No, you can't get a pap smear at Walgreens

Because women are people too

Moderators: deanimal, lillerina, Tookie

spacefem
contributor
contributor

No, you can't get a pap smear at Walgreens

Postby spacefem » Sat Apr 23, 16:18 2011

We're calling bullshit on the knowledgeable commentators at Fox & Friends... shocking I know! This time it's because Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade say there's no reason to fund Planned Parenthood because they offer boring services like breast exams and pap smears, which you can get a any corner Walgreens.

Except, you can't.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/p ... ns-2474402

Look: the reproductive health of women is a huge public health issue. Healthy systems = healthy, wanted babies = healthy kids = our future. Maybe YOU have healthcare that covers reproductive services, maybe YOU don't have a uterus to begin with so who cares what they're up to right? But let me assure you this is a public issue. In 50 years, who will be the doctors that take care of us, who will be leading the country? The products of today's women's reproductive systems. Let's take care of them, for all of us, okay?

edit the sad parts
contributor
contributor

Re: No, you can't get a pap smear at Walgreens

Postby edit the sad parts » Sat Apr 23, 18:22 2011

I unfortunately got sucked into reading the comments from people, concerning the post. They really gave me a headache.

Is there no light at the end of the tunnel for this situation ? Is it likely the the funding is going to get cut for all of these people who don't have insurance, or cannot go to their family doctors, for whatever reason? I haven't really been following this as we are in full swing of an election here. Can someone give me the lowdown?
With Republics crying about abortion they really have the best scapegoat out there, it would seem...

PP is a free, and if not totally free, then at least affordable MEDICAL CLINIC. Ugh! I use it, for fuck's sake, and health care is free in Canada!
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.

kelsa
contributor
contributor

Postby kelsa » Sat Apr 23, 20:36 2011

...wow.

I love the line in the article about "well, he wasn't intending his factual statement to be taken as factual."

This country is fucking confusing, man.
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art

Aum
contributor
contributor

Postby Aum » Sun Apr 24, 5:30 2011

People are lost.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Bork
contributor
contributor

Postby Bork » Wed Apr 27, 10:01 2011

Ugh, I was at my grandparents watching Fox (because that's the only news they watch), and I heard that. I thought he was joking because really, does anyone actually think you can get things like breast exams and pap smears at Walgreens? They aren't pills you take, and there's not really a take-home kit you can buy. That's like saying you can go to Walgreens for a prostate exam. Have fun with that one.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

spacefem
contributor
contributor

Postby spacefem » Fri Apr 29, 5:30 2011

Okay, so you have to watch Colbert Report coverage of this, it'll make you feel better about the world, holy crap this killed me:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/231787/the-co ... -walgreens

Return to “Feminism”