Spacefem.com

What's wrong with our bodies anyway?

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

What's wrong with our bodies anyway?

Postby ladyhawk » Thu Jan 12, 10:31 2012

An editorial was published in this month's issue of Plus Model magazine highlighting some statistics about the modeling industry. Specifically, the contrasting sizes of "normal" and "plus-sized" models and the average American woman.

I knew things were getting to be ridiculous, and, quite frankly, disparaging for a lot of women I have spoken to, but I had no idea what the statistics actually were. This article was an eye-opener for me.

Here: http://plus-model-mag.com/2012/01/plus-size-bodies-what-is-wrong-with-them-anyway/

There's a link at the bottom of that summary to the original post, which I cannot access from this particular computer, or I would post that.

A few of these statistics really struck me.

The majority of plus-size models on agency boards are between a size 6 and 14

Seriously? At my healthiest, I was a size 8. (I'm slightly bigger than that now, due to not having lost all of my baby weight quite yet, but I'm okay with it.) I'm 5'8" and I weighed 160 pounds. I had no idea that in the modeling industry that was considered plus-sized. It's a little ludicrous to me, especially when considering this:

50% of women wear a size 14 or larger

The discouraging part about that is not the size of these women, but what they can expect to find in many clothing stores.

most standard clothing outlets cater to sizes 14 or smaller.

These are only some of the statistics in the editorial.

While the statistics are really disheartening, the editorial also highlights things that women can do to help change these things, and I think that's awesome. Personally, I have heard a lot of displeased grumblings from women about the problems with the way average women are marketed to by the use of skinny women in the fashion industry, but I haven't heard a whole lot about how we can change it.

What do you all think? After reading the article and editorial, do any of you think there is anything else we can do to be proactive about this?
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!
ladyhawk
established
established

Re: What's wrong with our bodies anyway?

Postby monk » Thu Jan 12, 14:27 2012

This really just mystifies me, in a free market shouldn't the clothing producers want to cater to the majority of people who are their customers?

you would think they would produce larger sizes to make more money.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby Meperidine » Thu Jan 12, 14:36 2012

Twenty years ago this shit was at least marginally more under control. The percentage-thinner stat was a real eye-opener. I'm spreading this around, hope everyone else does too.
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby spacefem » Thu Jan 12, 15:02 2012

monk wrote:This really just mystifies me, in a free market shouldn't the clothing producers want to cater to the majority of people who are their customers?

you would think they would produce larger sizes to make more money.

Sadly, the idea is that people will pay more money for your clothes (which is better than buying more of your clothes!) if you're seen as the type of store that skinny, aka "pretty and accepted" people shop at.

I'm below the suggested weight for my height, medically speaking, but am constantly having to buy L or XL shirts so the shoulders fit or whatever, and I'm always like, "who the hell buys smalls? Six year olds?"
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby Rainbow Dolphins » Thu Jan 12, 15:50 2012

I feel a little isolated from this cause because I actually fit the skinny-big-titted stereotype you see in the clothing industry, and my dress size is marketed to. (However, I still can't ever seem to find any clothes that fit. Who are these clothes actually made for?) So, I care deeply about this problem, but I'm not sure what I can do to help?
"Everything's gonna be OK soon, maybe tomorrow- maybe the next day." -the Mountain Goats
:chainsaw:!
Rainbow Dolphins
freakish chainsaw girl
freakish chainsaw girl

Postby Sonic# » Thu Jan 12, 15:56 2012

A big problem is that small, slimming, and the like are marketed/seen as desirable and fashionable. Even many of those who don't fit the standard look for particular forms in their clothing that try to mimic the ideal. Of course, as the scale goes up there are fewer options in many boutiques. So it's a narrower field at the top in several ways.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby ladyhawk » Thu Jan 12, 17:20 2012

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:I feel a little isolated from this cause because I actually fit the skinny-big-titted stereotype you see in the clothing industry, and my dress size is marketed to. (However, I still can't ever seem to find any clothes that fit. Who are these clothes actually made for?) So, I care deeply about this problem, but I'm not sure what I can do to help?

It actually really bothers me that you can't find clothes that fit either. I know when I was thinner, I had HUGE problems finding clothes to accomodate both my frame and my chest. Maybe that's it? All the same, I'm sorry this thread made you feel isolated. :( What I take away, mainly, is that no one should be isolated because of their figure. Maybe, if you really want to help, you could just share the editorial with another person who hasn't seen it?
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!
ladyhawk
established
established

Postby LunchBox » Thu Jan 12, 17:38 2012

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:I feel a little isolated from this cause because I actually fit the skinny-big-titted stereotype you see in the clothing industry, and my dress size is marketed to. (However, I still can't ever seem to find any clothes that fit. Who are these clothes actually made for?) So, I care deeply about this problem, but I'm not sure what I can do to help?

I'm in the same boat as you. Children's clothes are my friend although they won't fit my boobs well and on the other hand junior's clothes are baggy everywhere else. Clothes are unrealistic, period. It is much worse with plus sizes though.

A quote on the matter by the classy Tim Gunn:
“Have you seen most of the plus-size sections out there? It’s horrifying. Whoever’s designing for plus-size doesn’t get it. The entire garment needs to be reconceived. You can’t just take a size 8 and make it larger. In my travels, I’ve been an advocate for larger women. I’ve been talking to designers, but only a half-dozen make an effort. Most say, ‘I don’t want a woman who’s a size 10 or 11 wearing my clothes.’ Well, shame on you! It’s not realistic. We need to address real women with real needs.”
-Tim Gunn
LunchBox
established
established

Postby ladyhawk » Thu Jan 12, 19:17 2012

I love Time Gunn. And that is such a perfect quote.
ladyhawk
established
established

Postby Neko » Thu Jan 12, 19:41 2012

Now you know why I hate buying clothes. Hate. Hate hate hate hate. You aren't allowed to be average anymore.

The fashion industry can eat out my asshole.
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t = 1
Neko
TOUCH NOT THE CAT
TOUCH NOT THE CAT

Postby spacefem » Thu Jan 12, 20:05 2012

ladyhawk wrote:I love Time Gunn. And that is such a perfect quote.

THISSS! Did you see his "it gets better" video? I cried like a freaking baby.
spacefem
queen of everything
queen of everything

Postby LunchBox » Thu Jan 12, 21:54 2012

I love Tim Gunn so hard. That is all.
LunchBox
established
established

Postby Butterfly North » Fri Jan 13, 6:51 2012

I am an usual sort of shape on my bottom half so I do sometimes struggle finding trousers (my legs are slim and my hips and ass are normal and I need longer length) but I've noticed that UK shops have got a lot better at catering to this. Every Topshop has a 'long' and a 'petite' section, every H&M and New Look has a plus size section, New Look and Gap and H&M have started grouping trousers by shape and offering hints on to which cuts suit which shape. Meanwhile, Zara seem to nothing but structured dresses that look incredible on women with hips and bust, and I have to wear XXS in everything because they seem to have decided it's ok to be a UK size 14 so long as your clothes are labelled 'S'.

And the thing that strikes me as weird about this is that the models they have up on the walls in these shops must exclusively be wearing clothes from the 'long' range (or in Zara they must be XXXXXXXXS) or else they have had the clothes being sold to everyone else adjusted so the models can wear them and look good, because they're designed for people with hips but model agency stubbornly refuse to hire such fatties.
Butterfly North
established
established

Postby edit the sad parts » Fri Jan 13, 12:50 2012

I like the Tim Gunn quote, aside from the real women bit.

I've been Plus my entire life. Shopping has almost always been a nightmare and can often easily end with me either feeling horrible or just depressed if I can't find what I am looking for. I'm not even asking for anything exceptional. I'm talking about bras, flattering tshirts without awful Ed Hardyesque shit all over them, tights, dresses with sleeves..etc. A few years ago I could turn to thrift stores to fill the gap, but as you go up in size the selection there is virtually non-existent.

The selection in Canada is just absolute shit and is lightyears behind most other places style-wise. Most recently I have started shopping online from a couple of stores in the UK. It makes me feel horrible about my carbon footprint, but I am finding less and less to buy in my city, and even after duty and taxes it is cheaper than shopping here - ridiculous!

Why don't more stores and designers cater to a growing, lucrative market? You'd think that would be a logical step. I've heard it explained that the numbers show that people of size do not spend as much money on clothing as straight-sized people. When stores have offered extended ranges in the past, they often do not sell enough to justify keeping them in stores(some do take the extended sizes to online shopping - how kind).
Well, gee, I wonder why that could be? Could it be that....

1) People of size have already been made to feel like they do not belong at your store(and in malls in general), and would have no reason to set foot unless you made an effort to promote them coming, in other than offering one hidden rack of clothing?

2) The offerings for most stores plus sizes are hideous, unflattering and made with a quality far inferior to everything else in the store. Not to mention the racks are stashed at the back, up the stairs, or anywhere that is out of sight and out of mind from the straight-sized customers.

3) Plus-size clothes, in the past, have also been offered at MUCH higher prices. I'm sorry, but a bit of extra fabric is not a justification to double the price of the garment. That is a blantant rip-off and insult(Old Navy is one of the few companies that has equal pricing for their plus clothing, but in Canada they have never offered plus sizes and we have to shop online).

As well, there is the sentiment that Spacefem mentioned briefly, that having average and above average people buying an exclusive brand kind of makes it an inclusive brand, and that is not cool. Would you want to shop at Holt if you had to see fatties buying the same dress as you? Up to this point, the thin body has been put on a pedestal, why would someone want to share that feeling and have their illusion shattered? When you buy an exclusive brand, you're buying into a fantasy.

I have a few wishes here:

1) We stop conflating weight with health and morality. (I feel this would go a loooong way towards fat acceptance, which would in turn make it okay to be fat and shop in the same store as a thin person)

2) Some fashion bigwig, somewhere, gets it into their heads that people of size have a lot of money to spend and they are just waiting to find a store that will welcome them with open arms and treat them fairly.

3) We start to all realize that nearly 100 billion per year diet-industry is bullshit and pushing a bullshit ideal that is not helping anyone make any kind of progress towards health and wellness.
What was once before you - an exciting, mysterious future - is now behind you. Lived; understood; disappointing. You realize you are not special. You have struggled into existence, and are now slipping silently out of it. This is everyone's experience. Every single one. The specifics hardly matter. Everyone's everyone.
edit the sad parts
philophobia
philophobia

Postby drunken dragon » Sun Jan 15, 0:27 2012

misoUist wrote:what's wrong with your bodies is the fact you don't have a penis

DAMN is that what I've been doing wrong for 22 years?!
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.
drunken dragon
I like where this is going.
I like where this is going.

Postby Aum » Sun Jan 15, 2:24 2012

I have similar issues, but in the tall department. I can never find clothes that fit me without going to a "tall store" where the clothes are for old men. High fashion seems to fit me, but I could never afford it in a million years. I find it ironic that men on the runway are these tall, thin guys, yet in the stores that is never reflected. I have to choose between waist or leg, but rarely ever get both. I have a friend living in China who gets clothes made for me once a year and I wire her money. It's the only way I can get clothes that fit. Virtually all of the tall clothes I've seen have bigger waists which implies that if you are tall you must also be a muscle man.

I really hate the clothing and fashion industry for what they do to people's minds above all else. If there were a profit motive I could at least understand the stupidity - but there isn't even that. There are millions of dollars to be made in catering to well-represented size demographics, but they don't seem to want to do this. It's all about a fantasy. Who decides?

I know it's a different kind of rant... but I am so tired of being fed this muscle man image. All guys in hollywood who take their shirts off look ripped, but they have personal trainers working with them every day and they have luxury lifestyles to support their high calorie diets. Just because I'm tall doesn't mean I want to be the fucking hulk, you assholes.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown

Postby LunchBox » Sun Jan 15, 2:27 2012

misoUist wrote:what's wrong with your bodies is the fact you don't have a penis

Is that so? Penis envy and such? Get back to 4chan, candy ass.
LunchBox
established
established

Return to Random Weirdos