually get flu like symptoms (This happens every time I've tried it.) and it takes at least a whole week to recover but usually more. Is this normal? And if I do just need to power through it, how long or how many times?
"Bravery is not a function of firepower." JC Denton.

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute…”
–Rebecca West

If you can't observe something directly, observe what it affects.
lykin005
established
established

Re: In regards to muscle soreness.

Postby Aum » Sat Mar 3, 3:30 2012

The immune system is involved in muscle repair because there is inflammation involved, so there can be similar feelings to being sick. If it feels intense then it means your physical exercise may have been straining and you need to ease into it more. You might have overdone it. Your co-workers are right, your body will adapt, but it will need extra support. The most important thing is to make sure you are eating enough nutritious food to nourish your body, or you will continue to struggle: more protein (like chicken), greens (especially dark leafy greens, broccoli, etc. because they clear out muscle wastes from the body and their nutrients relax muscle tissue), and making sure you are well fed before a big day.

Starting the day with a high protein meal will balance your blood sugar throughout the day so that your body remains fed. Make sure you allow time for genuine rest in your off periods, and if the soreness is fresh and intense use cooling topical creams and even ice if there is a lot of inflammation. Switch to warm (like warm baths, hot water bottles, or heating pads) a couple of days later to help with circulation and repair. Never apply heat to fresh inflammation because it will make it worse.

Last but not least, avoid doing physical work that is above the limit of what you can currently handle. For instance, if you need to lift something very heavy, ask someone to help you. As your body adapts you will be able to do more, but if you continue to overstrain yourself you can develop repetitive strain injury which does not easily go away even if you stop working. "Powering through" is not smart if it's beyond your muscle stress tolerance. Don't be ashamed to ask for help!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby lykin005 » Sat Mar 3, 12:49 2012

I usually don't eat breakfast. But I do take a multivitamin is that enough or is breakfast going to to be the make or breaker? Also how long is too long to wait before doing something again? Thank you for your information!

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute…”
–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby monk » Sat Mar 3, 14:37 2012

breakfast is really important if you're going to exercise, your vitamin is not enough. As for working again, it truly depends on how hard you've already worked. I would say 48 hours or so.

If you need easy/fast breakfast
crack two eggs into a bowl,
stir/mix well with a fork,
pop bowl into microwave & cover for 90 seconds,
remove and place on bread/toast.
add ketchup/butter/salt/pepper to taste.
2 minutes and you're out the door with an egg sandwich.

I would also have a stretching routine of some sort before going right into the stuntifying.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby lykin005 » Sat Mar 3, 14:42 2012

Thank you, that is very easy! As far as stretching I've been trying to stretch my legs, body, and arms for like 30 seconds on each limb or stretch. Does that sound good?

–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Sat Mar 3, 17:15 2012

^Actually, a really good idea is to make an egg sandwich like Monk says, and put ham or sausage or cheese or whatever you want on it, but make up like five of them at the beginning of the week and put them in ziploc bags in the freezer. That way, you can just pop one in the microwave in the morning and run out the door. Monk, I see your two-minute breakfast and raise you a 45-second breakfast.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby monk » Sat Mar 3, 19:56 2012

If you're preplanning stuff, you could have waffles and or pancakes in your freezer too...

even a piece of fruit & toast is better than nothing...
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Mar 4, 12:36 2012

Waffles, pancakes, and fruit are all full of sugar; you will be hungry 20 minutes later, it's no good. You gotta have some protein and fat, not just carbs.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Return to Random Weirdos