Spacefem.com

Suck it AA, suck it! NSFW

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Suck it AA, suck it! NSFW

Postby edit the sad parts » Sat Sep 17, 21:55 2011

Not sure if anyone else has been following this so I will just give you all a quick run down. American Apparel recently announced a contest which they dubbed "The Next BIG Thing". This contest was used to find a plus-sized model for their plus size expansion on over 10 (that boast is taken directly from the website)styles. Nevermind they are only going up to a size 14, which falls into the size that an average of American women currently wear and never mind that all of the advertising for the contest used mocking and ridiculous language(also nevermind that this new plus size model was only winning a photo shoot and not going to regularly appear in AAs ads, or be payed or...anything really)Anyway, I am sure we have discussed AA here in the past and their lovely attitude towards and treatment of women. Thank goodness for Nancy Upton, who decided to make this entire contest a satire of itself and actually manage to win the damn thing, to boot. Of course AA reserved the right to pick someone they thought would be a good brand ambassador, so even though Nancy won by popular vote, someone else was awarded the prize. It still does not fail to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the power of the internet and the sheer creativity, wit and general pizazz of Nancy Upton, herself.

"My Name is Nancy Upton. I am a size 12 and wanted to show American Apparel my fresh face and full figure. My good friend Shannon Skloss came over to take some "booty-ful" photos of me... but I just couldn't stop eating."

American Apparel has since offered to fly Nancy out to their setup in LA so she can see what it's really like to work there as they feel that she somehow got the wrong impression. Nancy agreed as long as she can blog about her experience.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.
edit the sad parts
philophobia
philophobia

Re: Suck it AA, suck it! NSFW

Postby helium » Sat Sep 17, 22:02 2011

I've been following this some, this chick is BADASS. That picture with the pie cracks me up every time I see it.
I've had my share, I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby Aum » Sun Sep 18, 3:25 2011

I love this. So incredibly clever! And LMAO... the chicken one in the pool is hilarious!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby cwbyrvr » Sun Sep 18, 5:43 2011

I hadn't heard about this, those pictures are great, haha. The ranch one looks uncomfortable.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil

Postby Sonic# » Sun Sep 18, 6:25 2011

The ranch dressing bath horrifies me.

I think she's awesome. Sure, AA had a right to pick someone who was taking the contest seriously, but the letter some PR person sent rejecting her? The structuring of the entire contest? Their alternative stereotyping, phobia, and marketing of larger women? All as ridiculous as these photos, except not in a funny way. .
Sonic#
established
established

Postby Storage and Disposal » Sun Sep 18, 13:49 2011

Wow, she's pretty awesome. Can't wait to read her blog.
Dr. Mung-Mung wrote:He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world.
Storage and Disposal
You address omnipotence, tread carefully
You address omnipotence, tread carefully

Postby Butterfly North » Sun Sep 18, 14:06 2011

What an absolute legend! Never mind reading her blog, I want her to be my best friend.
Butterfly North
established
established

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Sun Sep 18, 14:43 2011

This lady kicks ass. I too want to read her blog.
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby Neko » Sun Sep 18, 15:33 2011

Butterfly North wrote:Never mind reading her blog, I want her to be my best friend.

Never mind being her best friend, I want that pie. And the one behind it.
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t = 1
Neko
TOUCH NOT THE CAT
TOUCH NOT THE CAT

Postby monk » Sun Sep 18, 16:56 2011

Neko wrote:
Butterfly North wrote:Never mind reading her blog, I want her to be my best friend.

Never mind being her best friend, I want that pie. And the one behind it.

me too.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Return to Random Weirdos