stuffed animals

Moderator: melsbells

spacefem

stuffed animals

Postby spacefem » Tue Feb 21, 7:53 2017

I saw in the "what do you not need" thread someone brought up stuffed animals - babies don't care too much about them, they get drooled on and or gross, so don't get too many.

I agree so hard I wanted to post a special public service announcement about it.

ZOMG THE STUFFED ANIMALS. AVOID AT ALL COST.

Can I just say that there will come a time in your child's life, I'll say age 3 and up, where stuffed animals make them SO HAPPY. Big, new, soft animals... my six year old asks for more all the time and cannot get enough and I deprive her by declaring "NO STUFFED ANIMALS FOR THIS NEXT HOLIDAY" and I try to enforce a 1 in 2 out rule because I don't know how we have so many. they come from the air. there's enough to make a new mount Everest.

seriously we were at the bookstore after christmas and someone asked her if she got what she wanted from santa, and she said in this sad voice "no, all I wanted was a big stuffed unicorn" and they looked at me like "are you poor or something?" and I wanted to say "look, LAST YEAR all she wanted was a teddy bear, for her birthday all she wanted was a stuffed cat, and she's already got a unicorn it's just not big enough, WHEN WILL IT END I ask you WHEN WILL IT END?"

I saw a pinterest idea to get a beanbag chair cover, and instead of filling it with beans, just fill it with your kids 9,000 stuffed animals, so it's part storage part a chair. before I was a parent I would not have looked twice at this idea, now I'm like genius.

and then kids are SO WEIRD with what they like, you'll get your baby a neat "lovey" thinking they'll be that unique kid who becomes an environmentalist because he loves the Lorax from Dr Seuss he's had since he was a baby, but the more you love it, the less he will. that's the curse. my friend's daughter's favorite stuffed animal is a boring rabbit they got for free that's embroidered with a logo of their insurance company. my friend hates it, kid loves it, they must find it and take it everyplace.

stuffed animals these days are not built to last. disposable culture. I'm constantly being asked to repair seams, until I sneak them out of the house feeling like a terrible person.

so resist. buy your baby one or two stuffed animals as a token, or don't buy them at all because someone else will. as a parent, you will grow very annoyed with the array of volume-consuming stuffed animals that come into your life, so the less you start with, the further ahead you are.
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

Galen

Re: stuffed animals

Postby Galen » Tue Feb 21, 8:48 2017

Well now I can't decide whether I should become an anti-stuffed-animal activist or just stick with the 6-pointed snowflake cause.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Tue Feb 21, 12:54 2017

I feel kinda bad. Of the six or so stuffed animals my MIL gave us, one broke apart in our hands while opening it (before baby) and like three have broken apart in the act of getting it out of the drawer and to the baby.
She's not even getting super cheap crap either, it all hand stitched made by blind monks from Northern Saskatchewan type stuff.

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Tue Feb 21, 15:51 2017

I wanted to get our kid a stuffed animal before they were born. I was trying to assign some sort of personality to the kid by thinking up how to make an armadillo or something. Spouse convinced me to wait because we would inevitably get stuffed animals. There are far too many and they're almost all polyester crap that feels gross and sticky on my hands, even when new. For a while there was just one that the kid wanted to take everywhere, then two. It had gotten bad enough that I have had to say goodnight to eight different stuffed toys plus the blanket called "towel". Luckily after a trip away with only one, we have resisted the growing bed accumulation, though there are currently three.

rowan

Postby rowan » Wed Feb 22, 13:30 2017

oh god there are so many I'm afraid it's going to be a giant avalanche that kills us all
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

antfancier

Postby antfancier » Wed Feb 22, 19:20 2017

My brother's favorite stuffed animal was a thing we called 'gerbil'. I actually don't know what it was because we found it in the street (not sure what my mum was thinking in allowing him to pick it up, let alone keep it) and it had already lost an eye and was unidentifiable, but he became really attached to it. We almost missed a flight once because he dropped it in the airport and we had to go back to look for it.

Today for the first time my 11month old showed interest in a stuffed animal. Just before Christmas we received a box from Amazon with a giant bear inside. No gift wrap, no note. Just a bear the size of my child. It's been sat in his room and ignored completely, despite him exploring literally everything else that is in there. Then, out of the blue, he made a beeline for it and tried to pull its eyes out.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”