Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Moderator: melsbells

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 8:56 2016

http://narrative.ly/i-started-taking-zoloft-five-years-ago-i-havent-felt-sexual-sensation-since/

Summary: At age 17, the author was prescribed Zoloft, a commonly used SSRI antidepressant. Even though she's been off of it for 8 months, sex is no longer pleasurable for her and is in fact very painful (presumably due to the lack of lubrication being produced by her vagina).

This problem isn't specific to females; males also experience incurable sexual dysfunction from these highly toxic drugs. Don't ruin your kid's life by listening to the drug dealers that this fucked world calls doctors. Their goal is to sell drugs; no more, no less. Obviously if you have sexual dysfunction from Zoloft, you need Viagra, right? The drug-pushing "medical" industry sickens me; we need to go back to natural remedies. I recommend St. John's Wort and fish oil as natural antidepressants. Masturbation is also a great mood lifter, assuming one's sexual organs haven't been disabled by SSRIs.

Taurwen

Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jul 2, 9:33 2016

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Taurwen » Sun Sep 11, 9:09 2016

Be careful here. A lot of people have legitimate problems with their brain chemistry that can be helped by prescription anti-depressants. Vilifying them can be dangerous.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9224
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 9:17 2016

I'd also rather have side effects than be dead. *shrug* And of course anecdotes =/= data. Often depression itself reduces sexual function, and a side effect of taking SSRIs is to have your sexual appetite return.

Also water-based lube is your friend. ;)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Taurwen

Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jul 2, 9:33 2016

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Taurwen » Sun Sep 11, 9:26 2016

rowan wrote:Also water-based lube is your friend. ;)


So much truth.

For what it's worth, the biggest hit to my sexual desire was taking a low dose birth control (It also worsened my depression in such a way that when I stopped taking it I distinctly remember thinking "I feel really weird. What is this? Oh! This is happiness!" which is just a weird thing to catch yourself thinking.)
Obviously any medication that messes with brain chemistry or hormones is going to have a wide range of side effects, that's why it's generally suggested that you only take them under the supervision of a doctor. Heck, my doctor wouldn't consider even suggesting anti-depressants until I was seeing a therapist so that I'd have two professionals (One I talked to weekly) watching my mental health.
And being someone who just gave birth (Wacky hormones going in every direction) my doctor has been really watchful of PPD. I'm pretty convinced the world suffers from lack of good Doctors, I'm so lucky to have mine.

I also just asked my sister if she thinks more masturbation would have stopped her suicide attempt in high school and she laughed at me. (But that's just being silly. I do actually agree that masturbation is a wonderful and magical thing)

User avatar
octarineoboe
member
member
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 28, 21:25 2012
Location: Midwestern US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby octarineoboe » Sun Sep 11, 9:53 2016

Not wanting to have sex is OK too though. It doesn't make antidepressants inherently bad; lowered libido is a possible side effect that should be considered, but it's a tradeoff that some can choose to make.

Also, PSA: there are many medical conditions that can cause sex to be painful. The answer is to see a pelvic pain specialist who can figure out what the problem is and treat it.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9224
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 10:04 2016

^I saw one for a different issue that never resolved after having the kidlet. We talked a little about pain, but that wasn't my problem. They do more than just pain!

Yeah it took me 8 years, I recommend not waiting that long haha.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 10:12 2016

octarineoboe wrote:Not wanting to have sex is OK too though.

Not really, not for me at least. Maybe for some people.

octarineoboe wrote:It doesn't make antidepressants inherently bad; lowered libido is a possible side effect that should be considered, but it's a tradeoff that some can choose to make.

The article I linked indicates that the effect is permanent (it doesn't get better when the drug is stopped). I don't think that's a tradeoff anyone would choose to make, except nuns and monks I suppose.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9224
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 10:24 2016

I think people should be able to make their own choices, don't you? Also your link is *one person* not a large group of people.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Taurwen

Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jul 2, 9:33 2016

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Taurwen » Sun Sep 11, 10:25 2016

I'd deal with zero/low libido over crushing depression (that doesn't do much for the libido itself) and suicidal tendencies that run in my family. I'm just one person though. If I were going to make a sweeping generalisation about how people would feel in this kind of situation I'd venture that a low libido is hardly the worst thing the world, plenty of people have them naturally.

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Sonic# » Sun Sep 11, 10:45 2016

I'm wary of advice that treats doctors exclusively as drug-pushers. Yes, there are problems with the overprescription of drugs and (especially in the US) prices for penicillin, epinephrine, and other drugs being raised by companies with impunity. My partner's doctor recommended she get an epi-pen for her allergies, but was unaware that it would cost us a few hundred dollars even with our insurance.

Our doctor is also awesome enough to be open when we ask for an alternative that might cost a little less, or to speak frankly about possible side-effects of medicines and whether it's best we be on them. She's not pushing drugs. She's helping us. This includes prescribing antidepressants that help my partner function.

So I don't see a basis for proclaiming antidepressants toxic in general.

User avatar
MFS
member
member
Posts: 17010
Joined: Mon Sep 2, 10:58 2002
Location: The Sporkopolis
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby MFS » Sun Sep 11, 13:04 2016

Risk vs. reward. There is no such thing ever as a no-risk medication. I dislike it when a medication is villified due to a super-rare adverse responder. I dislike it more when an entire class of medications are villified due to that same instance.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

User avatar
octarineoboe
member
member
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 28, 21:25 2012
Location: Midwestern US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby octarineoboe » Sun Sep 11, 13:22 2016

rowan wrote:Yeah it took me 8 years, I recommend not waiting that long haha.

FUN FACT: It takes women with certain pelvic pain disorders an average of like 6 years to be diagnosed! (it's not a fun fact it's a fact that makes me sooo angry actually because it's symptomatic of the ways our medical system de-prioritizes women's issues and the ways society makes it so hard to talk about sex and how we don't teach girls/women what sex should feel like so they don't always know that there's a problem AND for bonus funsies probably also has to do with the high cost of medical care here, wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee)

(yes I do get soapbox-y on this issue, mostly because I care about it a lot and i'm better at talking about it on the internet than in real life. Sorry for going somewhat off topic but notsorry because maybe someone who needs to see a specialist is reading this and it could help them.)

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Sun Sep 11, 13:29 2016

MFS wrote:Risk vs. reward. There is no such thing ever as a no-risk medication. I dislike it when a medication is villified due to a super-rare adverse responder. I dislike it more when an entire class of medications are villified due to that same instance.

It's not super-rare at all, it's a very common side effect of the entire class of SSRIs.

User avatar
rowan
member
member
Posts: 9224
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 11:01 2004
Location: US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby rowan » Sun Sep 11, 13:33 2016

I should clarify: it only took that long for me (again not a pain issue) because I waited that long to go see someone about it. But my healthcare team is pretty awesome, so there's that. Not everyone has access to as many choices of doctor as I do.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

User avatar
octarineoboe
member
member
Posts: 929
Joined: Mon May 28, 21:25 2012
Location: Midwestern US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby octarineoboe » Sun Sep 11, 14:03 2016

yeah, I got that sense from your post, I just like to share my fun facts.

User avatar
Bork
member
member
Posts: 8120
Joined: Tue Sep 2, 11:44 2003
Location: wherever I am, I'm probably sitting on my ass
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Bork » Tue Sep 13, 18:03 2016

There's a lot more to life than sex. Like, being alive for starters. Don't ruin your kid's life by preventing them from treating their depression with antidepressants, if that's what they need.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Tue Sep 13, 18:47 2016

You don't need SSRIs to prevent suicide. Psychoactive drugs are a last resort for treating depression, in which case marijuana should be used. A combination of St. John's Wort and fish oil even without weed is more effective than SSRIs. Masturbation is a lovely natural antidepressant that doesn't even rely on any external substances (unless you're circumcised, in which case you need a lubricant). Adjusting one's attitude is a good way to come out of depression; if you don't suffer from physical pain or physical necessity, you have everything you need to be happy, so stop complaining.

Taurwen

Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Jul 2, 9:33 2016

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Taurwen » Tue Sep 13, 19:01 2016

Angelica wrote:You don't need SSRIs to prevent suicide. Psychoactive drugs are a last resort for treating depression, in which case marijuana should be used. A combination of St. John's Wort and fish oil even without weed is more effective than SSRIs. Masturbation is a lovely natural antidepressant that doesn't even rely on any external substances (unless you're circumcised, in which case you need a lubricant). Adjusting one's attitude is a good way to come out of depression; if you don't suffer from physical pain or physical necessity, you have everything you need to be happy, so stop complaining.


All right, that's so insulting it's not even worth addressing anything else.

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Tue Sep 13, 19:42 2016

Why is it insulting? It's the absolute, unvarnished truth.

User avatar
Bork
member
member
Posts: 8120
Joined: Tue Sep 2, 11:44 2003
Location: wherever I am, I'm probably sitting on my ass
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Bork » Tue Sep 13, 21:46 2016

Oh snap, I need to get fish oil for my dog. Thanks for the reminder!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

User avatar
Sonic#
member
member
Posts: 4838
Joined: Sat Nov 7, 9:37 2009
Location: Georgia, US

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Sonic# » Tue Sep 13, 21:57 2016

Angelica wrote:Why is it insulting? It's the absolute, unvarnished truth.


No it isn't. You've provided no citations, sources, or anything else to suggest that all antidepressants are bad or that positive thinking is always sufficient to help people out of depression.

It's insulting because you're blaming people for their own depression and telling them to stop complaining.

User avatar
Nech
member
member
Posts: 377
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 13:50 2015
Location: Canada

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Nech » Wed Sep 14, 3:57 2016

As someone who struggles with depression, and have since I was a teenager (let me tell you that copious amounts of masturbation do not alter a damn thing), I'm still at a loss as to why you think circumcised men need lube to masturbate. Cause that's just false (never mind the rest of what you say).
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Wed Sep 14, 5:24 2016

Nech wrote:I'm still at a loss as to why you think circumcised men need lube to masturbate. Cause that's just false (never mind the rest of what you say).

Well, I've had sex with 2 circumcised males in my lifetime and both of them told me they needed lube. Furthermore, one of them said that it was because he was circumcised and told his friend that if one is circumcised one needs lube. I know that's not a big sample size, but if they thought so, it's not just my claim, but rather the claim of the circumcised individuals themselves.

As far as depression, maybe you're not understanding what I said. The satisfaction of all physical necessities and a positive attitude is in fact the key to happiness. People only think they have problems unless they're physical; it's all in the mind.

User avatar
Angelica
member
member
Posts: 140
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 8:36 2016
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby Angelica » Wed Sep 14, 7:24 2016

Bork wrote:There's a lot more to life than sex.

That's fucked up in this context. That's like saying "there's a lot more to life than eating, so who cares if you go hungry". You need to eat and you need some form of sexual release, either masturbation or sex with a partner. It's a physiological necessity.

User avatar
ladyhawk
member
member
Posts: 926
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 13:47 2011
Contact:

Re: Don't give your kids antidepressants.

Postby ladyhawk » Wed Sep 14, 8:18 2016

Really? More fucked up than you telling people suffering from depression and suicidal ideations to stop complaining and just be happy? Do you read what you post, or do you just turn your brain off and start keyboard smashing?
Come, Maurice. What's a simple bite on the buttocks among friends? Here -- give me a nibble!


Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests