Dating Older Men as a Feminist

Moderators: Enigma, Sonic#

SkyBlue

Dating Older Men as a Feminist

Postby SkyBlue » Sun Apr 30, 8:45 2017

Hi, I was just wanting to know what everyone thinks of this issue... I'm just about to turn 19 this year, a university student (still living at home) and really inexperienced at relationships. All this kind of adds up to someone who you might not think would be interested in older men, but for some reason I've always been interested in older men.

I find it frustrating because if I've posted about this in a regular forum, people tend to almost start shaming me for it. The truth is that I am a feminist and expect to be treated as an equal in any relationship. I wouldn't necessarily expect the relationship to be super serious, but I'd still expect respect. I've also always been a very good judge of character, and I wouldn't ever meet someone from online without taking all the safety precautions I knew.

So, with all that said, do you think that it's possible for a young woman to have a fulfilling relationship with an older man, as a feminist?

Taurwen

Re: Dating Older Men as a Feminist

Postby Taurwen » Sun Apr 30, 11:37 2017

Personally I shy away from the idea of physical attraction on a personal level being political. Is it possible you're attracted to older men because of the media? Fuck yea, and that's something you should probably think about but it's not my place to say you've been manipulated instead of your natural inclination.
The fact remains you are a woman capable of giving consent to an older man if you so choose. Maybe with more details on someone could make judgement calls on your tastes but there's not much to go on with "Interested in Older Men"

Storage and Disposal

Postby Storage and Disposal » Sun Apr 30, 13:20 2017

The short answer is yes, but it does increase the likeliness of issues in a relationship.
"He weeps for he has but one small tongue with which to taste an entire world." - Dr. Mungmung

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Apr 30, 19:09 2017

I mean there are plenty of good or bad examples so I'm sure you can make your own choices. But generational issues might crop up more if you're talking like, 2 decades older than you vs. like, 4-5 years? But y'know, you do you, whatever, as long as everything is consensual & honest.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Aum

Postby Aum » Mon May 1, 17:39 2017

I've mostly dated guys older than me since the beginning, sometimes by 2 generations. The guy I'm currently seeing is almost 3 generations older. I value life experience and maturity above all else and these tend to be abundant qualities in older men. The generation gap can be a problem... he doesn't like when I use Google maps while driving, and he doesn't understand techy things that I take for granted.

You should go with your heart and your sensibilities. Relationships needn't be political.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

DayOne

Postby DayOne » Wed May 3, 0:54 2017

SkyBlue wrote:Hi, I was just wanting to know what everyone thinks of this issue... I'm just about to turn 19 this year, a university student (still living at home) and really inexperienced at relationships. All this kind of adds up to someone who you might not think would be interested in older men, but for some reason I've always been interested in older men.

I find it frustrating because if I've posted about this in a regular forum, people tend to almost start shaming me for it. The truth is that I am a feminist and expect to be treated as an equal in any relationship. I wouldn't necessarily expect the relationship to be super serious, but I'd still expect respect. I've also always been a very good judge of character, and I wouldn't ever meet someone from online without taking all the safety precautions I knew.

So, with all that said, do you think that it's possible for a young woman to have a fulfilling relationship with an older man, as a feminist?

I don't think. there's an issue in dating an older man despite of your age whether you are a feminist or not. Actually, we cant be judge our preferences especially in relation to the person whom we want to be with. As long as you are not affecting others life negatively or committing yourself to a married man then there's nothing to worry about.

rinn

Postby rinn » Wed May 3, 7:37 2017

I agree with rowan's answer. Through personal experience, though, I didn't have much luck dating a guy born a generation before me. He wasn't exactly feminist-friendly (or race-friendly for that matter). But every person is different, regardless of age. I know someone in the same scenario as I was who has made it work with someone, and she is more liberal than I tend to be (which I think older generations may be wary of).

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Wed May 17, 2:00 2017

SHouldn't be a problem IF he's a feminist as well. Feminist/non feminist relationships don't work. Radical/Moderate won't work either.

monk

Postby monk » Sat May 20, 4:33 2017

Speaking as someone who is almost two generations older than you I wish all the 19 years olds would suddenly become interested in older men ;) . But seriously, you do you, and remember it's a two way street, you may be looking for someone with experience, the older person may be looking for someone like yourself without it, and it will be a good match for a bit, until you figure things out, but by then you'll be in love, right?

Be prepared to catch a little derision though. Like mixed race, like same sex, like any other combo outside cis norms there's gonna be some people who don't like people outside the lines their brains have drawn.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.

Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Skeezy

Postby Skeezy » Tue Jun 13, 13:35 2017

Older men if you meet the right one can be open minded. However just as many seek to take advantage and are almost preying on young women who are inexperienced.

Your ideal relationship with an older man is not impossible. Just take precautions to make sure you are to him what he is to you. Remember avoidance is dishonesty's ally. Confront basic facts and if it appears he 's not being deceitful feel free to accept him as the one for you

Return to “Feminism”