I'm tired of the sissy rep. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

cheezygoodness

I'm tired of the sissy rep. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by cheezygoodness » Fri Feb 28, 19:48 2003

Alright this was inspired by another post but I must say it. I am tired of gymnastics having a sissy reputation!
I have played five sports, lacrosse volleyball soccer basketball and gymnastics [well you don't really play gymnastics but whatever] out of all of them gymnastics is the hardest I think.
Practice was three or four days a week. On fridays we had practice from four to eight. On saturdays from 8 to 11. and two and a half hours the rest of the week as three practices was the minimum for team members. Our warm up was 20 laps, 50 push ups, 5 situp, we had to stay then in pushup position while our coaches sat on our backs, we had to do pushups in a handstand, we had to hold a handstand for atleast 10 seconds....stretching. Then each different event needed to have warm up. Doing the tricks themselves requires muscle control and strength. I dont think most people would be able to do what most lvl. 4 gymnasts can [level four is the second to lowest level. Ask yourself this: Can you hold a handstand on a three inch wide piece of wood? Can you after the handstand jump and do a backbend then kick up so your standing again? And while your doing those things remember to keep your toes pointed exactly right, make your back arch at the right time, and not let your arms buckle because you could hyper extend them?
All I want to say is that gymnastics is a sport that is as hard to do and train for and isnt dancing around in a leotard.
we're not lazy we just have reasonable goals.

Turc

Post by Turc » Fri Feb 28, 21:07 2003

I took gymnastics in the first grade and then quit. It was tough shiznat.

Gymnastics is one of the Olympic sports I respect and enjoy watching, because it does take a lot of work and excercise.

Cheers to you. :)
...still crazy, after all these years. : )

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Fri Feb 28, 21:13 2003

Gymnists are sooo flexible :D
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Fri Feb 28, 22:48 2003

Baton twirling = not a sport.
gymnastics = respectable, but not sure if I'd call it a sport because I see sports as direct contact with others and such. NOT to say gymnastics isn't difficult because I took it... and failed miserably. Kudos.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

MFS

Post by MFS » Sat Mar 1, 0:08 2003

anything that requires a judge, or panel of judges, to deliver a score, means that the competition is subjective. When this occurs, I have difficulty caling it a sport. Competetive - yes. Difficult - can be. A sport? I don't think so.
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

StarsInUrEye

Post by StarsInUrEye » Sat Mar 1, 2:07 2003

FernGully wrote: isee sports as direct contact with others and such .
i took fencing in highschool and noone ever considered that a sport. is it a sport?

sansspina

Post by sansspina » Sat Mar 1, 6:30 2003

If they can call horse-racing a sport, and they do...though, I suspect it's the horse that does the "sporting", they can certainly call gymnastics a sport. You have my undying envy...tres cool.
sans...
~~"To be penitent is to be almost innocent"...Seneca
Do not start with me...you will not win.

angry-amy

Post by angry-amy » Sat Mar 1, 7:41 2003

MFS wrote:anything that requires a judge, or panel of judges, to deliver a score, means that the competition is subjective. When this occurs, I have difficulty caling it a sport. Competetive - yes. Difficult - can be. A sport? I don't think so.
so what about iceskating?

or cheerleading?
"I am NOT an angry girl, but it seems that I've got everyone fooled. Everytime i say something they find hard to hear, they chalk it up to MY anger, and never THEIR OWN fear."
-Ani DiFranco

midnight

Post by midnight » Sat Mar 1, 10:57 2003

angry-amy wrote:
MFS wrote:anything that requires a judge, or panel of judges, to deliver a score, means that the competition is subjective. When this occurs, I have difficulty caling it a sport. Competetive - yes. Difficult - can be. A sport? I don't think so.

or cheerleading?
I hate cheerleaders
[center]i hurt myself today
to see if i still feel
i focused on the pain
the only thing that's real[/center]
:devil: midnight :angel:

BCG

Post by BCG » Sat Mar 1, 11:19 2003

midnight wrote:
angry-amy wrote:

or cheerleading?
I hate cheerleaders
I hate people with the word "night" in their username.
-Katrina
Leader of the Virgin Crew
:diamond: Hymens are a girl's best friend. :diamond:

BCG

Post by BCG » Sat Mar 1, 11:20 2003

Football has refs. Baseball has umpires. That's still subjective, even though it isn't just a panel of judges.
-Katrina

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Sat Mar 1, 12:38 2003

I still don't consider figure skating or baton twirling a sport and I'm iffy on the gymnastics.
BUT I am not putting it down or saying its not difficult and takes lots of practice, because clearly it does. I could never do it because I'm not that dedicated and I like to play hockey and injure others rather than be all delicate and graceful. Rawr.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

eap

Post by eap » Sat Mar 1, 12:42 2003

I dislike cheerleaders so i dont consider it a sport. People call me a sissy. Why i dont no.I dont see any of them doing the things i do.
Evvvviillllllllllllllll eviilllllllllllllll. The cats have come to take over the world! Moo! :fern: is cool!

BCG

Post by BCG » Sat Mar 1, 12:44 2003

I don't really care whether anything is "a sport" or not. What's the point in labeling it like that? Does it mean it's justified if it's "a sport"? Football is one of the most moronic things out there, and it's "a sport". So I don't see why dancers and gymnists and skaters push so hard for people to say it's a sport. I think those things are more of an art than anything, which is WAY cooler than a sport.
-Katrina

zoe.

Post by zoe. » Sat Mar 1, 15:04 2003

eap wrote:I dislike cheerleaders so i dont consider it a sport. People call me a sissy. Why i dont no.I dont see any of them doing the things i do.
what the freak is all this? can we not blanket HUGE groups of people into one HUGE stereotype and say you hate ALL of them? thats like the third post on this thread alone thats said "i hate cheerleaders." and moreso, the people that say "i hate preps."

does not compute.
i'm not all that cool. but i hope i will be someday.

BCG

Post by BCG » Sat Mar 1, 16:10 2003

^ I said that a little more subtly, but it appears that subtlety doesn't work with these particular members.
-Katrina

athena1999

Post by athena1999 » Sat Mar 1, 19:16 2003

Gymnastics is a sport. If it isn't, then how come there are several Olympic events devoted to gymnastics?
"We must be the change we wish to see."
~Within Temptation