Pre-Coffee Problems

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Bork

Pre-Coffee Problems

Post by Bork » Wed Oct 14, 14:18 2015

I hate hate hate haaaaaaaaaaaate having to deal with things before I get coffee. I don't need to finish my coffee, I just need to have it with me. Unfortunately, I'm on the West Coast, and start work at 8, so everyone in other time zones has already been working for a while.

This morning was super unfortunately timed. I got in, went to get coffee... and discovered that the carafe was out. So I put more coffee on and went back to my desk to check my email. And then, right as I was about to go back and get coffee, my phone rang. And I had to deal with this stupid, self-entitled jerk who was trying to tell me that what I was telling him to do was wrong. And it wasn't. Because I WAS FUCKING RIGHT. Idiot. I knew it was going to be a rough call when he said, "I'm not trying to be argumentative, but..." Dude. You were CLEARLY trying to be argumentative. Because you FUCKING KEPT ARGUING WITH ME. Also, you obviously are lacking a fundamental understanding of what you're supposed to be doing and of how reporting periods work. However, I couldn't tell him any of that because I couldn't figure out how to say it politely and without offending him and without implying that he's fucking stupid. Alas. If only I had had my coffee.

What is your least favorite thing to have to do before you've had coffee/tea/other essential-for-functioning thing in the morning?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Enigma

Re: Pre-Coffee Problems

Post by Enigma » Wed Oct 14, 15:28 2015

Ah yes the old you're incredibly wrong to the point where explaining it to you sounds like an insult. I've had those before.

I'm not a fan of talking to people before I eat breakfast and I tend to eat oatmeal at my desk in the morning. When I run into work people on the subway I try to pretend I don't see them and hope they won't see me. It sometimes works.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

Aum

Post by Aum » Wed Oct 14, 18:37 2015

I'm a rapid metabolizer of caffeine so it doesn't work on me. I could drink 6 cups, one after the other, and just have to pee a lot... no increase in alertness.

I don't think I'd drink it anyway because I don't like seeing what it does to people. In 50 years I bet that people will view coffee like how we now generally view cigarettes.

At the same time I don't see how people get through the 9-5 without it. If I wasn't self-employed I'd be totally SOL in that department.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

monk

Post by monk » Thu Oct 15, 6:02 2015

For the past three weeks my house has switched to decaf. The first week was pretty bad, I had to really focus to keep on track with the morning routine. Now I don't even drink the decaf and I'm doing okay. If I had to commute to work or talk to customers though it would be a totally different issue.
Enigma wrote: I'm not a fan of talking to people before I eat breakfast and I tend to eat oatmeal at my desk in the morning.
Bork wrote:This morning was super unfortunately timed. I got in, went to get coffee...
You have kitchens, ya know, right there in your house.

Invest in one of those coffee makers with a timer and you can have coffee /hot water waiting for you when you wake up. My friend just put a coffee maker in his bedroom so he can have a cup while reading the morning news on his tablet before going downstairs and associating with his family in the morning. I told him he was crazy but he maintains it's the best 20 minutes of his day.
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

And did you exchange a walk on part in the war for a lead role in a cage? - Pink Floyd.
Sonic# wrote:If these opinions don't matter to you at all, then you are unfit for conversation

Bork

Post by Bork » Thu Oct 15, 9:54 2015

But if I make coffee at home, I have to get up earlier to make/consume it. Besides, the coffee at work is free!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Oct 15, 11:09 2015

I find it hard to make the coffee before I've had the coffee....
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Thu Oct 15, 16:12 2015

In most respects I can function without my tea in the morning, but I have trouble teaching well without it. Tea makes the difference between me being present and me being "on" - raising good discussion questions, directing activities, or otherwise managing the (often lackluster at 8 a.m.) energies of the class.

Aum

Post by Aum » Thu Oct 15, 16:31 2015

Bork wrote:But if I make coffee at home, I have to get up earlier to make/consume it. Besides, the coffee at work is free!
You could always get one of those fancy coffee makers with a timer, so it makes it for you before you even awaken. Then you can wake up to the smell of coffee lofting about your home :)
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair, but to find an antidote to the emptiness of existence. -W.A.

spacefem

Post by spacefem » Thu Oct 15, 17:06 2015

I found that when I started making coffee at home, life got much better. first, I was drinking something that was a step above the office swill. second, I'd had a cup of coffee.

the other thing I do is get to work 15-30 minutes early pretty much every day so I can get adjusted before people ascend upon me. this is where the world is just nicer to early risers, hate to say it. it's not fair, I know. I used to have a boss who'd show up early, wait for me to get in, then jump on me and start a 30 minute conversation and I wanted to murder him. so I try not to do that to my employees.

I think I would actually come into the office, grab my coffee cup and go make coffee, then come back and take off my coat and turn off my computer just so people would all think "oh she JUST got here let's give her a minute".
bork can eat steak with a spoon.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Thu Oct 15, 19:18 2015

I've started taking my dog out before I have coffee. I don't like it, especially because my dog is kind of a buttface and first she won't go outside and then she won't go inside. I should probably get a drip coffeemaker (I make a pourover because I'm the only one in my house who drinks coffee) so I can put everything in the night before and just press the button and it'll be ready when the dog finally deigns to come back inside.

Other things I don't like doing pre-coffee include: talking to people, getting dressed, going anywhere, being awake. Have I mentioned that I am really not a morning person?

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Fri Oct 16, 2:46 2015

Telling people how stupid they are doesn't usually go over well and then they try to dig in their heels and embarrass themselves more.

I try to get some food in me before my appetite is suppressed with assorted stimulants.

Zeph

Post by Zeph » Fri Oct 16, 6:48 2015

I skip breakfast and down three cups of unsweetened, hot, black tea instead. I work early, but I'm pretty good about being awake and non-grumpy before my tea. I just can't handle loud voices before I'm fully awake.

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Oct 16, 7:33 2015

^ ugh, I forgot loud noises! My boyfriend works nights so sometimes he'll be awake when I get up, and he likes to play video games and watch YouTube videos at the same time. It's mildly irritating at the best of times, but in the morning I cannot handle it at all. He'll put headphones on but I haven't quite been able to get him to plan ahead enough to put them on before I get up (which is around the same time every weekday), so there's still a moment of "omg what is that TOO LOUD HELP."