Spacefem.com

June 12th is Loving Day

Feeling positive? Come cheer, celebrate, and uplift!

Moderators: lizpoona, Mathmo

June 12th is Loving Day

Postby spacefem » Sun Jun 5, 12:02 2011

You all know that I hate Valentine's Day and Sweetest Day and all those other trite stupid romantic holidays, so why am I excited about Loving Day? Because it's awesome.

Loving Day is a celebration of Richard and Mildred Loving, and interracial couple who won their right to be married in the landmark Supreme Court case, Loving v. Virginia, in 1967. They'd been arrested, sentenced to jail time and banished from their state, all because most people believed God made black people and white people to be separated and interracial marriage was a threat to everything marriage was supposed to be. Virginia law said that even cohabitation was "against the peace and dignity of the Commonwealth". The Lovings didn't set out to be political, they just wanted to be married. But the case they started and won was a huge victory for everyone who thinks marriage should be between people who love each other, regardless of who approves.

For more historical information and an "awe..." picture, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mildred_and_Richard_Loving

There are events all over the nation coming up in the next week or so, thanks to helpful folks at lovingday.org who are helping to promote the holiday. Loving Day's mission is to fight racial prejudice through education and to build multicultural community. You can find an event near you at:
http://www.lovingday.org

Mildred Loving, 2007 wrote:I am still not a political person, but I am proud that Richard's and my name is on a court case that can help reinforce the love, the commitment, the fairness, and the family that so many people, black or white, young or old, gay or straight, seek in life. I support the freedom to marry for all. That’s what Loving, and loving, are all about.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: June 12th is Loving Day

Postby Meperidine » Sun Jun 5, 15:32 2011

This is my favorite day too! I live next to Virginia, whose slogan is "Virginia is for lovers" and yet had this case and now is one of the big anti-gay-rights states of the east coast.
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jun 5, 16:38 2011

I love that quote. You can read a couple of paragraphs before it on the Wikipedia page, and the rest of it elsewhere. Here's my favorite, the paragraph above it.

Mildred Loving, 2007 wrote:Surrounded as I am now by wonderful children and grandchildren, not a day goes by that I don’t think of Richard and our love, our right to marry, and how much it meant to me to have that freedom to marry the person precious to me, even if others thought he was the 'wrong kind of person' for me to marry. I believe all Americans, no matter their race, no matter their sex, no matter their sexual orientation, should have that same freedom to marry. Government has no business imposing some people’s religious beliefs over others. Especially if it denies people's civil rights.

It's wonderful to hear her, with such strong convictions about a choice that she made out of love, acting on those convictions. Even more so, she sees past that struggle and applies it so beautifully to others' struggles for marriage.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby musicalcats » Tue Jun 7, 9:38 2011

I had never heard of it. Thanks for informing me, and I will definitely be celebrating! Pride in my city is that day, how perfect!
:clover:
musicalcats
established
established

Return to Happiness