Brains, Bees, Balls, and Behavior

Moderators: rowan, Eravial

Eravial

Brains, Bees, Balls, and Behavior

Postby Eravial » Fri Mar 3, 17:01 2017

I have a huge soft spot for bee, learning, and foraging behavior research, so I'm totally into that does all three!

Researchers in London co-opted innate behavioral traits of bees to make them learn a completely unnatural behavior: rolling a bee-sized ball into a "goal" to get a sugar water reward. Further, bees could be trained by other bees (or a painted "bee" on the end of a researcher-controlled stick) to complete the task! This could be considered tool-use behavior since the bees use the ball in a specific way to obtain food from their environment.

The innate traits include:
- strong spatial awareness (both with regards to knowing where to find food as well as tracking orientation of self and others within a confined space; the latter refers to the honeybee "waggle dance"),
- social learning and communication by movement (the "waggle dance" occurs in the hive, where scouts return to the hive and communicate to foragers the direction and distance to food using a coded "dance")
- exploratory behavior (bees tend to explore their surroundings, which is adaptive for foraging and evaluating the quality of a possible new hive location)
- tendency towards most efficient foraging

Regarding that last trait, a REALLY cool part of the study showed that bees essentially learned the logic/rules of the task and then used that information to make decisions that increased efficiency. The first group of bees were trained in an arena that had multiple balls, but only the farthest ball could be rolled, so they stopped trying to roll the closer balls. These bees then served as the tutors for the next group, so every time they demonstrated how to do the task to a naive bee, they showed that rolling the farthest ball led to a reward.

When those pupil bees returned to the arena alone, they nearly always chose to move the ball closest to the center, which took the least amount of energy and time to obtain the reward! Further, they still chose to do this when the nearest ball was black instead of yellow. They didn't just copy a behavior; they learned the physics of the environment and optimized a process based on that information.

And because all the best behavior studies have awesome associated videos:

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

rowan

Re: Brains, Bees, Balls, and Behavior

Postby rowan » Sat Mar 4, 9:16 2017

That is SO COOL

*expects bee productivity to tank once they learn to play soccer*

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sat Mar 4, 13:32 2017

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Mar 4, 21:35 2017

Animals are smart and sentient. WHO KNEW
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

iamthegate

Postby iamthegate » Sun Mar 5, 9:51 2017

Epic! So cool! Can I be a bee when I grow up?

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sun Mar 5, 12:43 2017

This is really cool!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Galen

Postby Galen » Sun Mar 5, 14:04 2017

I can just imagine the bees filling out their course evaluations. "Professor B is cool and I loved the field trips but he's a bit set in his ways--kept going after the farthest balls instead of the TOTALLY OBVIOUS REALLY CLOSE balls. Duh!"

Eravial

Postby Eravial » Mon Mar 6, 16:15 2017

Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Mar 7, 9:44 2017

Wait was there a different shape to choose from? I think it was distance they decided on, not shape? Or did I miss something. Either way, choosing a closer thing/different shape rather than the usual color/shape thing doesn't diminish your argument.

Return to “Science & Technology”