Spacefem.com

BS for the cure!

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

BS for the cure!

Postby spacefem » Mon Oct 4, 18:22 2010

In case you haven't noticed, October is Breast Cancer Awareness month. I have two thoughts about breast cancer:

1) It's terrible, I wish there was a cure.
2) It's the worst example of a cause overtaken by SLACKIVISM I've ever seen in my life.

That's right... everyone is buying ribbons and wearing pink and walking and posting bra colors on facebook but what the hell does any of this do except make us feel better?

So I'd like to dedicate this thread to a challenge: post the most ridiculous "for the cure" items you run across so that we can stare mouth-opened at the insanity all month long. Batteries for the cure? Tampons for the cure? Our time-honored favorite, Kentucky Fried Chicken for the Cure?

Let's celebrate the insanity together, loyal friends!
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: BS for the cure!

Postby Sonic# » Mon Oct 4, 20:30 2010

I haven't taken pics of it, but I fairly regularly buy mushrooms for the cure. They come in a pink container!
Sonic#
established
established

Postby Meperidine » Mon Oct 4, 20:51 2010

I googled "for the cure items ridiculous" and found this.
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby Aum » Mon Oct 4, 20:59 2010

Since I read the OP I have been trying to find a page on the CBC that I read a while back that has a database for charities that you can search. What the database tells you is how much the charity spends on external companies who put together all the fundraising events.

The best I could find was this:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/09/ ... isers.html

Most of the major charities spend AT LEAST 50% in paying separate corporations who run these "walk for the cure" events, and the like. I don't think people realize just what a big business charities are. There are the events, the advertising, the merchandise that comes along with it, the PR campaigns, and donating to politicians and news organizations to quote/unquote "raise awareness".

I am really, really jaded when it comes to big charities now and I never donate. Throwing money at things is not working. It's just to alleviate our own guilt and to help big businesses make profit. Most of the causes in impoverished nations that people routinely donate to are useless. These countries need human beings to go over there and do the work that is needed more than they need cash.

As for cancer... it's a multibillion dollar business. Do you really think any of the big companies involved have any interest in seeing it cured? Look at how mainstream and hip it is to sport a breast cancer ribbon now. All it takes is a dollar and you have your very own ribbon, or stuffed animal, or pink t-shirt. Ugh.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby SakuraSong » Mon Oct 4, 21:10 2010

Well, since you've bought it up...

However, Meppi's are total pwn.
"Truth is a garrulous, quarrelsome bitch."
SakuraSong
Unroyal Courtesan!
Unroyal Courtesan!

Postby monk » Mon Oct 4, 22:15 2010

the best I found were these. how rubber duckies relate to breast cancer and where/who are you supposed to be showing your ducky to are beyond me.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby newlydiscovered » Mon Oct 4, 22:43 2010

Spacefem wrote:Our time-honored favorite, Kentucky Fried Chicken for the Cure?

SakuraSong wrote:Well, since you've bought it up...

I seriously thought Lady S was joking.

And my contribution: Breast Cancer Barbie!!

:pirateflag: Daughter of the fiercest pirate captain in high space, and pirate wench of the SNSDW

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:Newly is Eccentrica Gallumbits, the triple-appled whore of Eroticon 6!
newlydiscovered
Happy Little Vegemite
Happy Little Vegemite

Postby Neko » Mon Oct 4, 22:58 2010

iPod case for the cure!

http://www.popgadget.net/images/Belkin% ... 20case.jpg

edit: OH. I do believe I have found it.

I present to you...

Maxine Mouse for the cure.

Dressed to impress in her pink glamorous best, Maxine Mouse is hitting the road to let you know the cure for breast cancer is just around the bend! Only from Hamilton, "Driven by Hope" is an inspiring new Charming Tails figurine featuring artist Dean Griff's adorable little mouse cruising down the highway. This fabulous biker diva is proud to show her support for with oodles of pink ribbons! From her pink biker outfit to her awareness ribbon custom chopper and eye-catching opalescent finish, she's one hot mama who's riding for a cure!
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t = 1
Neko
TOUCH NOT THE CAT
TOUCH NOT THE CAT

Postby deanimal » Tue Oct 5, 2:39 2010

Spongebob Beanie Baby for the cure!

helium wrote:I went outside and suddenly there was no more gravity and my vagina could fly.
Sonic# wrote:Then the singularity happens. Then we meet God and fly into the sun. Then we save the whales.
deanimal
Feed Me, Seymour!
Feed Me, Seymour!

Postby rowan » Tue Oct 5, 8:44 2010

Sonic# wrote:I haven't taken pics of it, but I fairly regularly buy mushrooms for the cure. They come in a pink container!

At least mushrooms have been shown to have compounds that are good for fighting cancer or something. I guess. http://www.breastcancer.org/tips/nutrit ... 061218.jsp

WTF are those things, meppi???

Clearly I should be grading with breast cancer in mind, with this EZ Grader!
(it calculates percentages or something? i thought that was what excel was for, but whatever)
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby helium » Tue Oct 5, 9:43 2010

This entire website is "For the Cure," even the stuff that doesn't even have a pink ribbon or anything on it. https://shop.thebreastcancersite.com/st ... gwodLRwL0Q

Want a poop-scooper, but want to make sure some of that money you spend is going to a good cause? Also, they have pink camo breast cancer awareness Uggs.

I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence

Postby metawidget » Tue Oct 5, 10:48 2010

Sonic# wrote:I haven't taken pics of it, but I fairly regularly buy mushrooms for the cure. They come in a pink container!

I saw those too; I refuse to buy them.
we generally act as a collective in my pants.
--Dragonrider

We do not baptize our members, but we do encourage bathing from time to time.
--Draak
:quebec: :canada:
metawidget
sincerely, your something or other
sincerely, your something or other

Postby Isis » Tue Oct 5, 11:28 2010

Mixer for the cure!
Attachments
s-COOK-FOR-THE-CURE-large.jpg
s-COOK-FOR-THE-CURE-large.jpg (7.19 KiB) Viewed 2633 times
helium wrote:I bet when they do it you can hear the "click click" from their bones hitting against each other... >.>

Mordak wrote:there are som any randoms in my house
and VEGEMITE!
Isis
Wiewdie
Wiewdie

Postby Meperidine » Tue Oct 5, 18:29 2010

The facebook stuff definitely counts as a BS "effort."
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby Zeph » Tue Oct 5, 21:03 2010

A local restaurant is selling pink pancakes for the cure. They're made with fruit puree or something. I thought the shirt was funny:

Neko wrote:BY OUR POWERS COMBINED, WE ARE ZEKONEPH!

This never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened.
Zeph
Independent as a hog on ice

Postby Dragonrider » Wed Oct 6, 14:18 2010

Haha, I like the word 'Slacktivism'. Almost as much as I like 'Lactivism' for people fighting for public breastfeeding :)
Dragonrider
:pirateflag: Captain of the SNSDW
Signature Info
Elanna wrote:I read that about ten times, I though you were calling me a cowgirl. You know, do it, cowgirl.

spacefem wrote:storage has armpit fleas.
Dragonrider
Peewarce Von Goonmonkey
Peewarce Von Goonmonkey

Postby helium » Wed Oct 6, 21:21 2010

My grocery store had "raspberry parfait cake" with a plastic pink ribbon stuck on top of it today, but it was that "you can't pronounce what's in it" cake too.
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium

Postby Enigma » Thu Oct 7, 17:53 2010

I think people are aware of breast cancer already! It's getting silly. Breast cancer sucks but it's not even the number 1 killer of women, so it's probably pretty low on the list of what kills everyone. Can we get some heart disease awareness stuff please?

I'm also pretty sure I saw a breast cancer awareness delivery truck the other day but I don't have a picture.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

SatansSpawn666 wrote:COME SISTER!! WE SHALL BURN AWAY HIS MERRY LITTLE ARSE WITH OUR FLAMING BOOTS OF UN-MERCIFUL GAIN!
Enigma
Times are hard for dreamers.
Times are hard for dreamers.

Postby Nachos » Fri Oct 8, 11:33 2010

All I've really noticed is the "I like it on the floor" stuff I've been getting messages about on facebook.
No thanks, I already have a :penguin:

A woman is like a tea bag. You don't know how strong she is until you put her in hot water.
Nachos
with cheese...
with cheese...

Postby Mathmo » Fri Oct 8, 12:21 2010

Nachos wrote:All I've really noticed is the "I like it on the floor" stuff I've been getting messages about on facebook.

Mmmm ... I've been seeing a fair bit of that too. The one thing I've seen that I do want is Gok Wan's 'How to look Good Naked' calendar, which is for breast cancer care - and I think there's actually a pretty reasonable link there between the product and the cause, so it seems fair enough. Agree that we need more awareness of other things though.
Mathmo
established
established

Postby Zeph » Sun Oct 10, 9:11 2010

rowan wrote:Clearly I should be grading with breast cancer in mind, with this EZ Grader!
(it calculates percentages or something? i thought that was what excel was for, but whatever)

I saw one of these in pink last week and thought of this thread. EZ Graders probably aren't useful to a college professor like you, but in the schools I've visited, most teachers seem to have them. I think they would be handy for somebody grading 200 assignments per day (they can just set the EZ grader to the number of questions and immediately know the student's percentage based on the amount of questions they got wrong). I think a lot of teachers have so many kids and worksheets that they just use the computer at the end of the week to enter all those percentages in. all that grading makes me kinda glad I'm still a sub
Neko wrote:BY OUR POWERS COMBINED, WE ARE ZEKONEPH!

This never happened. It will shock you how much it never happened.
Zeph

Postby monk » Sun Oct 10, 15:01 2010

Thanks to DR for his Ragtime video I saw this video which sums up the ribbons issue even though it's about Iraq, the whole I ribbon thing for the cause is equally irritating.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk

Postby Dragonrider » Sun Oct 10, 23:50 2010

^noooo you jerk, I was also saving that video for an appropriate moment!

(BTW I also saw them live)
Dragonrider
:pirateflag: Captain of the SNSDW
Signature Info
Elanna wrote:I read that about ten times, I though you were calling me a cowgirl. You know, do it, cowgirl.

spacefem wrote:storage has armpit fleas.
Dragonrider
Peewarce Von Goonmonkey
Peewarce Von Goonmonkey

Postby ladypenelope » Tue Oct 12, 3:25 2010

I was at the supermarket yesterday and saw a scrubbing/dish brush that was partly pink and would donate a mighty 10c to breast cancer research if you bought it.
ladypenelope
established
established

Postby rowan » Tue Oct 12, 8:18 2010

Zeph wrote:they can just set the EZ grader to the number of questions and immediately know the student's percentage based on the amount of questions they got wrong

oh that makes sense. I don't assign purely right/wrong questions too often.

We had the pink mushrooms yesterday. ;) (well ok the container, not the mushrooms)
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Next

Return to Random Weirdos