Spacefem.com

Spacefem's Daily Wikipedia Pregnancy Blog

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Spacefem's Daily Wikipedia Pregnancy Blog

Postby spacefem » Sat Feb 19, 9:30 2011

I don't know if you regular forum-type people are aware of this, but our noble website (spacefem.com) gets visited a couple thousand or so pregnant women every month because when I was pregnant, I made a due date calculator script (http://spacefem.com/pregnant/daily.php). It did the job of telling me how pregnant I was, and wasn't surrounded by a million ads and links and email offers and pink scary baby crap. It's been popular.

I am here to announce that I've morphed it into the Daily Wikipedia Pregnancy Blog. The gist is that for every day of pregnancy, and even some days that aren't pregnancy, it will show you a Wikipedia article to read. I loved weekly pregnancy blogs, loved reading up on fetal development and the history of prenatal care, but didn't feel like my personal commentary would add much for my subscribers. Most of what they need to know is on Wikipedia, and if it's not there, well, we can work together to get it there! Right?

The article list a long and diverse, covering topics both medical and cultural, about pregnancy, childbirth, and babies. You will learn the basics of the female reproductive system, if you don't about know that stuff already. You will see titles of movies about pregnancy, from important ones like The Business of Being Born to not so important ones like Lethal Weapon IV. You will learn about the history of medicine, so you can ask yourself why so many midwives in previous centuries were accused of being witches.

If you know of an article I missed, feel free to suggest it here! Pregnant women need to know about all kinds of things and it's up to all of us to work together to educate them. I am only an expert on one pregnancy (the one I had) but I'm terribly curious about all others because it's a fascinating subject.

Check out the daily recommendations at:
http://spacefem.com/pregnant/daily.php
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: Spacefem's Daily Wikipedia Pregnancy Blog

Postby ArtificialAmore » Sat Feb 19, 22:21 2011

Hubby and I are trying to get pregnant and you can bet your bun-oven that I'll use it when I am! ^_^
This is what it must feel like to walk in full sunlight, my darkness revealed, my shadow self embraced. - Dexter
ArtificialAmore
endangeredly delicious!
endangeredly delicious!

Postby Tweek » Sun Feb 20, 13:33 2011

I hope you can use it soon Amore :D
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!
Tweek
Coffee Freak
Coffee Freak

Postby ArtificialAmore » Sun Feb 20, 14:40 2011

Tweek wrote:I hope you can use it soon Amore :D

Awww, thank you Tweek!!
This is what it must feel like to walk in full sunlight, my darkness revealed, my shadow self embraced. - Dexter
ArtificialAmore
endangeredly delicious!
endangeredly delicious!

Postby spacefem » Wed May 4, 6:15 2011

francesy wrote:What type of software does wikipedia use? I am looking to start a website with collegues who can contribute entries to the site - much like wikipedia. Does anybody know what technology they use?

This is a bit off topic, but easy question so what the heck.

Wikipedia uses MediaWiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki You can download & run it for free, it's open source. If you don't have your own server, refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_wiki_farms for a good list of websites that host wikis.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Return to Random Weirdos