Small Town Syndrome

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

jenny_mental

Small Town Syndrome

Post by jenny_mental » Tue Feb 25, 9:39 2003

Yay, I get the first post in ranting ^^.

Okay, but seriously, I have a problem. I live in a small, southern town, and I have for most of my life. It's the typical small town...everyone knows one another, the churches are controlling, and basically it's like a black hole. I haven't had a problem with it in the past, but lately I've been wanting to get out. I mean, at my school, everyone knows each other. The teachers know most of the kids because their parents went there, and huge things are expected of us if they know our parents. Everyone's buddy buddy if you go to the church and you're a perfect student, and if you don't go to church people think you're kind of weird. Everyone here loves this town, and doesn't seem to want to leave. Well, I do. I'm different. I don't go to the church, because going to church doesn't make you a better Christian and that's what so many people here believe. I want to go to church to talk to God, not to prove my Christianity. I don't want to go to the soccer and football games and have my parents get all chatty with my friends' parents. I don't want to stay here the rest of my life and have my children go here. I want to get out.

I think I'm realizing this because I'm getting older, and the light is starting to shine. I don't mind staying here through high school, because it isn't a completely manipulative place, and I actually like it a little. But as soon as I get out of high school, I'm leaving to find a bigger place in the world. I'm scared because I want to be something great and make a difference in the world, and I feel like I can't do that if I stay in this small town. None of my friends really understand me (except maybe one) because they're all from this place, and I'm not. I have dreams, and I don't want to be held down here...does anyone else feel the same way I do?
The Mental One has returned.

MFS

Post by MFS » Tue Feb 25, 9:53 2003

I have experienced much of the same, but at different times. Getting out is always a good idea, but more because you get to experience more and see the world without the bias of the small town.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

paperclipping

Post by paperclipping » Tue Feb 25, 9:54 2003

Good for you!

I have the same problem with church,. everyones like there because tehy want to show that they're christian, not coz they wanna BE christian. sheesh. I cant be myself there, coz everyone's tryin' to show everyone esle up by being 'better' and pointting out their mistakes. I often feel the same way as whoever kidnly decorated our school toilet walls:

Lifes a B**** so why not be one?

hmm...crazzy ^_^. i have too much conscience to do that ..

focus...fffoocccuss...*when-angry-then-:boot:- :kerosene:-:fire:=:bomb:=:)*
*inset random squiggles here
that will make no sense to anyone
except those with mental problems
or who are just crazy*

LELIE

Post by LELIE » Tue Feb 25, 10:58 2003

I don't really have the same problem, but I think I can understand... I live in a town too, which is actually big enough to be a city...
Can't you go to a university? I mean... live on campus or something... I don't really know how it works in America... But it seems like a way to get out of there, to a bigger city... And who knows, you might learn something!

Well... That's the best idea I have... I'm going to a school that teaches me about Asia, and I'll be going to Japan in the 3rd year, something I've wanted to do for a very long time... Thanks to this school, I'll finally be able to go to Japan, and I'll learn the language ^_^
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't o_O;

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Tue Feb 25, 12:08 2003

the problem with small town life is that it ropes you back. you are tethered to it by your winkie it seems.

small town all your life? wanna leave for college? go ahead but as soon as 4 years is up you will be back.

going to a small town for college? good, but good luck leaving when college is over.

there is no escape. all your base are belong to us.
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

jem

Post by jem » Tue Feb 25, 15:47 2003

My towns pretty small. Its more "unknown" though. I mean, towns next to it don't know that it exists. Theres nothing much there. Its pretty boring.
rare spontaneous unexpected bold curious intriguing intuitive fearless unusual audacious brash undaunted irreverent daring dynamic maverick unbridled soulful provocative strong romantic genuine unorthodox brave renegade radical visionary dreamer

KingTZ

Post by KingTZ » Tue Feb 25, 15:52 2003

Jenny, just don't fly all the way to the big city to be a waitress or a stripper/aspiring actress. Have some actual plans for when you get out.

I think the best way is to go to university in a another state with a big city. Then you can work there when you graduate and you can leave your small town.
You might be a cunning linguist, but I'm a master debater! [Say it fast]

jenny_mental

Post by jenny_mental » Tue Feb 25, 16:38 2003

It's not that I'm bored here, it's just that I don't want to live here the rest of my life. I'm definately planning on going to a university someplace else, and I have some ideas on what I want to be...I still have a couple of years before I make any big decisions, so I'll be alright. Thanks for all the advice! :D
The Mental One has returned.

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Tue Feb 25, 18:55 2003

AMEN!!!! I live in a small town and all I want to do is get out of here, and I just described this place as a "black hole of the world" to someone. I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!
-:chocolate::nut: bar-
Nobody cares what you know until they know that you care. \o/

LuvLuvG_75

Post by LuvLuvG_75 » Wed Feb 26, 15:32 2003

I know how you feel, too. I've lived in a small town (think 400 people) since I was 3, and I've wanted to get out for as long as I can remember. I don't want to stay in this tiny little town! I want to grow up and do something worth remembering! And I know I might have a shot at it, if I could just get out of this little gravitational loop that pulls people back here. So all my life, I've been saying how much I want to leave town. I guess I should have been more specific. My mom is saying now that I have to move to the country, so we can take care of my grandma, and I'll go to another school and everything, after making close friends for the first time in 14 years. Joy... and it's not even 30 minutes away from where I live now!!! At least I'm getting out of town, but I have to leave everyone I've ever known, too, and I wasn't ready for that at all, despite my dreams to get away. Does this have a point? Hell no, it's in the Ranting section, isn't it? But I guess what I want to say is, it may not be as easy as I figured to leave. Plus, you never know what new circumstances life will throw at you. Still, I'm glad I'm leaving. I know that this will turn out to be for the best, because if I want to get out and make something of myself, then I'd better see how I can influence people now. It's sort of a fresh start. So good luck, Jenny... hope you get a chance at leaving, too, and I hope you're more prepared than I probably will be!

PS: I don't like church, either. Too many vocal Christians in one place is too much, and nobody interprets religion the same way, anyway, so....
PPS: This is starting to sound almost like the Advice section, or is it just me? ^_^

drunken dragon

Post by drunken dragon » Sat Mar 1, 14:30 2003

You know what? I was BORN in the same forsaken town you live in, Jenny.
And, guess what, I still live here. For thirteen years, I have been in the same town. The same house for nine years, and another for four. I have moved once, and I have been out of the state about ten times.
And no one is sicker of this town than me. :mad:

Sorry. I get kind of insulted when someone says they're sick of this place.
It will do you no harm to find yourself ridiculous.
Resign yourself to be the fool you are.