Hello!

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

polol

Hello!

Postby polol » Fri Apr 21, 8:11 2017

Hello, my name is Polly and I study Psychology :)

I am really interested in intersectional feminism and am just about to finish my degree so I am trying to find more ways to engage in feminist education outside of the university setting! I have never used a forum like this before and would be interested to know what people find most useful and enjoyable when using this space?

My favourite colour is blue and dogs are probably my favourite animal.

Looking forward to becoming a part of this community :)

Sonic#

Re: Hello!

Postby Sonic# » Fri Apr 21, 8:37 2017

Welcome to the board!

Answers may vary to what you want to know. Personally, I find it useful to have some places (like this) where people sometimes talk feminism and know a thing or two already. It pushes me to do more reading of my own, to try to describe and work through difficult ideas, and to listen to people who have experiences I don't. (Questions - even basic ones, sometimes even trolly ones - can generate valuable discussion.) That, and I like the people here anyway, and talking about stuff beyond feminism.

As for getting outside the university (something I need to work on myself) ... if you're near a larger city, are there independent bookstores, websites, or other places to get information on book groups, workshops, or events?

rowan

Postby rowan » Fri Apr 21, 9:45 2017

Hi! Welcome! Psychology is cool.

I think I've been here long enough that my favorite thing is the cool people. I do like that we're doing more anti-racism stuff in our feminism too. If you're looking for outside things you can look for some anti-racism groups to join, I find those tend to be purposefully intersectional.

(and here too of course!)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

polol

Postby polol » Sat Apr 22, 5:45 2017

Thank you both for your responses!

SkyBlue

Postby SkyBlue » Thu Apr 27, 15:09 2017

I think it's really important to have a safe space without trolls/people who just want to fight without actually discussing the issues. And sometimes I don't know who to ask about these issues in real life, so it's good to have an online forum to discuss these things on.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Apr 27, 15:30 2017

SkyBlue wrote:I think it's really important to have a safe space without trolls/people who just want to fight without actually discussing the issues. And sometimes I don't know who to ask about these issues in real life, so it's good to have an online forum to discuss these things on.

I love this forum but I'm not sure I'd call this a safe place. Trolls visit on the regular.

I'd definitely second the cool people comment.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Fri Apr 28, 4:52 2017

Hi there polol! Welcome to the spacefem forums!

Psychology is pretty interesting to study, so that' cool! I've been part of this forum since I was 16 and it has been a safe space to find a nice community, I have made real friends through this space, and I have definitely developed as a feminist and it has helped change my world view in a better way. I hope you find similar good things happen to you here!

Also, I love dogs! :D

Enigma wrote:
SkyBlue wrote:I think it's really important to have a safe space without trolls/people who just want to fight without actually discussing the issues. And sometimes I don't know who to ask about these issues in real life, so it's good to have an online forum to discuss these things on.

I love this forum but I'm not sure I'd call this a safe place. Trolls visit on the regular.

Yeah, but we beat them down pretty fast ;)
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

Return to “New Members”