Spacefem.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Feeling positive? Come cheer, celebrate, and uplift!

Moderators: lizpoona, Mathmo

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby DWH » Thu Jan 5, 20:31 2012

Okay guys, I've bitched and moaned about this game for the longest time because Lucasfilm decided that, rather than give us a single player RPG of Knights of the Old Republic 3, it would be much better to release a MMO that takes place 300 years later, and write a really crappy bridge novel to cover what KOTOR 3 ought to have covered. I wasn't even sure I was going to want to buy it.

Then the opportunity happened that I was able to get a free copy (basically, I was a costumed volunteer at EA Los Angeles' release day employee party wearing my KOTOR costume, and we were paid in free video games). For the price of free, I had to at least try it, right?

I can't help it. I am downright giddy playing this game. I only logged off because I am hungry and need to make dinner. It's not KOTOR 3, and never will be, but I'm not even off the first planet yet and I'm having a blast. I don't have to play with other people if I don't want to (and unless I know who they are, I won't- sorry, random guy who tried three times to add me to his group, with not so much as a 'hello' in the chat window). The chat channel isn't filled with crap, not yet anyway. I'm on a PvE server, so high level Sith can't just jump up behind me and kill me! It's weird having other random people running around doing the same things I am, but on the other hand, it's pretty damn close to being a single player RPG. I appreciate that. And, at least one of my coworkers is playing with me, which is fun. Even though I'm a shiny light side Jedi Knight, and he's an evil Trooper.

Speaking of things which are shiny- the game is gorgeous. I'd like to live on Tython, minus the Flesh Raider infestation. The graphics are beautiful, with the minor exception of some weird texture popping on the leaves any time I enter dialogue with another character. I've probably not made the most efficient use of my wandering in the quests, but hey, it's a pretty world.

And the main quest is fun so far. I don't know what to expect of the story, but it has one, and it does a good job of telling it. All the character dialogue is fully voiced, so you get to hear what your character sounds like! There are lots of voice cameos from voice actors from the original game, though I have yet to run into a Carth voice anyway (yeah, yeah, I am a gigantic Carth Onasi fangirl, SO SUE ME). I'm thoroughly enjoying myself.

Basically, I waited eight years from this game, and it is absolutely not what I wanted, and it is fantastic anyway. Go figure.

Now, to do some useful and productive things so I can log back on and do some more quests before bed. *shifty eyes*
:canada: :america:
I AM 1/3 OF THE JEDI KUNG-FU FIGHTING 1337 NINJA ASSASSIN TRIO!
:pirateflag: Fiddler of the SNSDW
Evil Lightsaber-Wielding Sith Lord Ewok of DOOM!!

vex wrote:I'd totally single white female your life.
DWH
diabolical techie
diabolical techie

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Postby Ama » Fri Jan 6, 0:47 2012

Sounds like you've just gotten hooked on your first MMO :) I've recently detached myself from WoW and am staying away from MMOs at present, but I'm happy to hear you're enjoying yourself! Being as involved in the Star Wars fandom as you are seems to have given you a lot of cool opportunities. Even if it's just something like free games, I imagine it must be very rewarding for you.

Having people randomly invite you into groups happens a *lot* in that sort of game, so... unfortunately you're going to have to put up with it to an extent. That sort of behavior tends to happen most at the lowest and highest levels though, so hopefully it won't be too long before you're able to play without having people bother you all the time.

It's unusual for an MMO to have a good story, and incredibly unusual to have fully voiced dialogue. I'm glad to hear that they're trying to keep the experience immersive for the people who care about the story. A lot of worlds don't even bother trying.

Remember to keep yourself hydrated and eat at least once or twice a day!
Member of l33t squad-The power to rectify the world!
dolphinlover: away, or not away, that is the question of ama
Proud to be a Draakist
Spacefem: "Conservapedia is definitely the gayest wiki ever."
Ama
Saner than an emu on acid
Saner than an emu on acid

Postby cwbyrvr » Fri Jan 6, 1:57 2012

I would try this but I'm not sure I ever want to go back to MMOs. I love the single player aspect of them but inevitably get wrapped into multiplayer/end game content and that's when I start to hate it. I just like to play at my own pace.

Glad you're enjoying, it though. I have heard from a lot of people who enjoy it and say that it's fun even if you don't do multiplayer stuff and it doesn't really feel like an MMO as much as others have. That sounds appealing but I'm still wary.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jan 6, 8:40 2012

When there's a good price drop or sale, I'll likely get it. A few of my friends have said similar things - that it's fun, immersive, and doesn't slack on the story. Also, as you mentioned, I've been on the lookout for KOTOR III for a long time now.

My problem with MMORPGs is that I reach a point where I get bored by the repetition and just stop signing in. This happened in WoW last year at around level 70. Alternatively, as with EVE, I don't feel like I have the time to care. It sounds like The Old Republic does a good job at addressing both of those problems, at least initially.
Sonic#
established
established

Return to Happiness