Hoi

Say hello and shake our hands

Moderators: Nachos, cwbyrvr

felipefs

Hoi

Post by felipefs » Sun Feb 12, 14:34 2017

So, about me:

I'm Felipe, 26 years old guy, and I live in Brazil.

As a male, that was raised in a small town, living around people with a strong patriarchal culture, it's not difficult to guess that I made some stupid mistakes. Mostly during adolescence, the age of stupidity, and mostly under influence of "friends", which is even more stupid.

Fortunately, adolescence passed and I started to "appreciate" feminism, even thought I'm not well literate about it (even today). And, in the last years, I've become a more sensitive person, and I'm very glad for it.

Your username, nicknames, how to pronounce it: Felipe is a latino name, you can call me "Fel" for short, as some people do
Occupation/Potential Occupation: Bioinformatician
Educational Status: Biology bachelor
Notable Hobbies: Drawing, programming
Favorite Website/Blog: None
Favorite color: Purpleishbluepink (I'm an artist, and I guarantee these are the best colors)
Favorite animal: Penguin
Favorite food: All the food
If you are wearing pants, please describe them: Boxer shorts
What brought you to spacefem/how'd you find us? I googled "feminism forum"
Did you find the FAQ link? yup

What about you, people? :]

Bork

Re: Hoi

Post by Bork » Sun Feb 12, 17:37 2017

Bioinformatician sounds really cool! What do you do?
Bork is too lazy to bother thinking up a witty signature. :polarbear:

felipefs

Post by felipefs » Sun Feb 12, 19:00 2017

Bork wrote:Bioinformatician sounds really cool! What do you do?
Metagenomics! The difference from genomics is that metagenomics involve sequencing all DNA in an enviromental sample (could be a sample of water, of soil, of human gut!). Currently, my job is making computer scripts to do the identification of fungus (which can be hundred to thousands of species) in these samples.

Yesterday, I just recieved some sequencing data (ATGCATGC...) from coral reefs of Australia to identify fungi in these reefs :D

Sonic#

Post by Sonic# » Sun Feb 12, 19:11 2017

Welcome to the board!

If you had to define your favorite color in RGB, webcode, or some other method, what would it look like?

rowan

Post by rowan » Sun Feb 12, 21:04 2017

Neat, there's some interesting things going on with fungus research. What do you do once you've sequenced it?
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

felipefs

Post by felipefs » Mon Feb 13, 9:17 2017

Sonic# wrote:Welcome to the board!

If you had to define your favorite color in RGB, webcode, or some other method, what would it look like?
I would say this is my favorite HUE range, I usually use it when I do some digital art. The good thing about this hue is that it can be easily used as shading for any color (including colors of other HUE values).
rowan wrote:Neat, there's some interesting things going on with fungus research. What do you do once you've sequenced it?
In the last project I was part of, we (me and the lab team) worked on ecological analysis (fungus-fungus and fungus-plants relationships) and trying to discover new ligning (wood) degradant fungus and their enzymes (with industrial potential).

I see you are an astrophysicist. That's so awesome! :D Once in a while I go to arxiv.org to look for some papers on the subject to read. But, I'm just an admirer :star:

rowan

Post by rowan » Mon Feb 13, 19:36 2017

Neat. I've heard about some interesting fungus-plant stuff that's promising to help with drought tolerance. But I'm just an admirer of bio applications as well. ;)
spacefem wrote:All your logical argue are belong to us!

Nachos

Post by Nachos » Fri Feb 17, 9:29 2017

Welcome to the spacefem forums! I also have a bachelor in Biology, yay! Penguins are indeed, amazing. :penguin:
Ugh, I'm tired of my signature.