Return of the skink!

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

BCG

Return of the skink!

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 9:40 2003

So guess what? Yeah, I'll tell you "what." "What" is this big ugly slimy snake-like brown lizard that we in Florida like to call a skink. That's what it is, and I can't think of any other state that would have these really yucky creatures. They're long and slick and when they walk, they sort of slither at the same time.

So now, this long, slithery, slimy creature has been IN MY BEDROOM for the past WEEK. Last I saw him, he was slithering into my guitar case. My little brother dragged the case out into the hall and opened it, intent on catching the little menace, but it slithered out and right back into my room, where we chased it across the floor, behind some videos, and finally lost track of it behind my entertainment center.

At the present time, I am sitting stiff with fear in my chair, because I have spotted the little booger again. He's sitting on top of my laptop battery and giving me the evil eye. I don't know why, perhaps he's unhappy that my bedroom doesn't get proper room service and he's hungry for some blood. In any case, I have used my cell phone to call my step-father's cell phone (we're both in the same house, mind you), and he's on his way over with a cup.

A chase ensues. Our cleaning lady just walked in the door, and caught interest, so now it's me in my bathrobe, my cleaning lady ratttling off facts about lizards and skinks, and my step-father, making remarks like "Oooh, he's so cuuute!" and then hopping back when the skink looks in his direction.

He (the skink, which I've decided is male because why else would he still be skulking around my bedroom?) has run under my chair. The cleaning lady bats at him with a piece of paper. Luckily, there is a sliding glass door in my room that leads to the porch, so we've opened that. The skink crawls out! I'M FREE! I won't have lizards crawling on me in my sleep anymore! HAHAHA!

(In other news, I have a sore throat.)
-Katrina
Leader of the Virgin Crew
:diamond: Hymens are a girl's best friend. :diamond:

MFS

Post by MFS » Tue Feb 25, 9:44 2003

Skinks are cool! Catch one and send it to me!
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

sansspina

Post by sansspina » Tue Feb 25, 10:08 2003

I never got a skink! I want one, too. How come you get all the good stuff? The best my little brother ever did was put a live hamster in the sound hole on my guitar. No fair...<signed> skinkless in NJ
sans...
~~"To be penitent is to be almost innocent"...Seneca
Do not start with me...you will not win.

BanoffeeKitty

Post by BanoffeeKitty » Tue Feb 25, 10:17 2003

*Scratches head* What's a skink?.. I don't think we get them here.. Wait.. Are they slow worms? That's what we clal them here.. At least, that's what we call them here if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. The description sounds about the same.

Eh..

Confused.
"That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Tweek

Post by Tweek » Tue Feb 25, 10:22 2003

BanoffeeKitty wrote:*Scratches head* What's a skink?.. I don't think we get them here.. Wait.. Are they slow worms? That's what we clal them here.. At least, that's what we call them here if you're talking about what I think you're talking about. The description sounds about the same.

Eh..

Confused.

That is a skink.
ARG!!! I NEED COFFEE!!!

sansspina

Post by sansspina » Tue Feb 25, 10:26 2003

Uncle Earl! Where ya been? We missed ya...
sans...

mindless_mongoose943

Yayness

Post by mindless_mongoose943 » Tue Feb 25, 10:32 2003

I wish I had an uncle earl, think of the possibilities.....actually don't...really don't ....EWWWWWWWWW!
Anyway, skink ......coooooooooooool.
:monkey: peregrin took :monkey:

BCG

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 10:46 2003

Tweek wrote: Image

That is a skink.
That is EXACTLY what he looked like.
-Katrina

LELIE

Post by LELIE » Tue Feb 25, 10:51 2003

Awww.. that's so cute ^_^ Reminds me of the watersalamons we had when I was a kid. I loved watching them! Send me one too!!!!
Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't o_O;

sansspina

Post by sansspina » Tue Feb 25, 10:51 2003

My uncle Earl was a moonshiner, my Uncle Albert was the county sheriff...as you may imagine, this caused no end of problems in my father's family. Still want him?...ha ha ha
sans...

BanoffeeKitty

Post by BanoffeeKitty » Tue Feb 25, 10:58 2003

.. I want one. o.o Someone give me a skink..
Last edited by BanoffeeKitty on Tue Feb 25, 10:59 2003, edited 1 time in total.
"That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?"

BCG

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 10:59 2003

I'm going into the skink-selling business. It's a big moneymaker, according to what I've seen on this forum.
-Katrina

BanoffeeKitty

Post by BanoffeeKitty » Tue Feb 25, 11:00 2003

Can I place an order, BCG?

BCG

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 11:11 2003

There's a maximum limit of two skinks per household, and please allow 6-8 weeks for delivery. Also, I'm not quite sure how to distinguish male from female, so please don't try to specify.
-Katrina

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Tue Feb 25, 12:12 2003

when i was a kid and visiting in florida, i used to try to step on just the tail of the skink. then he would get so freaked out that he would jump a mile (in skink distance). i loved watching him leave behind his tail because it was stuck and he was running away. i was a twisted kid. i still am a twisted kid. but that is another story altogether.
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

BCG

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 12:35 2003

I think it's anoles that have the detachable tails. My little brothers loved to try to catch them and end up with wriggling tails in their hands while the lizard scampered away. I always thought it was gross. The tail still moves for a while after the lizard is gone.
-Katrina

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Tue Feb 25, 13:51 2003

just because it is gross doesnt mean that it isnt FUN!

when i mean fun, what i really mean is quality family fun.
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

Zorpisuttle

Post by Zorpisuttle » Tue Feb 25, 14:15 2003

The little green ones are the bestest. I think they're called anoles, though maybe it's gecko... anyway, my grandparent's pool in Florida is surrounded by them.
Don't make me unlock my word-hoard on you.

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Tue Feb 25, 14:23 2003

Zorpisuttle wrote:The little green ones are the bestest. I think they're called anoles, though maybe it's gecko... anyway, my grandparent's pool in Florida is surrounded by them.
and that contributed to the conversation in what way exactly?
-Ani DiFranco

SBC

Post by SBC » Tue Feb 25, 14:29 2003

that is a very scary creature! :nervous: do they migrate anywhere near PA?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Zorpisuttle

Post by Zorpisuttle » Tue Feb 25, 14:35 2003

Ummm... actually... someone mentioned anoles! I was sharing my thoughts about them. See, there is a reason. So there.
Don't make me unlock my word-hoard on you.

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Tue Feb 25, 14:39 2003

A skink you say. What the hell would it be in your room for? Is your rooom really messy... do you leave food around or something to that effect? Or was it just being a jerk!
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

SBC

Post by SBC » Tue Feb 25, 14:48 2003

im gonna start calling jerky people "skinks"!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

BCG

Post by BCG » Tue Feb 25, 15:29 2003

FernGully wrote:A skink you say. What the hell would it be in your room for? Is your rooom really messy... do you leave food around or something to that effect? Or was it just being a jerk!
Well, it's Florida. Weird things get into my house, especially when, like I said, my bedroom leads right out to the pool area.

Up north, they get mice and stuff like that. We get lizards.
-Katrina

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Tue Feb 25, 15:40 2003

BCG wrote:
FernGully wrote:A skink you say. What the hell would it be in your room for? Is your rooom really messy... do you leave food around or something to that effect? Or was it just being a jerk!
Well, it's Florida. Weird things get into my house, especially when, like I said, my bedroom leads right out to the pool area.

Up north, they get mice and stuff like that. We get lizards.
When I went to Disney Land in Florida there were all these lizards that just waited out behind the condo sliding door. They really wanted in!

Freaks.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!