how do you travel?

Moderator: melsbells

melsbells

how do you travel?

Postby melsbells » Sun Jun 11, 15:34 2017

How do you travel with your kids?

We recently went on a trip mostly traveling by car and the kid (three years old) was awesome. We're currently planning a trans-Atlantic trip. The last time we made that trip, two years ago, it was miserable, presumably for everyone on the plane. I'm hoping, that after how well more recent trips have gone, albeit significantly shorter, that the age will make a huge difference. All the same, what kind of plans do you make when traveling with kids?

DarkOne

Re: how do you travel?

Postby DarkOne » Mon Jun 12, 7:10 2017

Ugh. Traveling with infants and toddlers is a pain in the ass. My kids are a couple of months shy of being 2 and 4 and I have to take 2 flights totaling about 8-11 hrs travel time to go see any family. To me traveling with kids is like riding a roller coaster. If it was up to me alone, I wouldn't do it. Right before I'm always sure I will die. Someone has to push me to do it, but it's always fine and I enjoy it and, in theory, I tell myself I should do it more often. I always overpack because I have issues. But I'm flying again in 2 weeks and I tell myself it'll be different this time. Ugh. Traveling with toddlers is a pain in the ass.
Last edited by DarkOne on Wed Jun 14, 4:27 2017, edited 1 time in total.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Ileen Kotter

Postby Ileen Kotter » Tue Jun 13, 22:24 2017

melsbells wrote:How do you travel with your kids?

We recently went on a trip mostly traveling by car and the kid (three years old) was awesome. We're currently planning a trans-Atlantic trip. The last time we made that trip, two years ago, it was miserable, presumably for everyone on the plane. I'm hoping, that after how well more recent trips have gone, albeit significantly shorter, that the age will make a huge difference. All the same, what kind of plans do you make when traveling with kids?

What about all those horrifying stories I hear about how babies are when traveling?

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sun Jun 18, 10:52 2017

Ileen Kotter wrote:horrifying stories

The trip from two years ago that I mentioned was one of those horrifying stories. I think we hear about them all the time, or have been involved or witnessed them. What I'm trying to ask people here is, what works for you?

It seems like my kid travels better when confined to a seat as opposed to in a bus, train, or plane, where there's some reasonable moving around allowed.

rowan

Postby rowan » Sun Jun 18, 20:09 2017

Worked for us: suckers for the way up and down, to help relieve the pressure (nursing/a bottle when younger) was huge for us. We also relatively early on moved to getting kiddo her own seat, just so that we weren't holding the whole time. When little enough for the carseat to fit, we'd strap her in and that was a normal thing for her so it wasn't too bad. People were pretty good at helping us along the way (especially when it was just me and kiddo).

At three, I think just having lots of activities and a movie + headphones was a big help. We did a lot of traveling (less so now just with work things) so she kind of just got used to it. Haven't flown as far as across the pond though.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Mon Jun 19, 5:00 2017

We're traveling with a 2 yo and a 4yo this week. A 2 hr flight connecting to a 4 hr flight. I broke down and got tablets and headphones, now I just need to load them with movies/games. I'm packing treats and stickers and crayons and notepads. I'm almost positive I'll be carrying on a (very compactable) pillow, 'cause they don't give those out anymore on board. I'm banning toys that can roll several aisles fwd or back when inevitably dropped (besides the crayons). I was planning on gum for ascent/descent, but I think the suckers for the 2yo will be better. I'm so not looking forward to these flights. Maybe the kids will surprise me and be awesome. I'm not worried about the 4yo. But the 2yo...
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Return to “Pregnancy & Parenting”