Hi, everyone:)

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

SkyBlue

Hi, everyone:)

Postby SkyBlue » Sun Apr 23, 10:33 2017

Hi! I am an 18 year old girl (turning 19 next month, yay!) and live in Canada. I love doing yoga and want to get to know more people who have similar interests to me. The reason I joined this forum is because I wanted to post in the Feminist section- I'm struggling a little bit knowing how to date and have relationships, while still keeping my values. I'm very inexperienced with regards to being in a relationship but I guess maybe I will get more advice on my specific questions later. I look forward to talking with all of you!

Sonic#

Re: Hi, everyone:)

Postby Sonic# » Sun Apr 23, 17:52 2017

Welcome to the board! We're happy to have youa round and to answer questions you might have.

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Tue Apr 25, 5:26 2017

Welcome SkyBlue! As regards keeping your fem values - a difficult question! If I say you have to just take it as it comes and react accordingly, you'll think I'm avoiding the problem entirely, and if someone said that to me (I'm a year older than you) I'd think so too.
But I personally refuse to compromise my fem values whatever a man says (be it my partner or another man) and if he persists with patriarchal b-llsh-t, I walk out because I KNOW I'm in the right and he's in the wrong and life's too short to change him!
OK, you're thinking Gosh she's pretentious and snobby, but seriously you have to think like that. It makes you feel better about misogynistic sexist men anyway!
I very much hope both of us retain our values as we make our way thru life! Do you have a relationship at the moment? I do and I have him trained! OK pretentious and snobby again, but.............

SkyBlue

Postby SkyBlue » Thu Apr 27, 15:03 2017

lexiewalt wrote:Welcome SkyBlue! As regards keeping your fem values - a difficult question! If I say you have to just take it as it comes and react accordingly, you'll think I'm avoiding the problem entirely, and if someone said that to me (I'm a year older than you) I'd think so too.
But I personally refuse to compromise my fem values whatever a man says (be it my partner or another man) and if he persists with patriarchal b-llsh-t, I walk out because I KNOW I'm in the right and he's in the wrong and life's too short to change him!
OK, you're thinking Gosh she's pretentious and snobby, but seriously you have to think like that. It makes you feel better about misogynistic sexist men anyway!
I very much hope both of us retain our values as we make our way thru life! Do you have a relationship at the moment? I do and I have him trained! OK pretentious and snobby again, but.............

Thanks for your response! I don't have a boyfriend yet, I'm more thinking about how to find one and what to do once I do:) I have seen girls kind of put aside their values for a relationship and I want to make sure I never do that.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Fri Apr 28, 4:46 2017

Hi there SkyBlue, welcome to the spacefem forums!

We'll be happy to answer and discuss any questions you have.

Mainly, a relationship is two people who come together because they are attracted and like each other. There is no one "boss" in the relationship that the other has to conform to. You're both equal.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

lexiewalt

Postby lexiewalt » Sat Apr 29, 4:08 2017

SkyBlue wrote:
Thanks for your response! I don't have a boyfriend yet, I'm more thinking about how to find one and what to do once I do:) I have seen girls kind of put aside their values for a relationship and I want to make sure I never do that.

Hi SkyBlue. Yes, the most important thing is not to compromise feminist beliefs. I know it's too easy to say that and then meet a hunk for whom you think you'd do anything - so you give in and try to please him. But seriously any hunk worthy of us would not want you to compromise your beliefs.
Feminism is only as strong as the women putting it into practice - and if we remain true to our beliefs, it will gain strength and men will realise how they will gain from it too. If you feel yourself weakening send me an email and I'll try to keeo you to our values!! Lexie x

Return to “New Members”