Pregnant physicist here!

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: cwbyrvr, Nachos

lyra211

Pregnant physicist here!

Post by lyra211 » Mon Feb 1, 19:36 2016

Hi all! I've put up a few posts over in the pregnancy and parenting forum, but figured I'd do an actual introduction over here as well.

I'm an assistant professor (halfway along the tenure track) in the physical sciences at a darn good liberal arts college in the northeastern US. I won't be more specific than that because otherwise things get too easily identifiable too quickly, but I love being a scientist and I love teaching and I think I have a job that lets me use possibly the optimal combination of those two skill sets.

I'm also 37.5 weeks pregnant with a son, due Feb. 18. It's been a rough pregnancy, not physically but emotionally, since my first pregnancy ended at 4.5 months with the death of our daughter (most likely due to placental abruption, possibly related to a genetic mutation I carry that predisposes me to blood clots). So while I was fairly obsessed with pregnancy information and statistics in my first pregnancy, I'm doubly so this time around. It's been nice to find a community here discussing issues related to pregnancy and parenting in longer form and somewhat more sanely than you find at most of the other pregnancy fora.

I knew about the Spacefem website in my first pregnancy, and this time around I've been having fun responding to various requests to do things this month using the due date statistics web page (example: well, there's an 80% chance I can meet with that visiting professor next Wednesday...). :-)

Let's see... going down the list of suggested topics...

Hobbies: My job is pretty all-consuming, but my husband and I do some light hiking around our rather quaint northeastern region on the weekends, and we like to play board games (we are just about to start November in Pandemic Legacy!). I also love anything to do with animals. We have a very sweet mutt (maybe part Golden?) whom we adopted from Alabama about three years ago (she also enjoys hiking and snowshoeing with us), and until December I used to volunteer at a therapeutic horseback riding center for a few hours every weekend -- it's a place that works with people with various cognitive and physical disabilities as part of their comprehensive physical/occupational therapy programs, and the progress I've seen people make there is remarkable. So I get to use my rusty horse skills and animal love to do something fun and worthwhile in my local community. Of course, now I probably won't be volunteering for a while until our baby gets bigger, but I do hope to go back there someday.

There's more I could say, but I think that's a pretty good start. Looking forward to getting to know y'all better through sporadic posts as I navigate the newborn days!

rowan

Re: Pregnant physicist here!

Post by rowan » Tue Feb 2, 17:41 2016

Huh! What subfield do you do? (if you don't want to answer lest it be too identifying, that's ok)

What do you think of Pandemic Legacy? I almost got it but then I wasn't sure.
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Bork

Post by Bork » Tue Feb 2, 17:47 2016

Welcome welcome, and yay for more science teachers!!
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

lyra211

Post by lyra211 » Tue Feb 2, 19:38 2016

I'm enjoying Pandemic Legacy way more than I thought I would. To be honest, my husband is more into games than I am, and while I enjoy them, I thought there was no way I'd want to play THAT many games of Pandemic over a several-month span. But there are so many great things about it:
- I like the social aspect of playing a series of games with the same people. We're playing with some new friends (new chem professor and her husband), and it's fun to have an excuse to get together every week or two.
- The rule changes and plot evolution are freaking hard, but they keep the game interesting. There are some really great plot twists built into the game, and it's just enough of a new challenge each time to keep it from getting repetitive.
- The difficulty level seems to be extremely well calibrated. Just as you figure something out, the rules change or there's a new wrinkle, so we're always on the brink of failure, but still winning more than half the games.
- I really like cooperative games in general, and this is one EPIC cooperative game. It feels like we've been building a team together over the course of the campaign, which is fun -- and more than you can do with just a single cooperative game.

About subfield: I checked out your profile, rowan, and yeah, hello, comrade! I wonder if we know each other in real life... :-)

Thanks, Bork! Hooray for science teachers indeed!

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Tue Feb 2, 22:04 2016

Pandemic Legacy! A few friends and I started the game a few weeks ago. We're playing one game each month, so we're about to do February. I've long been drawn to cooperative games for many of the reasons you list. These days, I just get more excitement from helping a team win than with trouncing everyone else. (Though when games allow it I do like being a traitor who succeeds.)

I may be on the tenure track (in the humanities) in the future; we'll see. When did you realize that academia was a career you wanted to pursue?

lyra211

Post by lyra211 » Thu Feb 4, 13:38 2016

Ooh, you enjoy being the traitor?! Remind me never to play cooperative games with you. ;-)

Good luck with your TT job search in the humanities. It's a rough job market out there for everyone, but now that I've got my wonderful job I'm glad I stuck it out. I don't know that I've ever been totally settled on a job in academia (I also really enjoy public outreach and education), but at least when I was in grad school I imagined that my "dream job" looked something like my current job: teaching and doing research at a small liberal arts college. I've never really been too interested in the research university track, and I often think that if my current job doesn't work out, I'll move into something more teaching-focused, since that's the aspect of my job that I find the most satisfying and rewarding (and, in a lot of ways, also the most challenging). But this is 100% personal preference, and I realize that there are equally valid reasons that other people prefer the research track or other careers entirely! Good luck with figuring out your own preferences and abilities and finding your way into a long-term career -- it's hard to navigate the end-of-PhD transition.

rowan

Post by rowan » Fri Feb 5, 10:15 2016

hah have you played Betrayal at the House on the Hill? Because that's totally cooperative until it isn't anymore. ;)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

octarineoboe

Post by octarineoboe » Fri Feb 5, 17:17 2016

^ The very first time I played that I was the traitor! And I hated it (even though I won) because I had no clue what was going on.

I'm glad you have good reviews of Pandemic Legacy - I'm intrigued because I like Pandemic a lot, and my partner keeps off-handedly mentioning Pandemic Legacy, but we haven't obtained a copy and a group of players yet. Maybe I should get it for him at the next gift-giving occasion.

and of course a warm welcome to Lyra! Glad you're here! :)

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Sun Mar 6, 9:25 2016

Welcome to the spacefem forums!

Please tell us a little more about yourself. We have a handy guide at the top of the forum called Guide to New and Returning Members which is a good starting point, please give it a read. Also please find and read the FAQ.

I love board games but I need to find more people to play them with me! Good luck with your pregnancy!
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.