Spacefem.com

Dicks and violence.

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Dicks and violence.

Postby lykin005 » Mon Mar 5, 15:03 2012

So I read an article on cracked today about myths and the cold war. In it at one point it is mentioned that the space race was basically a dick comparison between America and Russia. This reminded me of the whole concept of "Guns are basically metaphor's for dicks. Or knives are really just dicks. etc etc." So what, women are incapable of violence? Women don't want to be violent? I don't know about you but I don't want to live in a world where all women squeal at the thought of stabbing someone in the throat, or can't conceive of shooting somebody. Now obviously this isn't the case. (It's OK, It's OK, breeeeaathe.) So why is it that a gun is supposedly inherently "phalic." Why does that even matter? A gun is a weapon which causes an object to pierce someones body and rip their insides apart. Why the fuck, do we need to make this a gender thing?!
"Bravery is not a function of firepower." JC Denton.

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute…”
–Rebecca West

If you can't observe something directly, observe what it affects.
lykin005
established
established

Re: Dicks and violence.

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Mar 5, 15:20 2012

It doesn't tend to be, "That gun is huge. Must have a small penis attached to it somewhere." I usually see it as, "That guy sure is flaunting his fancy gun/car/whatever else, he must be compensating for something." Not that I agree with it. Though I've totally made that joke before.
Dr. Mung-Mung wrote:He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world.
Storage and Disposal
You address omnipotence, tread carefully

Postby lykin005 » Mon Mar 5, 15:37 2012

This a massively tl;dr article but it's relevant. http://www.salon.com/1999/05/12/penises/ The fuck? Circumcision caused columbine? Better yet boys can't achieve orgasm sooooo, murder? Without going into to much detail I am nearly certain I was circumcised but I have no issues achieving orgasm. Aaaand I still have violent impulses occasionally. In some psychology circles it's believed that sex is about dominance thus violence being a form of dominance is inherently sexual or is linked to ones sexuality. Their may have been some psychological stress due to these factors which influenced them to murder other students, but I guarantee you the thing which caused it was their status as outsiders and their feelings of rejection and the pain of isolation from people whom for one reason or another they desired interaction with.

“I myself have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat or a prostitute…”
–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby Storage and Disposal » Mon Mar 5, 15:52 2012

That first part is from some crazy reader, not a journalist or anything. This has as much credibility as a comment on youtube, so I wouldn't put much thought towards it.
Dr. Mung-Mung wrote:He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world.
Storage and Disposal

Postby Aum » Mon Mar 5, 18:13 2012

Dicks don't cause violence. Human actions cause violence.

Stop blaming my genitals for the problems of the world. Get your hands off my body. Thanks.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby lykin005 » Mon Mar 5, 18:22 2012

I hope you don't think I was trying to say dicks cause violence. I was speaking against that.

–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby monk » Mon Mar 5, 19:17 2012

lykin005 wrote:This reminded me of the whole concept of "Guns are basically metaphor's for dicks. Or knives are really just dicks. etc etc." So why is it that a gun is supposedly inherently "phalic." Why does that even matter?

This is a patriarchal metaphor is all. Penis=power. If you don't have a penis for power and power is what you seek then you find a penis substitute be it a big car, nice house, public office etc. Power, intimidation, dominance. and of course you have the penetration part too when it comes to thrusting weapons like knives etc.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby helium » Mon Mar 5, 19:21 2012

lykin005 wrote:I hope you don't think I was trying to say dicks cause violence. I was speaking against that.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Aum meant you personally in that last post. :)
those like you who lost their way,
murdered on the interstate
while the red bells rang like thunder

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby Wes » Tue Mar 6, 1:02 2012

lykin005 wrote:Without going into to much detail I am nearly certain I was circumcised...

Does your penis have a turtleneck, or not?
Wes
Manwhore Extraordinaire
Manwhore Extraordinaire

Postby lykin005 » Tue Mar 6, 1:08 2012

No it does not Lol!

–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby zibber » Tue Mar 6, 1:17 2012

I too am nearly certain you were circumcised.
Lavatories. Love them or loathe them, they're here to stay.
zibber
established
established

Postby monk » Tue Mar 6, 2:41 2012

I third that certainty.

So, lykin, when was the last time you had three men discussing your penis?
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk

Postby lykin005 » Tue Mar 6, 12:42 2012

Lol! Probably my senior year of high-school oddly enough.

–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby zibber » Tue Mar 6, 12:48 2012

lykin005 wrote:Lol! Probably my senior year of high-school oddly enough.

I'm finding myself kind of baffled that someone could circumcise you without you noticing at least a slight prickling or stinging sensation.

(I mean, I really hope I'm just missing something. I should mention for the sake of full disclosure that I am rather stoned.)
Lavatories. Love them or loathe them, they're here to stay.
zibber
established
established

Postby lykin005 » Tue Mar 6, 13:38 2012

This usually happens when your a very young kid right?

–Rebecca West

lykin005
established
established

Postby rowan » Tue Mar 6, 13:43 2012

(I think lykin was answering the small text in monk's post)

I, uh, have nothing to really add to this conversation. Carry on. :P
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby Sonic# » Tue Mar 6, 13:51 2012

Depending on your cultural background, it can happen either as an infant or young child or as an adult. If it was a medical circumcision, you probably got it in your infancy.

And I'm not surprised that you don't know whether you're circumcised or not. The state of sexual education in the US is such that people in many cases just don't see other genitalia, and don't know how to see their own. (A problem even more prevalent for women, hence the emphasis by many feminists on using a mirror or speculum to get to know one's parts.) I wouldn't worry much about particular distinctions like circumcised and uncircumcised too much, though it does irk me when people make judgments about people who are or aren't circumcised.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby Ama » Wed Mar 7, 0:28 2012

Sonic# wrote:Depending on your cultural background, it can happen either as an infant or young child or as an adult. If it was a medical circumcision, you probably got it in your infancy.

And I'm not surprised that you don't know whether you're circumcised or not. The state of sexual education in the US is such that people in many cases just don't see other genitalia, and don't know how to see their own. (A problem even more prevalent for women, hence the emphasis by many feminists on using a mirror or speculum to get to know one's parts.) I wouldn't worry much about particular distinctions like circumcised and uncircumcised too much, though it does irk me when people make judgments about people who are or aren't circumcised.

This reminds me of an australian article I've read recently. NSFW link incoming because I think it's pertinent to the conversation: http://hungrybeast.abc.net.au/blog/kdry ... gle-crease
Member of l33t squad-The power to rectify the world!
dolphinlover: away, or not away, that is the question of ama
Proud to be a Draakist
Spacefem: "Conservapedia is definitely the gayest wiki ever."
Ama
Saner than an emu on acid
Saner than an emu on acid

Return to Random Weirdos