New Here, Hi There

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

sisehtopyh

New Here, Hi There

Postby sisehtopyh » Mon Jun 19, 8:54 2017

Your username, nicknames, how to pronounce it: sisehtopyh - a backwards hypothesis :-)
Occupation/Potential Occupation: soon to be stay at home mom, former science teacher/tutor
Educational Status: uhm, I guess I'm always learning :-P but I've got a bachelors in chemistry and a masters in teaching
Notable Hobbies: running (slowly)
Favorite Website/Blog: probably reddit
Favorite color: purple
Favorite animal: my dog?
Favorite food: all things spicy
If you are wearing pants, please describe them: sexy pregnant lady capri length yoga pants
What brought you to spacefem/how'd you find us? was looking up statistics on when ladies go into labor, I want this baby out of me ;-)
Did you find the FAQ link? I think so :-) kinda hard to miss it right on top there

Anyway, I'm a first time mom about to become a stay at home mom. I'm already on maternity leave and just waiting to get this baby out of me. I think pregnancy is one of the most miserable experiences ever. I hate being fat, unable to run, having cankles, and being unable to see or groom my ladybits :-P Not that I'm usually super big on grooming downtown, but there will be an audience down there soon and I don't want to be the hairiest woman they've ever seen ;-)

Nachos

Re: New Here, Hi There

Postby Nachos » Mon Jun 19, 9:48 2017

Hi there, welcome to the spacefem forums! You'd be surprised by how many people don't find the FAQ link ;)

What sort of dog do you have? Is it super adorable?

How many weeks are you? There is a ton of information on all sorts in our subforum Pregnancy and Parenting, but you're welcome to post in other places too :P
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Mon Jun 19, 10:05 2017

Nachos wrote:Hi there, welcome to the spacefem forums! You'd be surprised by how many people don't find the FAQ link ;)

What sort of dog do you have? Is it super adorable?

How many weeks are you? There is a ton of information on all sorts in our subforum Pregnancy and Parenting, but you're welcome to post in other places too :P

Hi there Nachos. I have a shih tzu - one of the few dogs I can tolerate. I love dogs but I'm allergic to them so I needed one that is hypoallergenic/non shedding. She's pretty cool though, trained off leash since she was a puppy since my parents live literally in the middle of no where. She's super friendly to everyone and thankfully not yappy at all. (okay enough dog bragging from this proud fur mommy)

I'm 37 weeks, so I know baby should cook a couple more weeks but I'm ready to be done with this. I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea even though there's no real evidence that it helps - just all of the folk information. Usually I'm all about evidence based interventions but I'm desperate at this point.

rowan

Postby rowan » Mon Jun 19, 11:15 2017

sisehtopyh wrote:Your username, nicknames, how to pronounce it: sisehtopyh - a backwards hypothesis :-)

This is so geeky, I love it, you must stay forever and ever

sisehtopyh wrote:I'm 37 weeks, so I know baby should cook a couple more weeks but I'm ready to be done with this. I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea even though there's no real evidence that it helps - just all of the folk information. Usually I'm all about evidence based interventions but I'm desperate at this point.

Good luck momma! :) Seriously anything after 36 weeks is OMG AM I DONE YET
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Postby Bork » Mon Jun 19, 15:00 2017

Woooo, high-five fellow chem major!! Welcome to the forums, glad you found us!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Mon Jun 19, 16:15 2017

Thanks for the welcome Rowan and Bork :-)

Bork - I really enjoyed chem as a major. Pretty math driven, not too much memorization because you could conceptualize things, and chem majors at my school were fun people :-) I'm still friends with lots of them 10 years post undergrad. One of my former students is now becoming a high school chemistry teacher herself and another is getting his PhD in chem so I'm glad I could share the love of the subject. Sometimes I wonder if I should go back for a masters in biochem and work pharmaceuticals for a bit. I miss lab work but at this point I've been out of the game for so long that I don't think anyone would hire me without me proving my worth. Of course this is all just theoretical because I'm pretty committed to the stay at home mom route for at least a year (probably more).

We have very violent thunderstorms rolling through right now and it is totally messing with my uterus. My doctor mentioned before that lots of women go into labor due to barometric pressure changes so maybe I'll be freed from pregnancy torture soon. I'm totally not ready for a baby, but I'm ready to no longer be pregnant. At least one the baby is out my husband will bear some of the burden?

DarkOne

Postby DarkOne » Tue Jun 20, 7:54 2017

Welcome, sisehtopyh! Which levels did you teach? Only chemistry or other science subjects as well?
I'm not familiar with the pharmaceutical industry at all, but if/when you do want to "get back in the game", a freshly minted degree seems like one of the easier ways to break in if you don't already have some good contacts inside.
My doctor mentioned before that lots of women go into labor due to barometric pressure changes

I'd never heard that, but thought it was interesting, so I googled it and, sure enough, there's at least
one study on that. GAH, some journal abstracts are just such a tease. On the other hand, Weather Underground is magical and let me look up historical barometric pressure for the months in which I gave birth, just for nerdy shits and giggles. Thanks for bit of labor statistics trivia!

Best of luck on the impending birth of your baby! I hope everything goes smoothly and you meet your baby soon.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Tue Jun 20, 10:13 2017

Hi DarkOne. I taught primarily high school chemistry, though I also taught environmental science, sex ed, and java programming. In inner city schools they pretty much throw you into the flames. I've tutored everything from 4th grade math up through calculus, and all science up through college level gen chem. Most of my friends/good contacts became doctors so I don't really have many pharma contacts. I do have a high school friend who does pharma consulting, but I'm not sure that would lead anywhere. Of course I could doll myself up and become a pharma girl, but I think I'm a bit too old for that job and sales isn't all that appealing to me.

The barometric pressure changes seem to have done nothing for me yesterday :-)

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Tue Jun 20, 20:05 2017

Welcome! My aunt used to have a shih tzu that enjoyed licking my toes. She was a great dog. (The dog, not my aunt)

Here's to hoping your uterus cooperates!
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Wed Jun 21, 13:16 2017

Enigma wrote:Welcome! My aunt used to have a shih tzu that enjoyed licking my toes. She was a great dog. (The dog, not my aunt)

Here's to hoping your uterus cooperates!

My dog is a notorious toe licker. She doesn't lick my toes because I've trained her not to. We used to live in a 40 floor building and she'd lick people's toes in the elevator during the summer... I pulled her away so she wouldn't but if she had her way or I was distracted it was toe licking city. Dogs are so strange :-)

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Thu Jun 22, 17:15 2017

Dogs are indeed, the weirdest :P But also adorable!

I've been out of the lab for quite a while now but I've just been approved for a lab skills course which will not only bring me back up to date, but will also put me in touch with some industry contacts, so yay!

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Fri Jun 23, 1:14 2017

Welcome to the board!

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Fri Jun 23, 5:05 2017

Nachos, what sort of lab skills course? This sounds interesting. Lab was always my favorite part of being a chemistry major.

Nachos

Postby Nachos » Sat Jun 24, 10:57 2017

sisehtopyh wrote:Nachos, what sort of lab skills course? This sounds interesting. Lab was always my favorite part of being a chemistry major.

It's more biology based, Molecular Biology and Cell Cultures :)

melsbells

Postby melsbells » Sat Jun 24, 15:36 2017

Welcome! It's been a while since we got someone coming to the forums from that super awesome due date statistic page. I hope you have a timely eviction of your uterus.

When you says that your favorite food is
sisehtopyh wrote:all things spicy
do you mean flavored with hot peppers or heavily flavored? If I gave you ginger cinnamon soup, would you be ecstatic or disappointed that I left out the ghost pepper?

Sonic#

Postby Sonic# » Sun Jun 25, 2:16 2017

^ Oooh, and would you eat a ghost pepper pizza?

I did.

sisehtopyh

Postby sisehtopyh » Sun Jun 25, 3:50 2017

I like both spicy (hot) and spicy (heavily flavored) foods. Of course I'd prefer both heavily flavored and hot :-) If you ever are in NYC and want good spicy food, go to NYC's only Michelin starred Chinese restaurant - Cafe China and order just about anything. Their food is both hot spicy and layered with other great flavors.

I wind up eating a lot of ethnic food because American food just isn't very spicy or interesting to me.

Return to “New Members”