Quicktakes

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Sonic#

Quicktakes

Postby Sonic# » Wed Apr 19, 16:28 2017

Sometimes I have things to rant about that don't really deserve a full post, but amuse me to mention. I thought it might be fun (or disastrous) to have a thread like that. Thus, I've coined appropriated the term "quicktakes" for quick expressions of frustration or ennui at trivial things. It's like a pet peeve, but a specific instance that happens to you.

Mine right now: reading an entire Wikipedia article about a 1980s cartoon series where the writer consistently writes "it's" for "its," and being continually tempted to go back and copyedit it despite more important work today.

Nachos

Re: Quicktakes

Postby Nachos » Thu Apr 20, 11:46 2017

I like this idea!

My sister wears odd socks....
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Bork

Postby Bork » Thu Apr 20, 12:40 2017

My sister wears mismatched socks! And she'll do it intentionally when we're together because she knows it bugs me.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Apr 20, 16:14 2017

My coworker says "k bye!" on the phone in a breathy tone which reminds me strongly of the episode of Gilmore girls where Lorelei imitates Rory on the phone (while talking to an alumni) and pretends to be an airhead. I have no idea why this bugs me so much.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

theal

Postby theal » Fri Apr 21, 5:55 2017

Oh I agree with the OP. 'It's' for 'its' or the other way round (aaaaargh!) or even worse 'your' for 'you're' (double aaaaargh!) or even WORSE 'there' for 'their' or 'they're' (triple aaaaaaargh!)- did these people not go to school?

Galen

Postby Galen » Fri Apr 21, 7:15 2017

My mom-type and her dog visit every weekend for an overnight. Just before they leave, my mom always rinses out the dog's water bowl and then carefully positions it upside down on the counter, on the edge of the sink, where it then drips little drops of dog-tainted water all over the place. Why can't she just swipe it with a paper towel and put it back where it belongs!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Apr 21, 8:23 2017

Not dog taint water!

I've been writing this morning at a coffee shop. It's small - about 22 seats and 1 unisex bathroom. 2 baristas, one register.

A school bus of at least 25 high schoolers just stopped here.

I'm going to leave an extra tip today.

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Apr 21, 9:29 2017

The other day I went to a coffee shop and all the places with outlets were taken. I mean by people using them so y'know. But still it was a little small annoyance. (Fortunately my battery was pretty charged up)

I do kind of hate when people NOT using the outlets take those tables when there are plenty of other tables around, hey some of us need to plug in here...
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Fri Apr 21, 14:11 2017

One of my classmates saw me today, said hello and introduced her husband (and that it was his 77th birthday today), to her husband she said that I speak terrible Finnish, right in front of me, as though I wouldn't understand.

Neko

Postby Neko » Sat Apr 22, 6:04 2017

While looking through Google News, I saw an article about China and the Koreas titled "That's What Xi Said."

Oh, hello, Yahoo News. *filters out Yahoo News in settings* Bye, Yahoo News.
:sun: The future's bright, Lit up with nowhere to go :earth:

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue Apr 25, 8:41 2017

Lately I've come across a few of these in a couple of online communities, and for some reason, it makes me close my eyes and breathe: People asking questions to a forum that really should just be a google search. Just do an online search, people. Google. It's not that hard. Some real life examples:
* How do I make an astronaut helmet for a kid?
* Anyone know at what time Home Depot closes tonight?
* What's the phone number for [doesn't really matter]?
* How do I use hairpins that aren't bobby pins?
* What did Jenny die of in Forrest Gump?
* How do I get a job in Norway?
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Bork

Postby Bork » Tue Apr 25, 11:10 2017

^^^^ That stuff drives me crazy in real life too!! Like, asking me shouldn't be your first response. I get that at work a lot: "I know this is probably somewhere in the protocol but I figured you would know it offhand"
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Tue Apr 25, 14:40 2017

I had three questions today that could have been answered by reading the prompt for the assignment. I get it; people want confirmation when this is basically their most important grade, and they want to double-check they're not missing anything. Still, in one of them, my response was literally, "Read page 7 and 8 of the prompt." When he stuck around, I started reading it to him. Thankfully by the end of the first paragraph, he thanked me and said he could read it.

The number of times people didn't read the prompt before asking this semester was astounding. It made me wonder what was going wrong.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue Apr 25, 16:19 2017

Sonic# wrote:It made me wonder what was going wrong.

Laziness. Laziness is what's wrong.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Apr 25, 18:59 2017

Sonic# wrote:The number of times people didn't read the prompt before asking this semester was astounding. It made me wonder what was going wrong.

Read. The. Lab.

Corollary: I said this exact thing 10 minutes ago why weren't you listening.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Return to “Ranting”