Kevin Hearts forced apology.

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Skeezy

Kevin Hearts forced apology.

Post by Skeezy » Sun Dec 9, 13:15 2018

Its been a buzz lately about how in order to stay good with the academy and host future Oscars Kevin heart was forced to apologize for " anti gay" comments during one of his stand ups.

To be specific it was along the lines of, he didnt want his kid to be gay so he would tell him to stop doing certain things. I believe it was from his 1st theatrical stand up release.

Have to shake my head at this.

That segment in no way shape or form was directed to gay people as a whole. While many bad instances of fathers over disicplining or even murdering gay children have happened. This was a lighthearted joke segment about his own children and his wants for them. He often makes fun of his kids in various other ways which he also did. This was him being honest about straight men fears. There was no hate what so ever. He never said he wouldnt love him if he turned out gay or anything along those lines. It was more so a comical and easily real life scenarios of a father trying to guide his son to be straight in one of the most ineffective ways possiblx. Stop that! Thats gay! You have to be a special kind of soft for that to really bother you.

Stop that, thats black! If done in a similar comical and non hateful way of a father trying to guide his son to his wishes, wether the comedian be white, black, mexican, asain... would probably be just as funny. Someone would have to be a complete crybaby to get offended. Lord knows there are plenty of softy mushy people getting offended at what everyone else thinks.

1st. While everyone should remain curtious and respectful of each other. Society seems to deem it acceptable to start telling each other what to think let alone punishing people for their real opinion and thoughts which is crazy because peoples opinions are so diverse..

2. I dont necessarily blame kevin for apologizing. I think its ok to say " Im sorry if I offended anyone". However it is a slap in the face of comedians of past who fought and lost out on opportunities so comedians would be considered free to be honest about their feelings even if it offends, for the sake of hopefully laughing together. Usually these comedians poke fun everyone including themselves as a balance. George carlin, red fox etc. All refused to be censored for a freedom thats hard to find these days, honesty. A lot of people wear masks in media and comedians aren't supposed to have to. Or at least that has been the direction of many famous comedians who boast freedom of speech.

Still kevin makes a lot of money and some of it was in jeapordy, so it was his choice to make and I think he did it somehwat tastefully by saying, "If I hurt someones feelings Im sorry." Although the joke was about his own personal kids and I dont personally see it as hate speech. Its most likely how he honestly feels about his children and as much as media would make you believe other wise this is a reality and a shared opinion of men and women still. Thats what makes it funny. Despite that, some people are overtly sensitive and the academy wants to avoid any backlash by making him apologize for something that was acceptingly said publicly about a decade ago.

3. With people/society becoming more sensitive, freedom of speech, not hate speech or bigotry, is going to take a blow. Straight men are no longer allowed to say how they feel, at all in the media, even in a non hateful way. I can only hope this comes back (much like most things do) to bite the overtly sensitive, so that one day soon, their honesty will also be silenced. Im sure more groups for one reason or another will try to control what can and cant be said to a fault. As we grow more and more sensitive to how people feel instead focusing what is considered right and wrong, the tit for tat of feelings is going to be a blow to freedom and its already started. Government and law was ment to enforce fairness and justice, not cater to the sensitive and weak minded as that is a never ending door to dictatorship of thought and speech.

You might as well exclude anyone born before the year 2010 from doing anything because you will be able to dig up that kind of thing on just about everyone that has ever used the internet or been famous and spoke publicly.

If Chris rock ever hosts again he'll probably have to apologize for much the same thing although his jokes were less tasteful. Matter of fact any big name straight comedian that worked around the time of the gay marraige vote, is going to have to apologize for non hateful speech that was accepted at the time. In my eyes, much like many current events, its total idiocracy. If anyone actually was promoting hate speech back then it was known back then. Leave it there.

If we live in country where people can actively and safely promote hate speech under freedom of speech, why are we punishing people for non hateful honesty?

Edit:
To relate this to my own social issue, racism. I know I've greeted racist white people within the past decade. Only 1 made his distaste known from the get go and showed total lack of respect. Respect, that's what its about. He doesn't have to like me or anyone. My problem with racism is its power of cultural oppression. People should be free to have their asshole opinions as long as they show respect to the people they have a internal problem with. Your never going to end racism or bigotry in general but fairness and respect should be a thing. In the surely near future, if we get a truly famous gay or trans comedian that pokes fun at straight people, should they be written off as hate speech and made to apologize? (It would surely hurt\cripple comedy in the future).

Skeezy

Re: Kevin Hearts forced apology.

Post by Skeezy » Wed Dec 12, 12:33 2018

After a few days saw another report on this that said the apology was based off his anti gay tweets.

"If my son comes home and plays with a doll Im going to break it over his head"

Yeah that one I really can't say much about but, I still stand by the 1st post.

The initial news report I saw made it seem like his lines from the movie where the problem. The 2nd report showed the tweets then referred to the same part of the movie.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Wed Dec 12, 15:35 2018

I thought he refused to apologize this time and instead resigned. He has a giant platform and so I don't understand why he just didn't apologize again.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Thu Dec 13, 17:32 2018

I'm sorry but this is hurting me a bit. *Hart

He's always made homophobic jokes and the like. It's one of the reasons I've never liked his comedy. The fact he's now being held to account by general society is interesting and something I wouldn't have predicted. Probably this is good news that society is moving in a kinder direction.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Mon Dec 17, 10:40 2018

Not sure if kinder is where its heading. This is just leaning towards a trend of holding everyone to being politcally correct. Which I dont necessarily see as a positive thing.

This boarders heavily on people telling other people how to raise their children because of their own personal beliefs. While groups are all over his apology, many Americans are also behind him and say he should have never had to apologize. Its all around what people personally believe as there is no standard of belief system. Is he wrong? A little harsh with the threat of violence but thats normal in typical black familes. I.e. "turn that tv off or Im break my foot off in your ass" or similar is pretty common.

I dont see him doing anything too wrong and say other people and corporate should stay out of family matters on this one. He has a right as the father to guide his children how he and his wife/baby momma's see fit. He has a right to his own personal beliefs and his right as a parent. When the boy comes of proper age he also has the right ro choose for himself until then the fatherand mother have the right, to guide him how they see fit. No apologies, unless its to the son later in life. Everyone else has no right.

Just a growing problem of various beliefs and people forcing their beliefs on others especially those that put faih in religion or the old ways. Those people still have rights as well. Society has no belief, direction or discipline. Those that do, shouldn't be forced to appease those that don't. Respect and boundaries is all that can be asked and both sides have trouble with that. In this case it appears tthe LBGT community needs to respect boundaries of personal beliefs. While the straight should be made to show respect and respect their boundaries, the lbgt comunity and every social group after, needs to do the same.

Taurwen

Post by Taurwen » Thu Jan 17, 10:52 2019

You're making it out like people are questioning him for his parenting practices. They aren't. He made a public joke about a marginalized group of people who deal with abnormal amounts of violence against them, and people are reacting to that. They aren't saying take his kids away, they said "Apologize or you'll lose this gig." he refused to apologize, and he lost the gig. Then he apologized (kinda?) but it was too little too late, I'm sure he'll be just fine though.

Keeping in mind, this wasn't a tweet from twenty years ago that he made when he was twelve. He was thirty. And yea the world has changed a bit, but that's why he should have been able to turn around and be like "Yeah, my bad, that really wasn't a funny joke."

I wish comedians could just accept that sometimes they make shitty jokes. Not jokes that are in bad taste, or that us sensitive kinds don't "get" but that are just... Unfunny.