Someone likes you... but we won't tell you who

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

severinatalyn

Someone likes you... but we won't tell you who

Post by severinatalyn » Sun Mar 2, 13:49 2003

I keep getting these emails from SomeoneLikesYou.com or something. They're giving me flash backs to elementary school notes. "I like you, do you like me? Check one: yes/no". The first time, I clicked the link, and they want all sorts of info from you, like your birthdate and zip code, and the email addresses of everyone you have a crush on. Um, not gonna happen. This has scam written all over it.

I'm too cynical to believe someone would email me something like this because they honestly like me and want to know if I like them back. I'd hope that anyone who was seriously interested in dating me would be more mature than to resort to childish internet sites to tell me. I'm convinced that it's a marketing ploy or a joke someone is playing on me. Plus, I'm too paranoid to list the email addresses of people I like, especially when I know this website is going to send every single one of them one of these annoying emails.

They claim they need the email addys to protect the privacy of the person who likes you. They gave me a "hint" to help me figure out who liked me... this person is between 21 and 25 years of age. Wow! That's narrows it down to almost everyone who has that email address. Give me a gender, a location, something more helpful!!

It's slowly driving me nuts, every time one of these unhelpful emails arrives in my inbox, I have a stronger desire to know who the sadist is that wants me to unravel the mystery.

Turc

Post by Turc » Sun Mar 2, 14:03 2003

I just checked my yahoo email today and there were, I swear, FIFTY MILLION of those from SomeoneLikesYou.com. I was so annoyed.

BLARG!
...still crazy, after all these years. : )

severinatalyn

Post by severinatalyn » Sun Mar 2, 14:08 2003

AH HA! So it is a scam! Thank you Turc, you have saved my sanity.

BanoffeeKitty

Post by BanoffeeKitty » Sun Mar 2, 14:24 2003

I had about 3487326532656543264326473264832648 of them things. I filtered and deleted them endlessly to no avail. In the end, I decided to go on the site and see if there was a way to force them not to send them, failing that, kill them ruthlessly. I found out how it works.

Lonely people go, "Oh, WOW! I'm not as unattractive as I think! I'll click this to see what it says!"

Said lonely person clicks the link. "Hi," the site twitters, "Please sign up!" so they do, because they are mindless and allow themselves to be lead on by pretty pink lettering.

"Yay! You have submitted to our will!" says the site, in friendly words. "Now list the people you like's email addresses!" So they do.

Then, it sees if anyone whose email you put, put your email when they mindlessly signed up to the site. I don't know what happens when they "match you up", probably send you another message saying "Someone likes you - I mean REALLY, this time! Yay! We've made you un-lonely. Now give us money. HAHAHAHAHA!"

And they're so simpering and grateful, they do.

Well, probably.

Anyway, that's how they work.
"That statement is either so deep it would take a lifetime to fully comprehend every particle of its meaning, or it is a load of absolute tosh. Which is it, I wonder?"
-- (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

SparklyStar

Post by SparklyStar » Sun Mar 2, 15:00 2003

Those someone likes e-mails are driving me insane! The first time i got one, i was like, "wow, cool someone likes me!" now, i just curse them off and delete them.
Bayushi Neko wrote:I LOVE HOCKEY.

Sweaty guys with big sticks slamming each other into walls...
Quite erotic.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Sun Mar 2, 15:11 2003

definately scam-a-licious. If anyone liked me even a little bit, they'd have to know me well enough to know that I'd kill them if they gave my e-mail address to a skanky website like that! Plus, I've gotten tons of those things.

Painfully awful, yes. spam blows!

Turc

Post by Turc » Sun Mar 2, 15:37 2003

severinatalyn wrote:AH HA! So it is a scam! Thank you Turc, you have saved my sanity.
You're welcome.

Slightly less scam-worthy is ecrush.com. My friends like to send a bunch out as jokes from time to time. Ha, ha, ha.

Also, on that SomeoneLikesYou thing... here, I'll copy/paste my email.
Your crush is waiting to hear from you!

Here's a CLUE: Your secret crush is between 13 and 15 years old.
Here's another CLUE: Your secret crush has Blond hair.

Obviously, you're a popular person. And we're sure very considerate. So take the next step and find out who your crush is.

I got one a long time ago that said, "Here's a clue: your crush likes to play tennis!" and gave the two above. I know one guy who plays tennis, he's 17, and he has brown hair.

Bull.
...still crazy, after all these years. : )

jenny_mental

Post by jenny_mental » Sun Mar 2, 16:50 2003

Ooh, I hate those emails! I used to get a bunch before I unsubsribed. I actually went along with them at first, but then I remembered the only guy I really care about in that way doesn't even have email. Then I kept getting them from my friends, who were so desperate to find out who it was that they were guessing I was their crush. I actually found out who one of them was one time, and it was one of my friends. Needless to say, I was a bit dissappointed...
The Mental One has returned.

zoe.

Post by zoe. » Sun Mar 2, 17:22 2003

never gotten one from someonewholikesyou.com, but i get them from ecrush.com and crushlink.com. its all stupid crap. any guy who sent me an "ecrush" would not stand a chance in the first place.
i'm not all that cool. but i hope i will be someday.

chocolatenutbar

Post by chocolatenutbar » Sun Mar 2, 19:33 2003

Yeah... I'm one of those sad pathetic people who actually thought it was someone sending me stuff... but that was back when I was naive, young, and 14. I am now 15, I know all.
-:chocolate::nut: bar-
Nobody cares what you know until they know that you care. \o/

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Sun Mar 2, 19:43 2003

Someoneslikesyou.com is 100% an annoying scammeriffic pile of crap.

What happens is you get the email saying someone has a crush on you. You click the link, register and begin trying to find out who likes you. The only way to find out any of the clues is to enter email addresses of people you know. By entering their email you are automatically signing them up for the same annoying emails. Its a horribly vicious circle of emailing annoyance that only ends by hiting the 'I want to unsubscribe' link near the bottom of the email. If you don't... it will never stop.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

tanooki

Post by tanooki » Sun Mar 2, 20:07 2003

damn i hate spam!!! thank god i have spam assassin i dont know exactly how it works yet... but its definately reduced spam :D
who let the dogs out... woof woof woof woof :puppy:

FernGully

Post by FernGully » Mon Mar 3, 14:22 2003

I just got an email from someonelikesyou.com and so I am sharing with you what I just did.

I saved myself,hopefully, from any further emails from them by going to this site:

http://www.SomeoneLikesYou.com/countmeout.html
fill in your email address and you will no longer get a single email from them again. Hopefully, they stay true to their promise.
:fern:

Support Ferno-Raavynism! Down with oppressive Draakism!

MFS

Post by MFS » Mon Mar 3, 16:01 2003

I have never gotten an email from someonelikesyou, because I am equally hated by all. :P
It's a big world, and it never stays the same.
:spork: :apple: OMG I LOOOVES TO CHANGE MY SIGNATURE!!!!
squeaky: you can take my base, but you can never take my pie

StarsInUrEye

Post by StarsInUrEye » Mon Mar 3, 17:59 2003

MFS wrote:I have never gotten an email from someonelikesyou, because I am equally hated by all. :P
is that why i havent gotten any either.

The Shrew

Post by The Shrew » Mon Mar 3, 18:55 2003

I'm not special enough for those.

That's quite alright tho, because I am a big loner lesbian.

:note: Cruella De Vil...Cruella De Vill... :note:
I am Turc.
I am :fern:'s twin.

Virgin Crew!
:diamond: Hymens are a girls best friend :diamond:

cob

Post by cob » Mon Mar 3, 20:06 2003

Turc wrote:I just checked my yahoo email today and there were, I swear, FIFTY MILLION of those from SomeoneLikesYou.com. I was so annoyed.

BLARG!
sorry turc, i sent you all those... :P

skeptic320

Post by skeptic320 » Tue Mar 4, 22:23 2003

That's bizarre. What kind of twisted mind came up with that?
Beyond the suns that guard this roof, beyond your flowers of flaming truths
Beyond your latest ad campaigns
An old man sits collecting stamps, in a room all filled with Chinese lamps
He saves what others throw away, he says that he'll be rich someday.
~Cake

athena1999

Post by athena1999 » Wed Mar 5, 15:49 2003

I hate those mails that say "someone likes you!" Then when you log in they send you nothing but spam. One of the mails said "this person's e-mail address has 3 consonants, 4 vowels, 2 letters, and 2 other." Wow. Big help. Turns out it was a girl from school who HAD to choose people to send the mails to, and my address was on its list... I hate that. It's not just scam, it's scam-ola!
"We must be the change we wish to see."
~Within Temptation

El Cheapo

Post by El Cheapo » Thu Mar 6, 4:52 2003

I have fallen victim to it. I just kept entering emails that I knew, because I wanted to know who the hell it was. But I shortly found out that it was nothing but a scam.
- LIVEJOURNAL!
- RANDOM FACT: Argentineans eat more meat than any other nation in the world — an average of 10 ounces per person per day