Milogate.

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

Pikachu

Milogate.

Postby Pikachu » Wed Feb 22, 5:13 2017

So Feminism''s public enemy number 2 has gotten into a spot of bother with comments supporting pederasty on The Amazing Atheist's show as well as Joe Rogan's podcast.

He resigned from Brietbart, but was obviously fired.
He lost quarter of a million dollar publishing advance.
He was dropped from the CPAC conference. That's a conservative conference.

In other words, barring some public relations miracle, his career is effectively over.

This is the man who kept saying transwomen had high rates of sexual offences and were essentially no different to having cis men in women's spaces.

Fate it seems is not without a sense of irony.

Sonic#

Re: Milogate.

Postby Sonic# » Wed Feb 22, 11:27 2017

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Wed Feb 22, 12:33 2017

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Thu Feb 23, 1:23 2017

In all fairness, Milo and his supporters have not resorted to local terrorism the way his opponents have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PSYPrE5LrQ
Milo has done great work showing their true colours.

People with logically robust worldviews do not have to resort to violence in attempts to silence speakers. That's the modus operandi of fascists. Of Nazis.

The problem with continually escalating the violence is eventually people expecting violence, will bring guns. And then alot of people are going to die. And that doesn't have to be.

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Thu Feb 23, 5:12 2017

To be fair, the vast majority of Milo's opponents haven't resorted to local terrorism; it's misleading to confuse with nonviolent protesters.

Though if you want to pursue a slippery slope that allows you to compare anarchists to fascists (they're totally different), I'd have to ask how many of the people scrawling swastikas and racial epithets on houses, places of worship, and other property support Milo. I've seen a lot of suspicion of nonviolent protesting, and misperceptions that most or all of it is violent. Meanwhile I've seen much fewer acknowledgements from concerned moderates and conservatives that hate crimes and vandalism have been a major issue (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... story.html ). If we're going to focus on violence as a problem of political speech (and it is in the sense that I don't support those anarchists either), then we also can't overlook attacks motivated by supremacism or conservatism. To follow your slippery slope to the end, if anything like that did happen, obviously the ones bringing guns are the ones being coercive. If that's what you call "fascist," then they're the fascists.

Taurwen

Postby Taurwen » Thu Feb 23, 7:30 2017

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Fri Feb 24, 16:30 2017

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Feb 24, 16:51 2017

Bork

Postby Bork » Sat Feb 25, 18:21 2017

Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Nech

Postby Nech » Sat Feb 25, 19:01 2017

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Sat Mar 4, 11:42 2017

Aum

Postby Aum » Sat Mar 4, 21:35 2017

I think both sides of this issue are going to ridiculous extremes. Milo is an idiot who got way too much media attention, and his opponents would do anything to ruin him including dishing out the most unholy of the holies: an accusation of being a pedophile. All it takes is the accusation to ruin someone.

It's much more effective to defeat opponents based on their merits and demerits. His arguments were so transparently bad that, had they been effectively debunked over time, it would've made even his most ardent supporters look like the fools they are. But now that kind of discourse will never take place because people took the shortcut of defaming him.

The U.S. polity is in serious trouble. Everyone is resorting to dirty tactics and demagoguery to crush their political enemies, rather than trying to heal the divisions.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

Return to “Feminism”