Little old white lady.

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

Skeezy

Little old white lady.

Post by Skeezy » Fri Jan 5, 21:26 2018

Ok, first off Im going to give some backround to set this up.

At my job we ship aluminum sheets and aluminum coils. Our averaage day is about 15-28 trucks. Sometimes due to holdays and slow spells, after it slows it gets busy and we get slammed.

Truck drivers have recently had a law passed where instead of having a log book (for drive time, sleep time etc), they now are electronically tracked. Due to laws this cripples a drivers time he can wait to be loaded which is often hours if there is a line. Drivers are usually always rushing and they used to "adjust" their logbooks, a lot of times for good reasons. Now they can't.

43 trucks on thursday. 1st day being overwhelmed means night crew had to load trucks instead of getting everything ready for today which we got hit with 46 trucks today. Long day.

Its about 7:30pm I usually get off 4:30 as Im management but I only usually leave when we are least near done. We are down to the last 7 trucks. Im just going to send one of the trucks to a door it needs to go to then leave.

I walk outside, up to the truck, in freezing cold and its a older lady. I start to explain to her what she needs to do. She replies with attitude. This is how it went

Me- you need to pull around to the door around back.

Her- well I need help getting my wheels back

Me- (I blurt out a giggle softly, thinking in my head, we dont help drivers get their wheels back). Well Im not sure that will be up to the guys, you can ask your loader. The door is in bavk of the building if you go,..(she cuts me off)

Her- Ive been sitting here all day. Why are you guys so slow.

Me- well mam, we had a lot of trucks and it takes time to load. Everyones been here pretty much all day including us.

Her- (I didnt hear what she said clearly enough to repeat it as it was windy but she was still griping about the crew and her waiting)

Her- I'll need help putting my wheels back

I then finished explaing to her where to go.

Mind you I dont necessarily have to be respectful. I can talk to anyone the way I want to, as long I as I dont do it all the time. That includes cussing people out. This is the list of what I was thinking

1. We dont help drivers get their wheels back. If you cant get them back then you dont get loaded, end of story. Im feeling like a feminist today

2. You sat out here all day and didnt ask another truck driver to help you get your wheels back

3. We're slow and lazy even though we've been busting our asses, not taking full lunch breaks and nothing was ready today so everything was labor intensive with the most amount of trucks we have seen in my 15 years here.

4. Why I are you driving a truck if you cant do what you need to do, to get the job done? (Main thought I was having the entire time)

If this had been a male truck driver who asked for help, then cut me off to complain, only to turn around and ask for help?. I'd have told him to and figure it out himself, would have stopped explaining all the need to know shit, and figured we werent loading him..

Basically I would have let him sit there and figure out he needs me more than I need him especially late night, on a shitty busy day, in freezing weather, on friday. He would have had to crawl back to me.

Instead since its an older woman. I never broke character and stayed professional.

However when I left I told the men, its up to you if you want to help her. Other than that its one less truck.

Just venting, just got home a few hours ago

Taurwen

Re: Little old white lady.

Post by Taurwen » Fri Jan 5, 21:55 2018

For some reason, I always enjoyed dealing with asshole women customers by being overly sweet while pointing out how they are being stupid (once literally pointing to one sign saying "It says so right there in bright pink font... And on these two signs over my head, the same bright pink font." glorious day.)

I get more aggressive with men who piss me off. But it reminds me of how I acted when I worked the grave yard shift. As a small woman working alone in the middle of the night I took no shit because I couldn't afford to let it escalate. When dealing with an angry man customer I come out strong because I don't want it to escalate.

geldofc

Post by geldofc » Sat Jan 6, 15:56 2018

i noticed i was super abrupt with an older woman who was complaining about cigarette prices the other week and felt a little bad afterward. i don't mind being abrupt with aggressive men coming at me when i can manage it, but i second-guess and triple-guess myself after in some environments. being nice at work to everyone can be incredibly emotionally taxing and some people don't deserve it. ageism is a real thing though.
:gf: :devil: :syringe:

Bork

Post by Bork » Sat Jan 6, 18:14 2018

Like... putting wheels back on the truck...??
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

Skeezy

Post by Skeezy » Mon Jan 8, 9:16 2018

@Bork

Trucks have different kind of axel wheels. Mainly two different kinds.

The kind she had is called sliding tandem. In order to adjust the weight of the load, there is a lever under the truck that unlocks a pin. Its supposed to be pulled and locked into place, then the driver can set the rear brakes and drive forward. The back tires will stay in place as the trailer slides over them, effectively movinf the wheels to the very back of the truck. This is usually for weight purposes or to load a truck from the rear for support if heavy things are being driven on it. If not done and the wheels remain forward there is no support when roughly 35-40k lbs (12k aluminum coil and forklift) are driving on the back of it.

Usually the lever under the truck is hard to pull since its under the trailer. Even worse usually the pin gets rusty and sticks as well and is in a awkward position to reach. Sometimes you have to bang on the pin with a hammer. Whoever is pulling the latch can only brace with their feet as there is nothing to help support your leverage since the trailer is moving. If the pin sticks and does not come out while the driver tries to slide it, the whole trailer lifts up about a foot then slams back down. This can be dangerous if the person holding the latch isnt careful.

All in all we let the drivers deal with it.

#update

The guys say another driver helped the lady get her wheels back. Then the guys helped her get the wheels back up forward after loading. After that she asked for help closing her trailer doors. Basically they helped her with everything but driving the truck

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Tue Jan 9, 7:53 2018

Well, the little old white lady behind me at the grocery store checkout line yesterday asked me if the flowers I was buying were for myself. I said yes, and smiled. She smiled back and said "women don't buy themselves flowers often enough." I went back and bought a second bunch of flowers and gave it to her and said Happy Monday. She smiled even more. She was happy. I was happy. The end. That's my little old white lady story.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Jan 9, 9:04 2018

An older white woman kept offering unsolicited advice to my wife all weekend while she was working childcare at a fencing event. She was surprised my wife wasn't into fencing and recommended we share all the hobbies. She had comments about how to do pregnancy right, how to raise kids right, she kept expressing surprise that my wife was seeing doctors for the pregnancy, and so on.

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Jan 9, 22:51 2018

One whapped me in the head with her swimsuit today, though honestly apart from the initial wtf it was pretty funny
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!