Spacefem.com

Academic rigor, baby.

Miscellaneous topics worth talking about.

Moderators: monk, helium, deanimal

Academic rigor, baby.

Postby DWH » Sun Jan 29, 3:22 2012

So, here's a fun one I was recently alerted to. Newsweek decided to rank colleges not by their usual system, or by how hard they are to get into, to create a list of the most academically rigorous colleges in the US. This piqued my interest, because I went to a very academically rigorous college, but Ivy League types tended to turn up their nose at us, because we were easier to get into. Never mind there are a lot of reasons for this that have nothing to do with our academics, and everything to do with name recognition. Also, we produce hippies, and that impacts the student base that applies.

ANYWAY. The list: http://www.thedailybeast.com/newsweek/f ... s.all.html

I was pretty gratified to see that Oberlin came in ahead of both Harvard and Yale. Also, if anyone remembers Zorp, she applied to (and was rejected from) Oberlin, but ended up at St. John's, which is ranked ahead of Oberlin in academic rigor.

I quite like this list. A lot of the ones on there, especially the ones ahead of Oberlin, are ones I looked at and really liked, but are not necessarily well known. I think it's great for small, awesome colleges to get the props they deserve. Also, I appreciate it when schools are ranked on something other than the usual ranking, because a large chunk of that ranking is based on the reputation of the school, and ever since the rankings have been published, the reputation of the school is tied to its ranking, and if the ranking falls for some reason, more people start thinking, "Huh, X school must be slipping." So the ranking falls again, because their ranking fell last year, and more people notice, and it's this never ending cycle.

Also, my roommate is in Oberlin right now and it's making me homesick for my alma mater. I'm just going to go read why the fuck should I choose Oberlin for a while now...
:canada: :america:
I AM 1/3 OF THE JEDI KUNG-FU FIGHTING 1337 NINJA ASSASSIN TRIO!
:pirateflag: Fiddler of the SNSDW
Evil Lightsaber-Wielding Sith Lord Ewok of DOOM!!

vex wrote:I'd totally single white female your life.
DWH
diabolical techie
diabolical techie

Re: Academic rigor, baby.

Postby kelsa » Sun Jan 29, 5:51 2012

They didn't list my particular school, but they did list our parent school so I'm down with it. Small liberal arts colleges sort of get the shove in traditional rankings, so this is a good list to produce.
I could paint you in the dark
cause I've studied you with hunger
like a work of art
kelsa
A crooked squirrel murdering fish.
A crooked squirrel murdering fish.

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jan 29, 7:39 2012

Good list! Neither of my schools are on there (not surprised), but I was delighted to see St. Johns at #1 (I eyed that school very hard) and Furman at #2 (a friend of mine went there, and she's the definition of academically rigorous).
Sonic#
established
established

Postby LunchBox » Sun Jan 29, 11:22 2012

I am kind of glad that my school isn't on there. The ABET certified computer engineering program I'm going through is rigorous enough by itself.
LunchBox
established
established

Postby Neko » Sun Jan 29, 12:00 2012

The university I'm planning to transfer to isn't up there and I'm also glad. The program I'm going for is harder to get into than the school itself.
(Z->)90° - (E-N²W)90°t = 1
Neko
TOUCH NOT THE CAT
TOUCH NOT THE CAT

Postby Meperidine » Sun Jan 29, 13:17 2012

Bard came two behind Oberlin to narrowly edge out Harvard. Fuck yeah.
:heart: and :spacefem:
Meperidine
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"
"Pr0n for t3h MIND!"

Postby helium » Sun Jan 29, 17:48 2012

I'm a little bit surprised my school isn't on there but also very glad, haha. This is a really cool way to rank schools though.
those like you who lost their way,
murdered on the interstate
while the red bells rang like thunder

:spork: :bomb: BMMhuhwha?
"No, I can't see, fuck-mook! I have no eyes!"
helium
I solve my problems with violence
I solve my problems with violence

Postby drunken dragon » Sun Jan 29, 20:08 2012

Go figure, my tiny west Texas university isn't on the list.
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.
drunken dragon
I like where this is going.
I like where this is going.

Postby rowan » Mon Jan 30, 10:12 2012

Huh I'm surprised my school* isn't on there; from what I saw at Harvard (I actually TA'd there a semester, can you believe it) our school definitely had them beat out.

*the one I did my undergrad at - not the one I'm teaching at now

but yeah. I like to see how few Research-1 schools are on there. Heh.
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Postby ladyhawk » Mon Jan 30, 10:18 2012

None of those schools are the school I will be finishing at, and none of them are the school I've been attending, but Franklin and Marshal is located in the town I will be moving to in three months. Hm.
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!
ladyhawk
established
established

Return to Random Weirdos