Spacefem.com

gender survey

Feeling positive? Come cheer, celebrate, and uplift!

Moderators: lizpoona, Mathmo

gender survey

Postby rowan » Sat Apr 20, 17:03 2013

So I'm doing some research on my students (muahahahahahha) and I did a demographic survey in the big intro class and I put "other" as one of the options for gender and SOMEONE CHECKED IT. I hope I made their day by including it!

Thanks to all you spacefemmites, I would never have thought to do it if we hadn't talked about such things here.

:D
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Re: gender survey

Postby cornflake girl » Sat Apr 20, 18:16 2013

That's really cool!
cornflake girl
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer

Postby Sonic# » Sun Apr 21, 8:53 2013

That's really awesome! I'm glad that they were able to respond that way.
Sonic#
established
established

Postby cwbyrvr » Sun Apr 21, 10:48 2013

Someone I'm close to gets pretty upset when filling out forms with only two gender options, to the extent of often dropping all interest in whatever it was they were doing that asked for their gender. It's great to hear of more people including "other" as an option at the very least. That's really all it takes for people to feel included :)
spacefem wrote:incidently, hearing "i love you" doesn't count if you're naked. it's just too easy to love a naked person.

Rainbow Dolphins wrote:My armpits are the only area of my body that almost always stays clean-shaven, because if I let it go I feel like a 15-year-old boy trying to grow a beard. In my armpits.
cwbyrvr
Phil
Phil

Postby monk » Mon Apr 22, 8:06 2013

cwbyrvr wrote:Someone I'm close to gets pretty upset when filling out forms with only two gender options, to the extent of often dropping all interest in whatever it was they were doing that asked for their gender. It's great to hear of more people including "other" as an option at the very least. That's really all it takes for people to feel included :)
So true, if we could just get a little more anonymous recognition from the bureaucracy.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
monk
try to ignore it if I offend you.
try to ignore it if I offend you.

Postby dharmageek » Tue Apr 23, 17:48 2013

It's exciting to hear about minds expanding like that.
dharmageek
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer

Postby dharmageek » Tue Apr 23, 17:50 2013

In my neck of the woods, the atmosphere is quite conservative. I have known, however, several people who were transgender.
dharmageek
Monkey Waxer
Monkey Waxer

Postby PessimisticMan » Wed Apr 24, 12:26 2013

The software we use at work allows 'men' being classed as 'pregnant'. I was amazed that literally everyone laughed about it.

Actually, I can understand the laughter - it was an uncomfortable-but-coming-to-terms-with-the-possibility laughter - but the outrage expressed by a few people really got to me.
PessimisticMan
UFO
UFO

Postby Mathmo » Fri Apr 26, 15:52 2013

Yay Rowan!

Not at the same level as it was never actually filled in by anyone, but when I had to design a form as a training exercise at work I made gender a single-character field (and deliberately included in my fictitious data at least one person who was recorded as something other than 'M' or 'F' - I think I chose 'Q') rather than a bit. This kind of thing should be normal!
Mathmo
established
established

Postby lillerina » Sun May 26, 8:36 2013

This is really excellent, Rowan. I'm always really thrilled when there are non-binary gender options, even though I'm cisgendered.
If I bang my head against a brick wall five times and get five lumps, why am I surprised when I bang it a sixth time and get a sixth lump?

"Isn't it funny that the only time your race or gender is questioned is when you're not a white man?" - Wanda Sykes
lillerina
We are the internet. We are one.
We are the internet. We are one.

Postby lovernotafighter » Thu May 30, 21:00 2013

Sorry to revive a thread, but can anyone recommend some reading on transgender or gender identification topic? Thank you.
"An individuals value is greater than their capacity to contribute to society." -Monk
"I don't drink or take drugs so clothes are my only mood enhancer." -Kim Cattrall
lovernotafighter
established
established

Postby rowan » Thu May 30, 21:21 2013

Kind of a broad question, can you narrow it down? Or do you just mean how trans* people might like to identify on surveys like the one I posted above?
Global warming is intricately tied to the decline in the pirate population. As the pirate population goes down, the average global temperature goes up. Ergo, pirates are cool, and we need more pirates. :pirate: ARRR!
rowan
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!
BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

Return to Happiness