I just want my bank to be dependable and not evil

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

melsbells

I just want my bank to be dependable and not evil

Post by melsbells » Fri Feb 17, 15:30 2017

When I first got married, spouse and I had seperate bank accounts. Mine was way over in the U.S. and basically useless. I had checks, which no one had any idea what to do with. I couldn't do direct transfers. Any payment had an extra cost of converting between currencies. We were just always using spouse's bank. We had agreed to combine our finances, so it's not like it was a problem, but I wanted a little more financial independence. We decided close spouse's account and open up a joint account in a credit union. My name would be on it which was supposed to make some parts of my life easier in the Finnish system. It didn't. I still don't have access to submit stuff electronically because they can only give us one identifying number and we can't both use it to identify ourselves. And it didn't get me any more functional independence because my Finnish just isn't that good yet. We put almost all of our savings into funds that wouldn't be accessible to 1, 2, and 3 years.
Then, a year later, the credit union gets bought out, and we're now the members of some large conglomerate bank. We can't switch to a new bank without withdrawing the savings from those funds and it would be at a loss. Then we start noticing weird charges that we weren't notified about when our bank just switched on us, like a charge for every time we load an on-line banking page to make sure a payment has gone through. Now the bank has been having problems for the past three days (the website admits to having problems for a period of 4 hours on the first morning). We had a bill to pay and because our bank is having problems, we don't have access to our account. After two days of trying, we had to call spouse's parents and ask them to make this payment for us.

This is my fault. We could have just made me a joint user on spouse's initial account. Instead I was all "Oh credit unions are great. My bank back in the States is a credit union and although it's sometimes more of a hassle, the rates are great, and they don't charge me for any of the services I want to use. Credit unions are inherently less evil than banks."
:flamethrower: :2cents:

Bork

Re: I just want my bank to be dependable and not evil

Post by Bork » Fri Feb 17, 20:19 2017

Dang. I have friends who have had a lot of problems with out-of-state credit unions, I can't even imagine trying to deal with one in a different country!

Unnecessary charges - and they're really all unnecessary - from banks make me so angry. There's no reason for them to charge fees for every single fucking thing, they're just stealing money from you because they can. How soon before you can switch?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Nech

Post by Nech » Sat Feb 18, 14:33 2017

Can you start using a different institution and just leave those accounts as is until you can withdraw what's yours?
Where there's smoke, there's fire. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. So just shut up, and bring some water.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Feb 18, 14:39 2017

I have little advice, but will shake my fist at banks for you.

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sat Feb 18, 14:54 2017

Next January. I'll inquire about Nech's suggestion. When we opened this account, I discovered that it's on the bank to close the old account and transfer your money to their institution for you, but I can't see how that could actually be required of us to accept. I'll find out tomorrow.

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Feb 26, 9:57 2017

Oh dear :( I have little advice apart from look at getting an account at a new bank for now?
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.