Spacefem.com

Fox News' @gretawire invents the feminist agenda

Because women are people too

Moderators: deanimal, lillerina, Tookie

Fox News' @gretawire invents the feminist agenda

Postby spacefem » Tue Jan 3, 6:42 2012

This year, Egyptian officials admitted to forcing virginity tests to women taken into custody after protests. And by "virginity tests" I mean sexual assault, plain and simple.

According to Greta Van Susteren, "feminists" have totally overlooked this because we're so self-absorbed we barely know there is an Egypt, and so politically correct we love Muslim extremists more than women's rights:
http://gretawire.foxnewsinsider.com/201 ... portunity/

You rarely hear uproar about horrible treatment if the women don’t actually die from it but instead endure a lifetime of oppression. Extreme Muslims get off the hook – it is politically incorrect to lambast them. It is disappointing that the feminists in the USA have failed us.

Apparently she missed our thread about this issue from LAST AUGUST:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=42589&p=636392

But that's just our feminist forum here on spacefem.com. Are we the best feminists ever, truly a light to the others who are all ignoring this issue?

Nope. Here's the topic on feministing:
http://feministing.com/2011/03/24/egypt ... ity-tests/

And "Oh no they didn't: feminism":
http://ontd-feminism.livejournal.com/548746.html

And the Feminist Majority:
http://feminist.org/blog/index.php/2011 ... ns-closet/

And Ms. Magazine:
http://msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2011/03 ... rotesters/

This just goes to prove my point to the world: never let the other side tell you what "feminists" are all about.

Is it difficult to tell what feminists are talking about? I don't think so. Why do Fox News writers struggle with it so much?
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Re: Fox News' @gretawire invents the feminist agenda

Postby lillerina » Tue Jan 3, 6:44 2012

Wilful ignorance.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes
lillerina
We are the internet. We are one.
We are the internet. We are one.

Postby rowan » Tue Jan 3, 9:17 2012

Well I would say we are truly a light of feminism. ;) But obviously we are not the only one, nor the most mainstream one. Fox News of course is definitely NOT. One could complain to them about their willful ignorance, but as usual it will be ignored willfully.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby Sonic# » Tue Jan 3, 10:55 2012

never let the other side tell you what "feminists" are all about.

Really, that ought to be true for any movement. Part of making an informed decision about a stance or movement is hearing what that side thinks and why they think it.

That said, it's a shame that a news organization is the other side.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby spacefem » Tue Jan 3, 10:59 2012

Sonic# wrote:That said, it's a shame that a news organization is the other side.

"News" organization, you mean. Punctuation is important.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby great girl wonder » Tue Jan 3, 12:20 2012

Instead of trying to unite citizens in a somewhat powerful/wealthy nation about the horrible actions committed against women in Egypt, Fox News choose the more tactful route of attacking a group of people and blaming them for not acting.
Clearly Fox News is the moral authority on who is good in this world.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?
great girl wonder
Someday you'll meet the real me
Someday you'll meet the real me

Postby Distress Signal » Wed Jan 4, 3:38 2012

It's just another attempt by the conservative right to undermine feminism and make people think that feminism is bad. Oh wait, that's already worked. Hardly anyone except for a small minority of people seems to actually understand and support feminism these days.
Distress Signal
established
established

Postby ladyhawk » Wed Jan 4, 11:03 2012

spacefem wrote:Why do Fox News writers struggle with it so much?

Because they never do any research before they publish articles. One time, there was an AWOL Solider around Fort Hood who got arrested for plotting to blow something up on post and Fox was the first outlet to publish anything about the incident. Then, after they published the article, someone working in their newsroom copied and pasted it into an e-mail to my office asking if we could confirm any of the "facts" that they'd ALREADY published.

So...yeah.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!
ladyhawk
established
established

Postby LunchBox » Wed Jan 4, 13:00 2012

It's frustrating how the information behind fox news comes straight out of the random conservative ass's.
It wasn't just feminists who were aghast at what happen in Egypt- on any site with a somewhat liberal user base, feminist or not; there was an uproar for days about these atrocities. For awhile there feminist sites joined by reddit and ect. were taken over by links to Al Jazeera reports, disdain for what was occurring, and attempts at bringing attention to the matter.

"Fox news" and similar were the ignorant ones who stood by and ignored it. It's disgustingly frustrating how they take "news" straight out of the ass's of conservative bigwigs.
LunchBox
established
established

Return to Feminism