Quicktakes

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

antfancier

Re: Quicktake

Post by antfancier » Thu May 25, 18:43 2017

I want to partake of this thread. We're all agreed that students are annoying, but this week I'm fed up with stupid teachers who don't look at their test papers correctly and accidentally hand out the fucking answer key to students! It was just one teacher who did this, but still. Also, lazy fucking teachers who ask me for an answer key for the lowest levels, like they can't work out the answer to "use the correct form of the verb to be: I _____ a doctor". Seriously, it would take longer to move your gaze to the answer key and back again, than it would to just mark the damn answer.

rowan

Re: Quicktakes

Post by rowan » Fri May 26, 11:24 2017

Bleh that's definitely annoying of the teacher.

My students complain that I don't make an answer key available. NOPE NOT DO. If I do that no one comes to talk to me and they don't figure out what they're doing wrong. :) So I bet they would complain about me (in a different way from the above).

Things that can suck it: migraines.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue May 30, 7:23 2017

rowan wrote:My students complain that I don't make an answer key available. NOPE NOT DO. If I do that no one comes to talk to me and they don't figure out what they're doing wrong.
My cryogenics engineering professor made answer keys available WITH the assignment sheet. It re-focused the entire effort on process, not outcome (which may be desirable or undesirable depending on your goal.) But I'll tell you what: it ended up making my homework take twice as long because I KNEW my answer was wrong before turning it in, so I went back and tried to fix it prior. And that professor's office was probably twice as full before deadlines as any other professor's I'd seen. The psychology of it makes sense. There is a sense of permanency after an assignment has been turned in and a grade has been assigned that makes me less likely to want to correct a mistake. I sucked at it at my first go at it, I'm done. But if I fix it before I turn it in I can still pretend I'm awesome (even if I already knew the answer). Maybe an experiment for a future semester?

In the spirit of not derailing the thread, my Quicktake du jour: "Good morning." Say it. It doesn't hurt. Even if you don't mean it. Just say it when you walk in in the morning. It's good for you. It sets the tone for a neutral-to-good day. It helps maintain a semblance of basic civility at work. It may even save your ass if that psycho co-worker goes postal. Good morning. Just do it. (Yeah, there's a few people here who won't even return a "good morning." **eyeroll**)
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Yorkshirebear

Post by Yorkshirebear » Tue May 30, 7:34 2017

DarkOne wrote: * What did Jenny die of in Forrest Gump?
Not going to lie I had to google that one haha :)
yeah my little annoyance is really simple, when people just don't say thank you anymore. Regardless of the action if I've taken time out to do something for you at least be thankful of said effort ? Even a simple nod is enough to be fair.
I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not. - Neil Gaiman

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue May 30, 10:15 2017

Yorkshirebear wrote:
DarkOne wrote: * What did Jenny die of in Forrest Gump?
Not going to lie I had to google that one haha :)
yeah my little annoyance is really simple, when people just don't say thank you anymore. Regardless of the action if I've taken time out to do something for you at least be thankful of said effort ? Even a simple nod is enough to be fair.
You should move to Canada lol. Fans of thank you and sorry are very happy here.

The good morning thing was an adjustment for me moving into the land of office small talk. I probably good morning 10-20 people every day usually followed up with "how are you?" or "how was your weekend?". Office small talk is hardcore.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue May 30, 12:16 2017

Enigma wrote:... usually followed up with "how are you?" or "how was your weekend?". Office small talk is hardcore.
Whaaa..??? No -- too much. Is there no balance in the world? Good morning is all I want and need. I work with a bunch of geeks, so there are no awkward silences... all silence is comfortable and welcome. Office small talk is frowned upon. :)
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue May 30, 14:58 2017

DarkOne wrote:
rowan wrote:My students complain that I don't make an answer key available. NOPE NOT DO. If I do that no one comes to talk to me and they don't figure out what they're doing wrong.
My cryogenics engineering professor made answer keys available WITH the assignment sheet.
Oh I provide for homework, just not for tests. I do know that students do the homework with the answers in front of them -- and those that do, tend to do worse in the class. Those that do the entire thing and *then* check their answers tend to do well.

Don't worry I know a ton about pedagogy and what works and doesn't. :) Ideally, I would assign homework and not release solutions for a day or two. But in the end, the student is responsible for their work.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » Tue May 30, 19:00 2017

DarkOne wrote:
Enigma wrote:... usually followed up with "how are you?" or "how was your weekend?". Office small talk is hardcore.
Whaaa..??? No -- too much. Is there no balance in the world? Good morning is all I want and need. I work with a bunch of geeks, so there are no awkward silences... all silence is comfortable and welcome. Office small talk is frowned upon. :)
Yeah, it's a bit much. The worst is when something terrible happens over the weekend. Do I full on lie to the question? Or do I tell my shitty story to a bunch of people who aren't really friends? I've tried saying not bad and have had multiple people say " that doesn't sound good! What happened?" Also if I lie they'll probably hear later if it's big because gossip. Ugh.
"Human beings are amazing... we might be horrible, horrible, but we're wonderful too. Otherwise, why go on?"

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue May 30, 19:35 2017

Enigma wrote:Do I full on lie to the question? Or do I tell my shitty story to a bunch of people who aren't really friends?
Maybe joking/not joking overly dramatic half truths? - How was you weekend? -(dramatic) Ugh terrible. I need a do over. -Oh no what happened? -(still dramatic) I'm not emotionally ready to talk about it. - Oh come on. What happened? -Are you trying to traumatize me? (joking/not joking) Shoo. I'm still healing. Aaaand scene. That way you didn't lie, didn't engage in conversation you didn't want in the first place. Or if you had a meh weekend: -How was your weekend? -FANTASTIC! - Really? - No. I'm just really bad at small talk. *smile*. I dunno... Maybe not.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Fri Jun 16, 12:59 2017

DarkOne wrote:People asking questions to a forum that really should just be a google search.
Follow-up: I just someone ask "how much is a Greyhound ticket from here to NJ? Can someone screencap it for me?" I dunno if I'm more annoyed by the person who asked or the enabler who answered...

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sat Jun 17, 12:21 2017

I like my hairstylist, but I got my hair pretty short from being shoulder length, and she seemed really worried about cowlicks. How do I know? I have a bunch of gunk in my hair and it looks like I failed at a pompadour. I don't even mind cowlicks!

melsbells

Post by melsbells » Sun Jun 18, 11:02 2017

I just got back from using a bunch of the tips in the what we do at boring parties thread. I stuck it out through conversations, played with pets, appreciated nature, tried to be helpful, consumed alcohol, consumed food, played with kids, listened, and still went off by myself and cried.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jul 11, 19:54 2017

Stop. Shooting. Off. Fireworks.

Doge is sad. :(

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jul 11, 20:22 2017

Fireworks? It's a week after ... and they were shooting them a week before that day ... what?!

Friend, I like you, but it's trivia, and you're on your phone. :/

Bork

Post by Bork » Wed Jul 12, 10:54 2017

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGH PUT YOUR DAMN PHONES AWAY AT TRIVIA. That is so annoying.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Wed Jul 12, 13:07 2017

I don't think they ever really stop with the fireworks.

My cat is on me and it's hot. She had to pick the hottest day to snuggle?