Parents Warned they Could Lose Custody of Fourteen-Year-Old Over This

Moderator: melsbells

Oleg

Parents Warned they Could Lose Custody of Fourteen-Year-Old Over This

Postby Oleg » Tue Nov 1, 5:29 2016

There was a time that the parent of a child was the final authority. There would be no way the state could step in and force decisions. Especially decisions that would be life altering and permanently damaging.

None of us would think that a social work would threaten to take our children if we did not let them have sex with their love interests. They would not make us allow our children to disfigure themselves. “If little Johnny wants to cut off his nose, you must consent.” This notion would be absurd.

Not in Britain.

The Christian Post reports

Christian parents in the U.K. are taking legal action against their local council authority after it undermined their parental rights and sided with their 14-year-old daughter who says she wants to transition to become a boy.

The Daily Mail reports that the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, told local council officials that she wants to start transitioning to look like a boy. The parents have said that she is too young to be making such decisions, however, and will be meeting with teachers and social workers next month to discuss how the girl should be addressed and treated at school.

The Christian Legal Centre, which will be funding the legal costs for the parents, blamed the “transgender cultural movement” for creating what it called a new “conflict of rights” within the family.
Society is growing more and more antagonistic to parents. This antagonism is especially true if that parent is Christian. As I reported, in North Carolina, the Gender Unicorn teaches teens that their parents have no place in such decisions.

This proves that this is not something that is soon to be coming to America; it is already here.

[link deleted - went to personal site]

Nech

Re: Parents Warned they Could Lose Custody of Fourteen-Year-Old Over This

Postby Nech » Tue Nov 1, 7:14 2016

I'm of two minds when it comes to minors wanting to transition.

On the one hand, if they are not old enough to make informed decisions when it comes to things like voting, which will affect the next ~4 years of their lives, are they able to make a decision in regards to this? What guarantee is there it is not simply a phase or they see it as a fad/cool thing to do they want to take part in?

Then on the other hand, if I had been more aware of transitioning as a possibility when I was a child I would of gone through it myself (even at a young age) and felt much more at home in my own skin today. I would have jumped at the chance. I know I'd be one of those children, if born in the past decade of hyper connectivity and internet information, that'd be 100% sure it's what I wanted.

It puts parents in a tough position though of trying to decide if their child really wants this, feels this way, or if it's a phase. But then how do you protect a child from bigoted parents? Parents are in the best spot to know the child and protect them from poor decisions, but also in the best spot to abuse them and force an ideology they don't agree with onto them (like camps that "make the gay go away"). Such a grey area.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Tue Nov 1, 14:55 2016

I'm sure there are plenty of minors who are better informed than members of the voting population. I also don't like the parallel, because voting affects more than the individual casting a ballot and can have longer lasting consequences despite terms of office.

From a medical perspective, I think it's better to transition earlier in one's life. As a 14-year-old, the kid mentioned in the original post might not have hit puberty yet and could be given hormone suppression therapy until a time that the kid was deemed old enough to make the decision to transition with hormones. But even then, I think in most circumstances, a minor who wants to do this is making an informed decision. For the outliers, there are plenty of safe guards along the way. No doctor is going to prescribe hormones for transitioning without some serious consultation.

And I'm completely assuming here that "transitioning to look like a boy" means hormonal therapy.

I'm glad the State is there to step in when parents are compromising their kids, but I don't have complete faith in the position of the State either. After just reading the title of this post, I had assumed it was going to be about something like this story where a 17 year old who didn't want to undergo chemo-therapy was taken into custody by the State and forced to undergo treatment when her parents were in support of the girl's decision. My reaction to that story is that the State was wrong, but maybe the parents were manipulative in the decision. How can I know?

In both these cases, I want medical decisions to fall to minors, if they feel capable of making them.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Tue Nov 1, 16:56 2016

I tend to think parents proved their incompetence with these decisions after decades of homophobic, pray-away-the-gay conversion therapy.
That being said my knee jerk reaction is to think someone that young shouldn't be making those kinds of irreversible decisions, and that maybe you should wait until your brain chemistry has settled before messing with them further. But that only works if you have the support of your family/community and your mental health is looked after. And I don't know the science, Meisbells is probably right, better to get it started before puberty.
Besides, kids are expected to have their whole lives figured out by the end of grade 12 (fucking insane btw), so teens might as well have complete control on their body.
Last edited by Taurwen on Tue Nov 1, 17:25 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Aum

Postby Aum » Tue Nov 1, 17:12 2016

Not sure how it works in the UK but in the U.S. and Canada you usually can't get authorization for medical help to transition (hormones and surgery) until after reaching adulthood.

Even though I support a teen who wants to make themselves look like the opposite gender, I think the rights of the parent should still bypass those of the state, in this case. I mean, is it considered abuse to not let your child make such a decision, even if it's based in ignorance?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

rowan

Postby rowan » Tue Nov 1, 19:32 2016

Aum wrote:Not sure how it works in the UK but in the U.S. and Canada you usually can't get authorization for medical help to transition (hormones and surgery) until after reaching adulthood.

You can here, but there is a lot of counseling and stuff involved, the process is pretty long. My cousin transitioned when in high school (uh, I think, it was a while ago and he's quite a bit younger than me, maybe it was late middle school?) and I seem to think it was about 2 years before hormones started.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nech

Postby Nech » Wed Nov 2, 11:53 2016

Taurwen wrote:And I don't know the science, Meisbells is probably right, better to get it started before puberty

This is 100% the case. It works much better, and the individual has much more "natural" features the earlier it is done before bones and everything is fully developed.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Fri Nov 4, 15:06 2016

I was also thinking of mental toll of going through puberty, realizing a body one doesn't identify with.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Fri Nov 4, 19:05 2016

Nech wrote:
Taurwen wrote:And I don't know the science, Meisbells is probably right, better to get it started before puberty

This is 100% the case. It works much better, and the individual has much more "natural" features the earlier it is done before bones and everything is fully developed.

Not to mention that my understanding is that if you use hormone suppressers before puberty and eventually stop taking them puberty still happens. Which means no one "cut off their nose" if it turns out that the kid changes their mind.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/transgender-youth-are-puberty-blocking-drugs-appropriate-medical-intervention-247082

Ah the daily mail. The best source for calm, reasonable, fact driven news.

edit: I actually googled this to see if I could find the actual facts of the case and spacefem popped up on the results but not the daily mail. Me thinks this thing is actually 110% made up.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

garbage videos

Postby garbage videos » Sun Nov 6, 9:26 2016

We live in a society where human beings are viewed as trinquets, figures, and objects, to be bossed around by their parents.
Parents do not have ownership of their children. Therefore the argument that Society is growing more and more antagonistic to parents is irrelevant.

It is wrong to lock horses in cages and breed them as if they are slaves. So why do parents think it is OK to force a sexuality and identity on their children? A fourteen year old is not a piece of property, she should decided how her own body should look, she should decide who she is allowed to date. If it's one thing I hate it's when a parent tells their girl she only allowed to date a hot shot lawyer, and not the crush of her dreams. If a 15 year old is in love with a 19 year old it is not evil, it is only due to fascist Nazi society saying and dictating how people should breed and lock them into a fascist Nazi body identity.

But it is actually worse than Nazis, why because Marilyn Manson is a Nazi and even he is allowed to wear girls clothes, in fact in the new Batman comics there is a Nazi who works for the Joker, and they are a Female-to-Male Transexual. So society is, in some ways, more evil and controlling than even Nazis.

To be fair, if the girl is a Female to Male transsexual, her hormones are not so important, at an old age Male hormones will mutate her body and have the same effect. But with boy's its more tragic and serious. Boys who want to be girls, must stop their toxic T at an early age, or else their face will be permanently ugly and bony, and end up looking like this when they transition. ImageSociety needs to stop policing people's lives and ruining their happiness.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sun Nov 6, 13:24 2016

garbage videos wrote:It is wrong to lock horses in cages and breed them as if they are slaves.

I sincerely hope that you aren't condoning slavery with that implication that it isn't wrong to keep humans in cages and force them to "breed". It's probably just an unfortunate word choice.

garbage videos wrote:To be fair, if the girl is a Female to Male transsexual, her hormones are not so important, at an old age Male hormones will mutate her body and have the same effect. But with boy's its more tragic and serious. Boys who want to be girls, must stop their toxic T at an early age, or else their face will be permanently ugly and bony

Please use appropriate pronouns when referring to general groups of people, and don't categorically declare groups of people to be ugly.

I don't see how being born male makes medical transitioning after puberty any more difficult than being born female. Puberty in females causes widening of the hips and breast development.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Nov 6, 17:11 2016

Changing your hormones even well after puberty causes your facial structure to change.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

garbage videos

Postby garbage videos » Sun Nov 6, 21:33 2016

melsbells wrote:
garbage videos wrote:It is wrong to lock horses in cages and breed them as if they are slaves.

I sincerely hope that you aren't condoning slavery with that implication that it isn't wrong to keep humans in cages and force them to "breed". It's probably just an unfortunate word choice.

I said it is wrong to put horses in cages and breed them as slaves. So I don't know how you read things. Frankly you are irritating me because I shouldn't have to explain how I said 2+2=4 when you are accusing me of saying 2+2=5. In this age people should have mastered how to read clearly and I shouldn't have to micromanage my text and clear what I have already layed out clearly for you.

garbage videos wrote:To be fair, if the girl is a Female to Male transsexual, her hormones are not so important, at an old age Male hormones will mutate her body and have the same effect. But with boy's its more tragic and serious. Boys who want to be girls, must stop their toxic T at an early age, or else their face will be permanently ugly and bony

Please use appropriate pronouns when referring to general groups of people, and don't categorically declare groups of people to be ugly.

I don't see how being born male makes medical transitioning after puberty any more difficult than being born female. Puberty in females causes widening of the hips and breast development.

Males can have boobs and wide hips. Testosterone is a hell of a drug, can transform bone.
The fetus is female, males have a harder time turning back to female since the natural process is female to male. Ftms on T generally pass very easily compared to Mtfs, even with boobs.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”