Spacefem.com

How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Because women are people too

Moderators: deanimal, lillerina, Tookie

How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby lillerina » Sat Mar 23, 9:54 2013



This is how a decent person reacts to a drunk person passing out. Make them comfortable. Try to make sure they don't choke on their own vomit. And have a glass of water ready for when they wake up and their mouth feels like they just got done making out with the welcome mat.

It sucks that this needs to be said, though.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes
User avatar
lillerina
We are the internet. We are one.
We are the internet. We are one.
 
Posts: 6966
Joined: Mon Jan 9, 8:32 2006
Location: Meppi's Cedar Closet / Narnia

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby monk » Sat Mar 23, 13:40 2013

I understand that now, but when I was younger, those entering my house who passed out from alcoholic excess were sometimes subjected to the magic marker treatment. But to be fair women and men were both fair game and there was rubbing alcohol available to remove the body graffiti if they happened to notice it before they left the house. Suffice to say that if someone passed out in our house once and woke with a penis drawn on their face they were unlikely to repeat the performance.

I also think it's more likely now that I would not let someone get so wasted in my house so as to pass out. My recent social things usually encompass a 1-2 hour sober up period at the end of the evening.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
User avatar
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.
 
Posts: 7440
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 23:46 2003

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby LonePakistani » Sat Mar 23, 15:03 2013

lillerina wrote:

This is how a decent person reacts to a drunk person passing out. Make them comfortable. Try to make sure they don't choke on their own vomit. And have a glass of water ready for when they wake up and their mouth feels like they just got done making out with the welcome mat.

It sucks that this needs to be said, though.


The topic is how to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch. So should drunk passed out men be made uncomfortable, made to choke on their own vomit and have a glass of salt water ready for when they're ready to wake up? Come on miss, I thought feminism was about equality.
LonePakistani
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 9:11 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby Sonic# » Sat Mar 23, 16:11 2013

I enjoyed the video. Depicting good behavior towards women in no way implies bad behavior towards men.
User avatar
Sonic#
established
established
 
Posts: 2844
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby great girl wonder » Sun Mar 24, 1:05 2013

LonePakistani wrote:
The topic is how to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch. So should drunk passed out men be made uncomfortable, made to choke on their own vomit and have a glass of salt water ready for when they're ready to wake up? Come on miss, I thought feminism was about equality.


This in no way encourages any negative behavior towards men. This video is responding to the basic rape culture that if a woman is passed out then she is consenting or open for business. Consent means "Yes, please" not simply the absence of 'no'.

I love this video, I do feel like it ran a little longer. They could shave 5 seconds off of it but other than that you know it's spot on.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?
User avatar
great girl wonder
Someday you'll meet the real me
Someday you'll meet the real me
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 17:56 2005
Location: Bay Area

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby cwbyrvr » Sun Mar 24, 11:27 2013

The reason this video exists is because it's topical, because women are much more commonly the ones who have something happen to them at parties if they pass out. Dudes can feel pretty secure that the most they risk is a few dicks being drawn on their faces or their eyebrows being shaved. That's not okay either, but it barely compares.

And before you bring it up, no, I am not saying that guys do not get taken advantage of at parties as well. It just happens so much more rarely and it's not perceived as a societal risk for men to get too drunk and pass out at parties, whereas if a woman does it and something happens to her, she's told she got what she was "asking for." That is not okay.
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
User avatar
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil
 
Posts: 6316
Joined: Mon Nov 3, 13:32 2003
Location: A Box of Fermented Grape Juice.

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby LonePakistani » Sun Mar 24, 14:02 2013

cwbyrvr wrote:The reason this video exists is because it's topical, because women are much more commonly the ones who have something happen to them at parties if they pass out. Dudes can feel pretty secure that the most they risk is a few dicks being drawn on their faces or their eyebrows being shaved. That's not okay either, but it barely compares.

And before you bring it up, no, I am not saying that guys do not get taken advantage of at parties as well. It just happens so much more rarely and it's not perceived as a societal risk for men to get too drunk and pass out at parties, whereas if a woman does it and something happens to her, she's told she got what she was "asking for." That is not okay.


Well when I was a teenager, I went to quite a few parties with alcohol involved in them. If a girl said so much as, "Get away from me you creep," it warranted an asshanding to the guy. Had he done something or not. My own friend did something like this which she regrets today. Taking advantage of a passed out girl at a party? No sane guy would have that thought in his mind. Not if the 15, 6 foot, armed guards at the entrance had something to say about it.

Therefore you cannot take advantage of a girl at a party. Maybe at a party where there is no security. But who would be so stupid to go to a party like that? And I doubt there are such parties anyways.
LonePakistani
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Mar 20, 9:11 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby Aum » Sun Mar 24, 15:02 2013

Drunk people aren't allowed to pass out on my couch. Their friends can take them home, or I'll call them a cab. If you can't handle your liquor then you don't get a second invite.

The sentiment behind the video is correct though.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.
User avatar
Aum
Into The Unknown
Into The Unknown
 
Posts: 2725
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 23:35 2007
Location: Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby Butterfly North » Sun Mar 24, 16:46 2013

I think it's that 'to' word that's telling. Saying 'guess what I'm going to do to her' and then doing a load of things for her. And yet the former is the sort of language that is too commonly used when talking about sex.
User avatar
Butterfly North
established
established
 
Posts: 1498
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 15:06 2008

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby great girl wonder » Mon Mar 25, 19:09 2013

LonePakistani wrote:
Therefore you cannot take advantage of a girl at a party. Maybe at a party where there is no security. But who would be so stupid to go to a party like that? And I doubt there are such parties anyways.

I have never gone to a party with security guards. And most bars I've seen have at most 3 bouncers. Guards at parties are not common in the United States.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?
User avatar
great girl wonder
Someday you'll meet the real me
Someday you'll meet the real me
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 17:56 2005
Location: Bay Area

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby androkguz » Thu Mar 28, 15:16 2013

A guy who passes out in a party is at a very high risk of some cruel prank much worse than getting a penis drawn on their faces, like being thrown on the pool or having someone wake them with a shout. But yeah, nothing close to being raped while unconscious, not that such thing happens around my social group.
Everything you say will be used against you in a court of internet trolls
androkguz
established
established
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 14:37 2012

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby Anonguy » Sat Mar 30, 3:14 2013

androkguz wrote:A guy who passes out in a party is at a very high risk of some cruel prank much worse than getting a penis drawn on their faces, like being thrown on the pool or having someone wake them with a shout. But yeah, nothing close to being raped while unconscious, not that such thing happens around my social group.


I have no idea how likely or unlikely a man is to be sexually assaulted for passing out at a party. I simply don't know...but you don't really know yourself.
I will tell you one thing however... very few people would even recognize someone getting sexually assaulted as sexual assault and much much less so if it was a man.

The only way to fight this is with education for everybody... and don't just focus on women as victims. Men already don't get recognized so lets nip that before it gets any more out of hand.

Trigger warning for rape,rape apologist,, rape jokes, and pretty much everything else below.
I uncensored blurd of my history and the best example of why underage drinking is a very very bad thing.

I have been sexually assaulted/raped. I was very young (freshmen in high school I think) and at a party with some people I did not really know drinking a few beers and smoking some weed. Next thing I knew I had stumbled outside fell down on the grass and started puking. Everyone was standing over my trying to figure out what to do. In the end they just let me be (I still have no idea what happened to me to make me fall like that) However one of the girls and one of the guys stayed close to me but everyone could still see me.
The two of them did not have my best interest in mind. I do remember one of the guys telling the two of them that putting what ever it was up my ass was fucked up... I remember another guy saying "He is going to kick your ass when he gets up". I also remember another guy telling me that when her boyfriend found out that I was going to get my ass kicked...soooo yah I guess getting raped also still counts as scoring if its from a women! The guy stopped when someone asked him if he was gay (I think he was also the one who said that's fucked up). Homophobia to the rescue!

I don't remember what happened after that. I walked home ashamed of what I (yah I said I here) had done and confused. I have no idea how long I was out... felt like hours but I think it was closer to 30mins about.
No one stopped what was happening to me and mostly they just looked confused themselves. I honestly do not think any of them thought what they were seeing was rape... not even the two rapist.
Anyway as a funny aside My two biggest triggers turned out to be the smell of grass (lawn) and the smell of grass (weed)... and I worked for a pothead at his lawn service making what little cash I had.

On second thought that bit is is just kinda rambling...so "edit"
"There is perhaps no phenomenon which contains so much destructive feeling as moral indignation, which permits envy or hate to be acted out under the guise of virtue." -Erick Fromm
Anonguy
established
established
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sun Dec 2, 3:10 2012

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby wolfshiem » Mon Apr 15, 19:47 2013

My complaint is focusing so much on "violence against women" just reinforces traditional gender roles.
"Don't hit a woman", "Treat women with respect", etc.

It's going to be a hell of a time trying to get unisex sports teams.
I'm the reason we can't have nice things.
wolfshiem
established
established
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 14:49 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby rowan » Mon Apr 15, 20:18 2013

Are you seriously comparing sports teams to rape and domestic violence??
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
User avatar
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
 
Posts: 7070
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby anonymousrabbit » Mon Apr 15, 20:31 2013

wolfshiem wrote:My complaint is focusing so much on "violence against women" just reinforces traditional gender roles.
"Don't hit a woman", "Treat women with respect", etc.

It's going to be a hell of a time trying to get unisex sports teams.


Awwww, I'm sorry it's inconvenient to you to be told to recognize the rights of a group of people that literally make up half of the world's population. We'll try harder to make things more to your liking, even if it means fucking over roughly 3.5 billion people. It will be totally worth it in order to make things comfortable for wolfshiem !

Or how about this: We'll stop saying it when it no longer needs to be said.
User avatar
anonymousrabbit
established
established
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 7, 9:24 2012

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby mrequality » Mon Apr 15, 23:06 2013

thats cute. it was probably his girlfriend
mrequality
UFO
UFO
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Apr 14, 20:49 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby Tookie » Mon Apr 15, 23:45 2013

I mean, the idea behind "treat women with respect" isn't that women are in need of protection per se, it's that there are too many dudes out there who are total assholes (and worse) to women, and that's shitty.

Unrelated, but: did anyone else think about the crick she'll have in her neck from that pillow when she wakes up? Ouch.
The personal is the political.
helium wrote:Every vagina is different, right? A unique and original vag-snowflake?
User avatar
Tookie
Spleentastic!
Spleentastic!
 
Posts: 4761
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 16:34 2004
Location: Canada

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby wolfshiem » Tue Apr 16, 12:35 2013

anonymousrabbit wrote:
wolfshiem wrote:My complaint is focusing so much on "violence against women" just reinforces traditional gender roles.
"Don't hit a woman", "Treat women with respect", etc.

It's going to be a hell of a time trying to get unisex sports teams.


Awwww, I'm sorry it's inconvenient to you to be told to recognize the rights of a group of people that literally make up half of the world's population. We'll try harder to make things more to your liking, even if it means fucking over roughly 3.5 billion people. It will be totally worth it in order to make things comfortable for wolfshiem !

Or how about this: We'll stop saying it when it no longer needs to be said.

I'm not forcing you to not reinforce traditional gender roles. You go right ahead.
Plus, you're seriously jumping to an extreme.

rowan wrote:Are you seriously comparing sports teams to rape and domestic violence??

No, I'm not. I mention nothing of the sort. I'm saying focusing on the violence of a specific group breeds higher treatment for that group. That wouldn't be a problem if that wasn't already part of a traditional gender role. I find it counter-intuitive to reinforce it when breaking out of traditional gender roles is what we're all trying to do.
I'm the reason we can't have nice things.
wolfshiem
established
established
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 14:49 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby anonymousrabbit » Tue Apr 16, 15:10 2013

wolfshiem wrote: you're seriously jumping to an extreme.


Hey, what can I say? Insipid inflammatory posts spawn insipid inflammatory responses. :)

wolfshiem wrote:reinforce traditional gender roles


I wish that respecting women was a part of traditional gender roles. Alas, as it is not, we have to tell people to respect women.
User avatar
anonymousrabbit
established
established
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 7, 9:24 2012

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby wolfshiem » Wed Apr 17, 21:20 2013

anonymousrabbit wrote:
wolfshiem wrote: you're seriously jumping to an extreme.


Hey, what can I say? Insipid inflammatory posts spawn insipid inflammatory responses. :)

wolfshiem wrote:reinforce traditional gender roles


I wish that respecting women was a part of traditional gender roles. Alas, as it is not, we have to tell people to respect women.

Oh goodness me. The feminism I know was trying to tear down chivalry, not reinforce it.
I have no problem with the issues themselves being worked on but when we as the target that needs to be protected more you reinforce traditional roles.

I'm trying to resist going full passive-aggressive with you but I hope you know that despite your good intentions, you fighting for one cause this way enhances another problem.
I'm the reason we can't have nice things.
wolfshiem
established
established
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 14:49 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby great girl wonder » Thu Apr 18, 0:14 2013

Treat every human being well. Men, women, children, Catholics, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics...... you know, everyone.

Woman are more likely to be taken advantage of and assaulted while drunk so this video draws attention to that issue. Protect all of your drunk friends but be aware that the female ones are more likely to be targeted for abuse.
It is a far better thing to love than to be loved; to adore than be adored. -David Turrill, An Apology for Autumn
monk wrote:so what you're saying is that great girl wonder beat the pants off you?
User avatar
great girl wonder
Someday you'll meet the real me
Someday you'll meet the real me
 
Posts: 1352
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 17:56 2005
Location: Bay Area

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby anonymousrabbit » Thu Apr 18, 7:42 2013

wolfshiem wrote:The feminism I know was trying to tear down chivalry, not reinforce it.


You don’t have to support chivalry to support not hitting women. Also, supporting chivalry is the opposite of respecting women, for although it masquerades as respect by hiding behind good behaviour, it doesn’t actually respect women because this good behaviour comes out of a belief that women are inferior beings in need of special protection, which as you say, makes them

wolfshiem wrote:the target that needs to be protected more you reinforce traditional roles.


Also,
wolfshiem wrote:I'm trying to resist going full passive-aggressive with you


This made my day! It made me spit-take my coffee this morning :)
User avatar
anonymousrabbit
established
established
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 7, 9:24 2012

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby wolfshiem » Thu Apr 18, 16:32 2013

anonymousrabbit wrote:
wolfshiem wrote:The feminism I know was trying to tear down chivalry, not reinforce it.


You don’t have to support chivalry to support not hitting women. Also, supporting chivalry is the opposite of respecting women, for although it masquerades as respect by hiding behind good behaviour, it doesn’t actually respect women because this good behaviour comes out of a belief that women are inferior beings in need of special protection, which as you say, makes them

wolfshiem wrote:the target that needs to be protected more you reinforce traditional roles.


For the sake of the thread this is the last I'll be talking about this here. I have no problem with taking this discussion up through PMs though.
You have no proof to say that's why it's chivalric behavior is teaching men to condescend but, if you actually speak to them, they are taught to treat women as a higher status. That's why in group preference studies both men and women support women more no matter what they're talking about and why men end up spending more on their partners than women on average. You completely misunderstand what they're doing. You can go on and talk about why this came about and you'd have no solid proof connecting belief of weakness to the creation of chivalry but you can't ignore how boys are taught today.

I'm not saying we shouldn't fight to end this kind of violence. I'm saying if you focus on 'violence against women' people will indeed begin to think of violence against women when they should be thinking of violence as a whole. That is the more gender equal thing to do. We don't want to spread any social stigmas because they're kick us in the butt more than it should when we try to head into things like unisex sports.



great girl wonder wrote:Treat every human being well. Men, women, children, Catholics, Jews, Blacks, Hispanics...... you know, everyone.

Woman are more likely to be taken advantage of and assaulted while drunk so this video draws attention to that issue. Protect all of your drunk friends but be aware that the female ones are more likely to be targeted for abuse.

Exactly. 100% with you.
I'm the reason we can't have nice things.
wolfshiem
established
established
 
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 14:49 2013

Re: How to react when a drunk woman passes out on your couch

Postby anonymousrabbit » Sat Apr 20, 15:09 2013

wolfshiem wrote:You have no proof to say that's why it's chivalric behavior is teaching men to condescend

And you have no proof to say that I have no proof. The absence of something does not prove that it doesn't exist. (Is your mind blown yet? 'Cause that's like, deep, man! You know, like worlds within worlds and trolls trolling trolls, and shit)
wolfshiem wrote: you can't ignore how boys are taught today

You're right, I can't. Having been the target of such lessons throughout my life (and even now, as an adult), they are very much a part of my daily existence.
wolfshiem wrote:I'm saying if you focus on 'violence against women' people will indeed begin to think of violence against women when they should be thinking of violence as a whole. That is the more gender equal thing to do.

Ah, the favourite derailing tactic, bread and butter for uninspired trolls everywhere! Alright, let's get the obligatory desired response to this derailing out of the way so that you can feel validated: If problems x,y, and z are all elements in set P representing a big problem, discussion of element x ∈ P does not in itself have any bearing on the importance/validity or value of elements y and z ∈ P or even ∀ p (p ∈ P, p ≠ x). Therefore, unless otherwise noted, discussion of x is literally just that: discussion of x. y and z may also be important, and can remain important while simultaneously being extraneous to the discussion of x. Furthermore, there are problems P that are impossible to tackle without focusing on the individual elements of the set, so at best this derail smacks of oversimplification, and at worst, a desire to hinder the solving of P altogether. Well, I think that's enough validation for today! If you want a more in depth response to this derail, Google is your friend. You'll find plenty of examples there!
User avatar
anonymousrabbit
established
established
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Feb 7, 9:24 2012

Next

Return to Feminism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests