Spacefem.com

Most hated baby names

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Most hated baby names

Postby spacefem » Sun May 1, 7:23 2011

So this week I made a baby name suggestion generator (http://spacefem.com/pregnant/names/) and someone in a pregnancy community said it made the mistake of suggesting Tristan, the 80th most popular boy name in America but 7th most hated! I had no idea there was a "most hated names" list but a savvy blogger compiled one, it's here:

http://www.babynamewizard.com/archives/ ... in-america

So bad news: if you plan on naming your daughter after a virtue, like Hope, Destiny, or heaven-spelled-backwards Neveah, someone's gonna hate her name. Same goes for if you name your son Jayden, Brayden, or anything that rhymes with them. If you make up a unique spelling, people will hate it.

I personally think this is important info! As I've said before, I'm against the idea that parenting decisions should be all "my kid my choice shut up". Just like I believe your friends should hold an intervention to keep you from marrying the wrong guy, the world needs to confront you if you're about to give your kid a name we all hate. This is important stuff, people!

I won't post the most hated name list here, you'll have to click the link. I'd rather hear from you first on whether there are names you hate. I feel like we had a topic on general "names you wouldn't name your kid" but I can't find it... and it seems like it was mostly stuff like "this girl Courtney bullied me all through elementary school so that name's out". No, this is more about names you hate just on principle, because of how they sound or how weirdly popular they've gotten. How about it?
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: Most hated baby names

Postby dwarp » Sun May 1, 7:40 2011

Mackenzie, Mckenzie, Mykenzy...whatever it is. I see it ALL the time now...don't people understand that their kid is going to be one of 18 in their class? I never thought it was that cute, but now I feel like everyone I know has a Mackenzie and they're all spelled weird. Also my cousin named her baby Shane, and all I could think of was that western movie "I hate you Shane! Come back Shane!"...turns out that's the dad's favorite western....

Also Zoe. I don't know why, but I feel like Zoe is becoming so common for....no reason.

That being said, I want to give my kids relatively Jewish names, which I'm sure some people will hate. I'm sad that Noah is becoming popular again because it's my favorite name but I kind of have this thing where I want my kids to be the only one of their name in the class.
I don't roll on Shabbos
dwarp
Little Greek Hellion
Little Greek Hellion

Postby monk » Sun May 1, 10:21 2011

I don't hate names so much as I hate spelling. If you like a name, pick the standard spelling of it. Don't stick Y's where i's are supposed to be don't stick k's where c's are supposed to be. Don't go originating the spelling of your kids name because you want to set the apart. my kids name is George but it's spelled imadumass.

on the other hand, if you've come up with an original name, spell it however you want.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby spacefem » Sun May 1, 11:07 2011

monk wrote:my kids name is George but it's spelled imadumass.

dude, this totally made me lol. first, I'm against alternate spellings too... some gal in babycenter once posted to ask what we thought of "lurine" and I was like, "urine, with an L?" and she was like "no it's pronounced like lauren" and I was like "but it's GONNA BE PRONOUNCED LIKE URINE, HONEY"

babycenter is full of gems, for those who don't know, if you ever get pregnant it's not QUITE as dumb as yahoo answers but it's only about a notch up.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby Mathmo » Sun May 1, 11:30 2011

I kind of have a resolution not to hate names because I think it tends to be all tied up with class privilege and snobbery and things and so I try to just accept everything. Because I don't want to be in a conversation being all like "oh I think X is such a tacky name" and find the person I'm talking to has a nephew called X ... (having said that, I would not recommend naming your child X.)

I think that baby names which are very much like surnames are a bit confusing - so like Mckenzie. (Although I know "like surnames" will change in different places around the world). And I'd definitely go for avoiding names that look like another word spelled strangely or have connotations you want to avoid. I'd also say check your initials before you decide ... don't give your kid initials like L.O.L. W.T.F. W.C. etc.

Also, I thought it interesting that Catherine (the one who's just married Prince William) is Catherine with a C but Kate with a K. Anyone else think that? I guess Kate is a more standard spelling than Cate ...
Mathmo
established
established

Postby Sonic# » Sun May 1, 11:55 2011

Mathmo wrote:I kind of have a resolution not to hate names because I think it tends to be all tied up with class privilege and snobbery and things and so I try to just accept everything.

I think this is a good response to have. I've got some quirks. Just a note - if someone's actually named this, I try not to prejudge the person. But I don't want any hypothetical children of mine to have these names, and I just have a reaction against them as names.

My girlfriend's favorite baby name for a boy is Oscar, a name that I simply cannot stand outside of the muppet.
I don't like names that are so improperly spelled that the name just looks ridiculous (Lindsey or Lindsay are fine; Lynzee isn't).
I don't like some names even though they're well-accepted (like Tabitha, Charles, Pamela, and Bradley). I cringe at names with apostrophes in them (like De'shaun. I'd be better with Deshaun).
I hate names that are directly derived from common objects, like Stone or Candy.
I don't really like the abstract or gemstone names for my own child, but I'm okay with them otherwise (Pearl (I have a great uncle named Pearl Wayne), Emerald, Love, Destiny (my cousin), and the like).
Names that start with K when I think they should start with C. :suspect: I'm not talking about common ones, like Catherine and Katherine. But I far prefer Colby to Kolby, Colton (I'm meh about this) to Kolton (NO!). Sometimes it goes the other way around, like Kane to Cane.

Now, having read the post, I'm not surprised by what's listed, but many of those don't set me off. Some of the Mc- names aren't bad. Gertrude... I can see that, though I like my Germanic names. (I'd probably go for a softer one like Erika though.) As for all the "-aiden" names, what? I guess I haven't talked to any 5 year olds, but are these names common?
Sonic#
established
established

Postby MFS » Sun May 1, 12:02 2011

so I should be safe, having named my kids Taliban, Fartknocker, Gangrapist, and Donaldtrump?
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie
MFS
ubiquitous
ubiquitous

Postby Spike » Sun May 1, 12:35 2011

Last edited by Spike on Fri Jun 14, 19:20 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Spike
comp-sci stoner
comp-sci stoner

Postby Butterfly North » Sun May 1, 13:17 2011

There are kids in my hometown with names like 'Princess' and 'Bliss', and that's the thing that annoys me. I don't see it happening so much to boys really, but there's this tendency to name your little girl something that will be cute on her (if you're into that sort of thing) but absolutely ridiculous on an adult.

Also now I'm in Oxford I have a kind of snobbery about posh names. I'm not going to go into them on the public bit of the forum because that feels like bullying when I'm thinking of specific people. But it's hard when someone says to you 'Oh you must meet Crispin!' not to assume that Crispin is a bit of a twat (I don't know anyone called Crispin).
Butterfly North
established
established

Postby Sonic# » Sun May 1, 13:31 2011

^ That's the really funny thing about these prejudices though. Crispin sounds like such an odd name, but Crispin Glover (George McFly in Back to the Future) is a good actor.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby Aum » Sun May 1, 14:18 2011

My parents were going to name me Joshua. I'm happy they didn't. My big sister intervened and told them she would move out if they did. (She was 7 at the time.)

I don't like the name Kirsten, and the really common names like Emily, Michael, David, Joseph, etc. It makes me think that people lack creativity when they pick those names.

I like the name I was given but I'd probably only feel comfortable mentioning it in the members only section. ;)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby monk » Sun May 1, 14:21 2011

Crispin is widely popular with the Shakespeare set.

MFS wrote:so I should be safe, having named my kids Taliban, Fartknocker, Gangrapist, and Donaldtrump?

Tali, the knock man, G and TRUMP are all great kids names, I've known kids to grow up with worse nicknames that were provided by their own family.

Mathmo wrote:Also, I thought it interesting that Catherine (the one who's just married Prince William) is Catherine with a C but Kate with a K. Anyone else think that? I guess Kate is a more standard spelling than Cate ...

Do to the overwhelming abundance of Catherine derived names amongst the members of Spacefem I am declaring that I love ALL derivations of Catherine and all spellings of it and declare it the one exception to the funky spelling rule.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk

Postby Tweek » Sun May 1, 14:22 2011

MFS wrote:so I should be safe, having named my kids Taliban, Fartknocker, Gangrapist, and Donaldtrump?

You called a child 'Donandtrump'? :kill:
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!
Tweek
Coffee Freak
Coffee Freak

Postby kelsa » Sun May 1, 15:27 2011

Strange spellings of names with already established spellings for no reason. I have a Hmong friend who has a usual name spelled differently because of the discrepancies in letters and sounds, the same with a few Chinese friends, I totally get and respect that. Its people with a kid named Kaiteyia with no reason that get the skeptical eyebrow from me.
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art
kelsa
A crooked squirrel murdering fish.

Postby Meperidine » Sun May 1, 15:50 2011

My brother's name is Braden >< I don't know if it's just because I love him but I feel like spelling it with a y makes it a lot more odious.
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby Tookie » Sun May 1, 16:17 2011

I'm actually a big fan of slightly antiquated-sounding names like Gertrude (Gertie? Best nickname ever!). It might be a personal bias, based on my own name, but I like the classics, you know? I tend to cringe at anything new-fangled.

I met a kid named Cedar once. He was 6, and I was 16. We were both wearing the same dinosaur shirt.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?
Tookie
Spleentastic!
Spleentastic!

Postby spacefem » Sun May 1, 17:04 2011

Yeah I'd have to say I kinda loved Gertrude, if it weren't for an unfortunate family experience that might have been my daughter's name. And speaking of family... "Harriet" was Jo's close second name. If she'd been born June 14th (Harriet Beecher Stowe's birthday) I might have had to go with it. My family hated it! And people said she'd be called "Harry". So, dang. But if I have another daughter it's still on the list. Harriet Tubman, Harriet The Spy, Harriet in "So I Married an Ax Murderer"... it's a great name, I think! Let me know if I'm wrong.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby helium » Sun May 1, 17:25 2011

I love Harriet, but I also think that girls with names or nicknames that are traditionally guy's names are awesome and cute.

I am also on the bandwagon for hating re-spells of traditional names. I know a girl who's name is spelled "Cera" and it's pronounced "Sierra" and it pisses me off all the time. Also names like "Bliss" and "Joy" are just asking for trouble, I used to go to school with two sisters named Harmony and Serenity, and they were both some of the meanest, most drama-prone girls I knew.
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby Eravial » Sun May 1, 18:48 2011

I'm not particularly a fan of Genevieve, Joe, Tanya, Richard (happens to be a family member's name, but that doesn't have anything to do with it), Veronica, Alan, Pete, Susan, Kensey, Gillian, and names that are spelled obnoxiously. I do know a girl named Aaren (pronounced slightly different from Erin), though, and I'm pretty fond of that spelling. I don't really care about a little spelling variation, but when you start throwing in excessive vowels/letters in general it gets messy. I don't much like Ann, but I'm fine with Anne.

While I don't really like these names, I can't say I really hate them. Ridiculous spellings do get to me though. Also I once had this kid at camp (which was targeted towards helping low-income kids) named Shi'thead, pronounced shih-thahd. Definitely was like O_O and then I just felt bad for the kid.

Oh, and rhyming names for twins. I'm friends with these twins, Tracey and Stacey, and people are always like "...really?" when they learn their names.
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
Dizzy with possibility
Eravial
1780 Spaceship
1780 Spaceship

Postby rowan » Sun May 1, 20:10 2011

There aren't really many names that make me cringe, unless they're going overboard with "cutesy" and "crazy spelling." I have a pretty uncommon name and I've never encountered someone with the same spelling as I have (the name became popular after I got it, so I figure I'm right ;)). I think it's awesome. However, I do know other people who have uncommon names and HATE it for that "oh I always have to spell it blaaah" so as far as the kid hating it....

I know someone who named their kid Libberty Belle. Yes, misspelled like that. Really.

I also know someone who named their kid "Streeter" and I was kind of like "bwah" but it's grown on me a little. Kind of.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby kelsa » Mon May 2, 0:46 2011

I am planning on naming my future basset hound puppy Harriet. I remind the Roogirl of this at least daily to make sure she does not venge on the promise of helping me to acquire said puppy. I also think it is a good human name, but nope, I love Harriet the Puppy RIGHT NOW and the name can't be used for anyone else in my life, evAr!
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art
kelsa

Postby StarsInUrEye » Mon May 2, 8:41 2011

I named my daughter Caden. only I spell it Kadin. eeekkksss.... I just liked it. Can't help it.

Wost name I'v ever hard was Rusty Boomer. seriously, yeah.
StarsInUrEye
Better get them out
Better get them out

Postby Aelwyn » Mon May 2, 12:29 2011

Butterfly North wrote:Also now I'm in Oxford I have a kind of snobbery about posh names. I'm not going to go into them on the public bit of the forum because that feels like bullying when I'm thinking of specific people. But it's hard when someone says to you 'Oh you must meet Crispin!' not to assume that Crispin is a bit of a twat (I don't know anyone called Crispin).

Uh jeez, I know exactly what you mean. Jonty's the name that really gets me.
My boyfriend's mum does house visits for people who've just had kids. Apparently there's a bit of a trend in naming baby boys Lennon after the Celtic manager Neil Lennon, ewwww.
Aelwyn
Demolitions.
Demolitions.

Postby spacefem » Mon May 2, 20:07 2011

Oh, so there's also the list of most popular twin names:
http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/twins.html

It's bad. 30 sets of twins last year were named Taylor & Tyler? Seriously? WHY? They're practically the same name! Faith & Hope is just cheesy. Aiden & Jayden is... just unfortunate.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby miketheheadlesschicken » Mon May 2, 23:27 2011

Eravial wrote:Oh, and rhyming names for twins. I'm friends with these twins, Tracey and Stacey, and people are always like "...really?" when they learn their names.

Aw man, I get called Stacy on accident allll the time.

I'm also not a big fan of the last-name-as-first-name thing, so I'm not a big fan of names like Palmer, Mackenzie, Madison, etc.
miketheheadlesschicken
Mola mola!
Mola mola!

Next

Return to Random Weirdos