job application sites

Bitching, whining, complaining, and general negativity

Moderator: Bork

rowan

job application sites

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 6, 11:47 2018

Since some of us are applying jobz I thought this might be a fun spot to rant about THE WORST JOB APP SITES you've encountered.

Today's annoyance was a site that asked EVERYTHING in dropdown menus. How did you find us? Dropdown is typical. But for things like your disclosures (ethnicity, disabilty etc) radio buttons are a thing, people. Plus like some actual *questions* were dropdowns. WTF even.

But the worst site thus far is the one that pulls in your resume info (and these always so incorrectly) and then when you go to fix it RELOADS THE ENTIRE PAGE EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A CHANGE. Fix one field? Wait for reload. Fix next field? wait for reload.

GAHLSLGHALLBHKlfj*dies*

What horrible things have you seen?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Sonic#

Re: job application sites

Post by Sonic# » Tue Mar 6, 13:02 2018

I quit a job application two hours in when there was no end in sight. I think it was for a British academic position, and it involved tons of short-answer questions. Tons. So many. Much fieldage. It was all inane stuff too, the equivalent of listing every place I ever lived. (I don't remember the actual questions; I purged them from my head.)
rowan wrote:
Tue Mar 6, 11:47 2018

But the worst site thus far is the one that pulls in your resume info (and these always so incorrectly) and then when you go to fix it RELOADS THE ENTIRE PAGE EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A CHANGE. Fix one field? Wait for reload. Fix next field? wait for reload.

This. This so hard. Uploading a resume seems standard. Filling in resume info manually is tedious but understandable. (Them data fields!) Having a program try to automate the resume process means that I have to manually edit out all of the mistakes, add the new information, and (usually) wade through a sub-par UI to do so. No thanks.

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Mar 6, 19:49 2018

I hate ones that require you to upload your resume AND ALSO FILL OUT ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE. Either have me upload it, and accept just that or pre-populate things, or have me type everything out. Don't make me duplicate things.

I've been applying for jobs at the local children's hospital, and it's really frustrating trying to get back to my profile to view jobs I've applied for because they don't have a login button unless you search for jobs. And then you can log in, but instead of taking you to your page the site takes you back to the job search. From there you can get to your page, but I think they should have the log back in option when you click on the "careers" button.
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 6, 20:01 2018

Today I hit one that kept freezing all the time, like dang it took me forever just because of that even though what it was asking for wasn't too awful. I even had to stop and come back to it because I had to go run errands

So with you on this:
Bork wrote:
Tue Mar 6, 19:49 2018
Don't make me duplicate things.

DarkOne

Post by DarkOne » Wed Mar 7, 7:58 2018

Bork wrote:
I hate ones that require you to upload your resume AND ALSO FILL OUT ALL OF THE INFORMATION ON THE SITE. Either have me upload it, and accept just that or pre-populate things, or have me type everything out. Don't make me duplicate things.
Well, you saved me typing this. At least I could copy-paste. And last time I had to do this, to add insult to injury, I did this double entry for a company for which I had already worked (and had left on as friendly terms as possible). They made me resubmit everything again even though they could've helped me gain access to my previous profile. Eh. I've lost my faith in corporate humanity.
"Winston Churchill once said 'The eyes are the windows of your face.' " -A man who's very scared of plants.

Bork

Post by Bork » Mon Mar 12, 11:08 2018

Filling out an application, and going through the criminal convictions part - it's a bunch of yes/no questions followed by text boxes to explain my yes answer. Instructions say to write in "NONE" if I had previously answered no.

This is an online application, there is definitely someway of programming your application such that the text boxes only appear to people who have answered yes to the question. GAH.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Mar 16, 7:47 2018

yeah it is pretty trivial to program that

Chococat

Post by Chococat » Sat Mar 17, 18:54 2018

Bork wrote:
WHYYYYYYYYYY

I was doing okay today until I got to an application that asked me for my SAT scores.

WHYYYYYYYYYY
Jesus christ, I'm a wizard! Get in the car!

Bork

Post by Bork » Sat Mar 17, 21:12 2018

OMG what???? Your SAT scores????? That's hilarious! Why on earth would that possibly be relevant?

rowan

Post by rowan » Sat Mar 17, 22:10 2018

Hell if I even remember plus the scoring system has changed (maybe even more than once?) since I took those.

Speaking of, why don't places ask for your most recent GPA. My undergrad was shit because it took me a couple years to catch my rural school ass up and also to figure out how to study, but my grad in astrophysics was really good. for fuck's sake if you're going to ask for meaningless measures at least let me use one that makes me look good.

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Mar 18, 13:16 2018

I never even took an SAT. Why would they want to know how you performed before college? How is that a measure of you 5+ years in the future?

Also in the junk data category: anything from high school, if it's a position that expects a college education or years of experience. I want to design a parody application that has fields like, "List out all of your celebrity crushes from high school" and "Check here to acknowledge that the omission of any celebrity crush may result in your application being turned down." Rather like, "Do I have to list the parking citation years ago," "Do I have to list John Rhys-Davies because I said during a showing of The Two Towers I'd date him? Do I have to mention him even if I wasn't fully committed in my arousal state?"

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Mar 19, 19:22 2018

rowan

Post by rowan » Tue Mar 20, 14:16 2018

I totally forgot about this one job board that I go to where you have to clear your cookies every time before you log in or it fails. Also, it times out after 15 minutes. >.< I seriously bookmarked "clear cookies" at the top of my toolbar so I can just do it. Ugh.