Would you have eaten from the tree of knowledge?

Whatever weirdo topics you feel like bringing up

Moderators: MFS, monk

spacebot

Postby spacebot » Thu May 4, 2:00 2017

Taurwen

Re: Would you have eaten from the tree of knowledge?

Postby Taurwen » Thu May 4, 5:14 2017

Yea, who can argue with a talking animal? It may not have happened that particular day, but probably within the month, if not week we would f have been kicked out of the garden

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Thu May 4, 9:58 2017

Well, having not eating from the tree yet, I wouldn't have known any better, would I? I'ma go with 'yes'.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Bork

Postby Bork » Thu May 4, 16:43 2017

I'm sure I would have. It sounds like something I would do.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu May 4, 20:45 2017

I might have. It's like, I don't know whether I'll be tempted into a bad decision until I am. Otherwise I'd be infallible.

Well, having not eating from the tree yet, I wouldn't have known any better, would I? I'ma go with 'yes'.

"I wouldn't have known any better" is really interesting. I just taught a semester-long course on Paradise Lost. The poem spends a lot of time and effort making it clear that God warned people beforehand, that is, that they knew it was a bad decision. In book 3, God sends Raphael to chat with Adam to make sure that they're forewarned. God has an angry speech, calls humanity an "ingrate," complains that they were forewarned (because God sees the future), but forewarns them anyway. Raphael spends three books having a long and deep conversation with Adam.

But could they really know? Could Adam and Eve ever know better? It required them to trust God, this thing that spoke to them when they were first conscious. But what is that all about? God even tells Eve that she has to be with this strange man after she wakes up. She's a companion-gift. Raphael doesn't talk to her directly; Eve overhears, and then she goes out trusting she'll hear it all from Adam. Even if she loved Adam, even if she was okay with all that, that still seems kind of suspect.

I'm just saying, John Milton really wants to explain why people were forewarned about the fall, but there are also some reasons why I might bite that fruit anyway.

Unvoiced_Apollo

Postby Unvoiced_Apollo » Fri May 5, 17:14 2017

Oh definitely.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Mon May 8, 7:53 2017

This is a really good question.

But I don't know.
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Mon May 8, 11:55 2017

Sonic# wrote: "I wouldn't have known any better" is really interesting.

I was trying to be a smartass, but if I get into the nitty-gritty of it, I haven't read Paradise Lost, but it sounds like it takes a more literal interpretation of the passage, which really makes my eyes roll and my head hurt. I was tickled by this interpretation, which takes the Eden narrative as an allegory about the inevitable sexual awakening in humans.
So in the trajectory of human psycho-sexual development, we can see the root of that correlation between eating the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and one’s body beginning to come into fruition (if you will) in a way that brings a very different kind of knowledge — a carnal knowledge sometimes called a “loss of innocence.” And once you “eat of such fruit,” childhood innocence is lost — just as Adam and Eve could never go back to their previous naked and carefree life in the Garden.

In this interpretation, I couldn't have helped eating from that tree, so it's a "Yes" regardless. ;)
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Return to “Random”