annoyed by perverts

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

geldofc

annoyed by perverts

Post by geldofc » Thu Jul 21, 4:26 2016

I have a social media account where I take pictures of my body and parts of it. I feel like it's an exercise of power to objectify myself and as a means of expression. It feels OK but maybe it's misguided. vshrugv

There are men that leave comments that repulse me though. I guess that comes with the territory. I've also been DMed by some of them and they'll go overboard w crossing boundaries (sending a bunch of unanswered msgs in a row etc).

not really sure how to do this in a way that doesn't attract negative attention. maybe self objectification is unhealthy and will attract it no matter what ?
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Nech

Re: annoyed by perverts

Post by Nech » Thu Jul 21, 13:23 2016

I'd look at it this way. If you were able to walk down the street totally naked, you still wouldn't be "asking for it". So if you post pics of yourself of any type on social media (akin to walking down the virtual street naked) you still should not be degraded by others. That's just human indecency shining through, which hopefully would get weeded out through reports/bans/blocking users of whatever site you use. Hopefully the social media you post on has a block/report function.

Edit: As for a way to not attract negative attention, I can't think of an immediate solution. Just long, overtime, banning/reporting/blocking. And you'll probably still get the occasional creep.
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

rowan

Post by rowan » Thu Jul 21, 21:44 2016

could you post on a site where you can not allow comments? I guess that's the only other thing I can think of, not letting people comment. like some blogs shut off comments, y'know?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Jul 22, 23:28 2016

Nech wrote:I'd look at it this way. If you were able to walk down the street totally naked, you still wouldn't be "asking for it". So if you post pics of yourself of any type on social media (akin to walking down the virtual street naked) you still should not be degraded by others. That's just human indecency shining through, which hopefully would get weeded out through reports/bans/blocking users of whatever site you use. Hopefully the social media you post on has a block/report function.

Edit: As for a way to not attract negative attention, I can't think of an immediate solution. Just long, overtime, banning/reporting/blocking. And you'll probably still get the occasional creep.
you're right. I guess I've been looked at weird by people I know and I've started thinking it was misguided.
rowan wrote:could you post on a site where you can not allow comments? I guess that's the only other thing I can think of, not letting people comment. like some blogs shut off comments, y'know?
yeah, good idea. going to stick with the platform but looking up custom filter apps now. the app doesn't allow comments disabled. closest thing is going private which meh.

Nerd1987

Post by Nerd1987 » Mon Aug 15, 19:23 2016

I bet these folks don't realize why you post and in their mind they really think you are asking for attention of some sort. Like a miscommunication.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Mon Aug 22, 0:40 2016

I don't mind comments in general but some of them are just gross :screwy:

Angelica

Post by Angelica » Sat Sep 10, 14:29 2016

There's no excuse for disrespecting a respectable person. You seem respectable to me. The misogynist comments you get on social media are part and parcel of patriarchy. It is fucked. Don't let them stifle your self-expression. If I were you I would reply to them with my particular style of feminist rebelliousness.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Fri Sep 16, 21:03 2016

Thank you. Good idea! :tooth: